News Forum - Koh Samui booms as over 200,000 tourists visit the popular island in January

Thaiger

The picturesque island of Koh Samui in Surat Thani province, Thailand, has seen a remarkable turnaround to its economy in the first month of 2023 with over 200,000 tourists visiting in January alone. After a year of uncertainty due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the arrival of over 200,000 tourists has been a welcome sight for …

The story Koh Samui booms as over 200,000 tourists visit the popular island in January as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Now I know why I stay rural.

When I go to Lotus I can park.

When I go to a restaurant, I don't have to book a table.

When I use an ATM, I'm always first in the non-existent que.

Am I withdrawing from society? or living a stress-free life?😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Polkadot said:

Samui is a tourist hell hole. Why go there?

I went for the first time this past October and it was still dead which made for a nice stay.  I enjoyed my ten days there. I get the appeal of Samui, but I doubt I'll ever return with so many other beach options in Thailand that are much cheaper, Samui doesn't make sense for me.

20 minutes ago, Saunk said:

I went for the first time this past October and it was still dead which made for a nice stay.  I enjoyed my ten days there. I get the appeal of Samui, but I doubt I'll ever return with so many other beach options in Thailand that are much cheaper, Samui doesn't make sense for me.

I think there are parts of Samui that are still pretty chill even when tourism is at 100%

I used to stay just 5min MB ride outside Lamai and it was a great little area

And this last time I stayed in Bang Rak, a little busier but loved it

Only thing I don't like about Samui is the main road can be quite busy

• Like 1

A lot of Thai beaches are very average. Nothing special about Samui beaches nor KPN. Phuket the same.

Phuket has a much better food scene. Cheaper flights.

Kood and Lipe have the best beaches.

The coast below Hua Hin to Chumphon is chilled. 

In 2018 it had 2.7 million tourists. That’s 225,000 spread over 12 months. In the high season you’d expect that to be more like 300,000-350,000. So how is it “Booming”. It’s getting back to normal. Noting unsurprising about the world getting back to normal after Covid-19. The headline should read -Koh Samui starts to see normal tourist numbers return.   

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

In 2018 it had 2.7 million tourists. That’s 225,000 spread over 12 months. In the high season you’d expect that to be more like 300,000-350,000. So how is it “Booming”. It’s getting back to normal. Noting unsurprising about the world getting back to normal after Covid-19. The headline should read -Koh Samui starts to see normal tourist numbers return.   

I think you are nitpicking a bit there

This was Lamai at around 1pm in the day time in late May

I'd say they allowed to say it's "booming" if tourists #'s are close to normal vs basically zombie land 8 months ago

20220508_112529.jpg

20220508_112524.jpg

7 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I think you are nitpicking a bit there

This was Lamai at around 1pm in the day time in late May

I'd say they allowed to say it's "booming" if tourists #'s are close to normal vs basically zombie land 8 months ago

20220508_112529.jpg

20220508_112524.jpg

Well I guess it’s the choice of words. If it’s been raining heavily and stops. You don’t imply that suddenly there are clear blue skies and record temperatures. You just say it’s stopped raining. The Thai media have a way of overstating things. That said, I prefer optimism over the ultra negative western media. 

2 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I would challenge you on that 5555

There’s optimism and theirs blind faith. I think I’m optimistic but I’m not prepared to ignore things which are wrong but masquerading as cultural differences. 

2 minutes ago, Soidog said:

There’s optimism and theirs blind faith. I think I’m optimistic but I’m not prepared to ignore things which are wrong but masquerading as cultural differences. 

Exhibit A your Honor

@Soidog took issue with the article using the word "booming"

I rest my case your Honor 5555

5 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Exhibit A your Honor

@Soidog took issue with the article using the word "booming"

I