News Forum - Thailand tourist fee: 300 baht via air, 150 baht via land/sea

Thaiger

Another Thai rip-off scam. It never ends, does it? Rip-off the tourists and rip off the retirees and expats who have made Thailand their home for decades. Discrimination is illegal in most countries, but it is law in Thailand. It gets old, but TIT. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I was thinking the same exact thing.

This is a FARANG fee. We are from a lower species in the eyes of the perfected Thai Government. Our purpose on Earth is to give them our money.

• Like 1

According to the Civil Aviation authority, the current departure taxes vary from 400 to 700 baht depending on which International airport you use. 
https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Thailand-s-proposed-15-tax-on-foreign-tourists-stirs-debate

Suvarnabhumi International Airport Departure Tax (Bangkok International Airport Departure Tax) = 700 Baht
Since February 1, 2007 the 700 Baht international departure tax was included in the price of flight tickets.
http://www.airportsuvarnabhumi.com/about-suvarnabhumi-airport/bangkok-international-airport-departure-tax/

The proposed new entrance tax was raised from 300 baht that was originally approved by the National Tourism Policy Committee earlier this year. The Center for Economic Situation Administration, the government's policymaking body for economic issues, approved the 200 baht increase earlier this month, (Oct 2021) but it will still need cabinet approval to be put into force. (Watch this space).
https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Thailand-s-proposed-15-tax-on-foreign-tourists-stirs-debate

The new entrance tax is due to start from June 2023.

When searching for flights and prices, the nationality of the 'passenger' isn't requested or required.
Having found suitable flights and entering passenger details, including nationality and passport number, the quoted prices do not change, and remain the same whether a Thai or a foreigner.
This clearly suggests this is a passenger tax applicable to all departing or entering Thailand.

The new entrance fee can only be applied at the border to eliminate Thais from the new entrance fees.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Dasanudasa said:

Another Thai rip-off scam. It never ends, does it? Rip-off the tourists and rip off the retirees and expats who have made Thailand their home for decades. Discrimination is illegal in most countries, but it is law in Thailand. It gets old, but TIT. 

You guys are just too much 

Google "tourist tax" and have a redd on all the countries that charge a tax

In the US, they add some sort of tourist tax everytime they build a new stadium 

• Like 2

Have to agree with others that this is a Passenger Service Fee, but "Tourist" + "Tax" is sure to evoke responses desired by websites.   

CAAT site shows the current/long-standing fees charged for domestic and international flights, same as other countries around the world.  Old Hands remember having to queue up here (and some other airports around the world) to pay this fee in cash, and appreciate the convenience of integrating it into the Point of Sale.

https://www.caat.or.th/en/archives/category/aviation-en/airport-charge-en

Fees on my last trip out October 2022, BKK-LAX/return:

Taxes
Addebito alla partenza dell'utente per l'elaborazione anticipata dei passeggeri (E7AP)     35 THB
Addebito all'arrivo dell'utente per l'elaborazione anticipata dei passeggeri (E7AD)     35 THB
International Departure Fees (G8DP)     15 THB
Tariffe di arrivo internazionali (G8AE)     15 THB

> Thailand Passenger Service Charge (TSLA)     700 THB <
U.S Civil Aviation Security Service Fee (AYSE)     205 THB
U.S. International Transportation Tax - Departure (USAP)     720 THB
U.S. International Transportation Tax - Arrival (USAS)     720 THB
U.S. Animal and Plant Inspection Service Users Fee (XACO)     145 THB
U.S Immigration and Naturalization Service Fee (XYCR)     260 THB
U.S. Customs Fee (YCAE)     225 THB
U.S Passenger Facility Charge (XF)     165 THB
Total Taxes     3,240 THB

• Like 1

The cost to collect the fee will consume much of the revenue. Aside from the physical collection process there are accounting and verification procedures, and then there is the shrinkage. Like most things Thai I anticipate skimming at 25%+.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Faz said:

The new entrance fee can only be applied at the border to eliminate Thais from the new entrance fees.

Interesting indeed. I’m not sure how they will collect this. Does everyone carry Baht  before arriving? Will they take other currencies? Will more money exchange booths be set up prior to immigration checks? Will they accept Credit and Debit cards?  I fear pandemonium in the arrivals hall. It was bad enough when you had a departure tax collected by hand. I saw many times, couples who had spent their last few hundred baht on a taxi only to find they needed to pay. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Interesting indeed. I’m not sure how they will collect this. Does everyone carry Baht  before arriving? Will they take other currencies? Will more money exchange booths be set up prior to immigration checks? Will they accept Credit and Debit cards?  I fear pandemonium in the arrivals hall. It was bad enough when you had a departure tax collected by hand. I saw many times, couples who had spent their last few hundred baht on a taxi only to find they needed to pay. 

As usual, as clear as mud how it will operate.

Interestingly, the Bangkok post suggests expatriates will be able to reclaim the arrival fee at a later date, but then proceeds to define expatriates as those with work permits or border pass holders (?)
There are a couple of other exemptions.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2480577/b300-entry-fee-scheduled-for-june-start

3 hours ago, Vigo said:

The cost to collect the fee will consume much of the revenue. Aside from the physical collection process there are accounting and verification procedures, and then there is the shrinkage. Like most things Thai I anticipate skimming at 25%+.

I was thinking admin plus skimming will probably take upwards of 85%.  TiT.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Faz said:

As usual, as clear as mud how it will operate.

Interestingly, the Bangkok post suggests expatriates will be able to reclaim the arrival fee at a later date, but then proceeds to define expatriates as those with work permits or border pass holders (?)
There are a couple of other exemptions.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2480577/b300-entry-fee-scheduled-for-june-start

Reading that Bangkok Post article you have to conclude it is only people working in Thailand who are considered expats as they talk of paying tax. At least the BKK Post refers to it as an “Entry Fee” rather than a Tourist tax. It’s clearly an Entry Tax for everyone who does not carry a Thai Passport and staying for more than 24 hours. This should be a laugh watching the clowns handle this. As if airport operations and immigration wasn’t already a pain in the rear.

It would be interesting to see what, if any loop holes this introduces to the legal system. Having paid this “Tax” are we all now officially Tax Payers? How does this change the narrative on dual pricing for example. It would be good if some rich Taiwanese actress decided to put it to the test 😉 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BigHewer said:

All of this is true and it’s also all beside the point. Visa fees, camping fees, hotel tourism tax etc. This is not what I was talking about. 

How many countries can you name with a “tourist fee” paid by all nationalities upon entry to that country? It’s a nice revenue raiser but a stupid marketing decision because of the perception it creates. 

Cambodia,Vietnam,Laos,India.I have paid to enter all of them.Thailand and Cambodia I have paid cash to leave.

The main argument,seems to be about what's the price limit we will tolerate before we stop or limit how much we travel.

Few of us will flinch about 300baht,I'm only raising the point about other stealth taxes down the line.

Countries all have,or are going to introduce or raise the current price of airport/eco tax on long haul.

I booked a room in December for 26 nights from the hotel website,when I checked in I was told I had to pay 3% because I was using a credit card.

It's things that make you go Hmmmmm,not one single thing.

I checked out the bars on Sukhumvit soi 7 in Bangkok in january.120 baht for a warm beer, terrible music from terrible sound systems and pushy,not so attractive aggressive girls,things that make you go Hmmmm.

You catch my drift.

4 hours ago, TWS60 said:

Fees on my last trip out October 2022, BKK-LAX/return:

Taxes
Addebito alla partenza dell'utente per l'elaborazione anticipata dei passeggeri (E7AP)     35 THB
Addebito all'arrivo dell'utente per l'elaborazione anticipata dei passeggeri (E7AD)     35 THB
International Departure Fees (G8DP)     15 THB
Tariffe di arrivo internazionali (G8AE)     15 THB

> Thailand Passenger Service Charge (TSLA)     700 THB <
U.S Civil Aviation Security Service Fee (AYSE)     205 THB
U.S. International Transportation Tax - Departure (USAP)     720 THB
U.S. International Transportation Tax - Arrival (USAS)     720 THB
U.S. Animal and Plant Inspection Service Users Fee (XACO)     145 THB
U.S Immigration and Naturalization Service Fee (XYCR)     260 THB
U.S. Customs Fee (YCAE)     225 THB
U.S Passenger Facility Charge (XF)     165 THB
Total Taxes     3,240 THB

The difference is that the current 'passenger' departure fee applies to all departees, including Thais, and is collected via the air fare.

The new entry fees are not applicable to Thais and a few other classes and will be collected at airport and border entry points.

• Thanks 1

Apply this new fee as a blanket Arrival Tax which may be added to all inbound tickets.  It's the only way that Airlines can collect it.  Then, if Thai passport holders (and any others) are to be exempted, allow them to collect a refund upon arrival (at say the VAT Refund office) or their local Immigration Office.

Meanwhile, the fee cannot be implemented until a collection system is devised and the law gazetted, with Airlines given ample time (~6months?) to adjust fares.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, yselmike said:

You catch my drift.

I do indeed catch your drift. I have noticed a significant and rapid change in certain aspects of life in Thailand and especially in tourist night life. It seems like only yesterday, you could pay 65baht for a cold beer in Nana Soi 4. You could get the girls to go get you food from the street stalls. Give them 100 baht and they’d bring lots of food and your change. They would greet you with a cold towel and pay attention. I’m afraid it now 100-180 baht for a warm beer. No food allowed. No cold towel and the ladies stand glued to their phones. It’s certainly not the fun zone it use to be. 

It’s getting to the stage where I’m longer sure what the selling point is of the bars around Sukhumvit 4-15. 

3 hours ago, yselmike said:

Cambodia,Vietnam,Laos,India.I have paid to enter all of them.Thailand and Cambodia I have paid cash to leave.

The main argument,seems to be about what's the price limit we will tolerate before we stop or limit how much we travel.

Few of us will flinch about 300baht,I'm only raising the point about other stealth taxes down the line.

Countries all have,or are going to introduce or raise the current price of airport/eco tax on long haul.

I booked a room in December for 26 nights from the hotel website,when I checked in I was told I had to pay 3% because I was using a credit card.

It's things that make you go Hmmmmm,not one single thing.

I checked out the bars on Sukhumvit soi 7 in Bangkok in january.120 baht for a warm beer, terrible music from terrible sound systems and pushy,not so attractive aggressive girls,things that make you go Hmmmm.

You catch my drift.

All valid points @yselmike and I think it shows how this will be viewed. 

Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, India as you say have their visa fees (India’s being borderline criminal because of their fee scale based on nationality). I guess it comes down to this:

As Thailand continues to advance economically, a process kick started 60 years ago by wave upon wave of foreign investment and tourism, which table at the “World Wedding” does it want to be seated at? Near the bridal table with Singapore, Maldives, Canada and the UK? No, probably not. They’ll be down the back behind a pillar next to the toilets, at a big round table with Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and India.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

All valid points @yselmike and I think it shows how this will be viewed. 

Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, India as you say have their visa fees (India’s being borderline criminal because of their fee scale based on nationality). I guess it comes down to this:

As Thailand continues to advance economically, a process kick started 60 years ago by wave upon wave of foreign investment and tourism, which table at the “World Wedding” does it want to be seated at? Near the bridal table with Singapore, Maldives, Canada and the UK? No, probably not. They’ll be down the back behind a pillar next to the toilets, at a big round table with Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and India.

Great analogy and I agree 😂😂

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

I do indeed catch your drift. I have noticed a significant and rapid change in certain aspects of life in Thailand and especially in tourist night life. It seems like only yesterday, you could pay 65baht for a cold beer in Nana Soi 4. You could get the girls to go get you food from the street stalls. Give them 100 baht and they’d bring lots of food and your change. They would greet you with a cold towel and pay attention. I’m afraid it now 100-180 baht for a warm beer. No food allowed. No cold towel and the ladies stand glued to their phones. It’s certainly not the fun zone it use to be. 

It’s getting to the stage where I’m longer sure what the selling point is of the bars around Sukhumvit 4-15. 

I certainly agree to all that.........I don't think I'd have any interest in any of it today if I were single, opposed to when I was having fun in that world in 2003-2005

But in the same breath............I guess we can say it's progress??

The girls don't need us as much as they used to

And on the flip side of all of that...........the non-p4p nightlife/restaurant scene has exploded and is incredible compared to when I 1st started coming to Thailand

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

By the way............I think younger guys today actually have way more access to non bar girls than what we had back then

You go to any trendy farang type bar/rooftop/club and it is a big mix of Thais and farang

And I don't think that was the case back in early 2000's...............unless it was a p4p place

15 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

The girls don't need us as much as they used to

And on the flip side of all of that...........the non-p4p nightlife/restaurant scene has exploded and is incredible compared to when I 1st started coming to Thailand

I wasn’t just meaning the P4p aspect. I was leaning the level of customer service. This includes flexibility of what you eat, the presentation of cold towels and not having to wait to be offered another drink. Part of the problem is the continual use of mobile phones and the need to check your Instagram or FB. If I was running a bar or any business where people interact constantly with people, then mobiles would need to be left in your locker or only answered when a family member calls. 

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

By the way............I think younger guys today actually have way more access to non bar girls than what we had back then

You go to any trendy farang type bar/rooftop/club and it is a big mix of Thais and farang

And I don't think that was the case back in early 2000's...............unless it was a p4p place

As I was married back then it was never something I got involved with and neither do I now. I enjoy the buzz of places like Nana, Bangla and Pattaya and the fact you are able to sit on your own having a beer without too many odd looks. When I go in to those bars then it’s not long before you are approached, I just say I’m waiting for my wife to arrive and that normally keeps them away 😂

Numerois off topic posts have been removed.  Please take your P4P discussion to Expat Chat.  This topic is about the proposed new Arrivals fee.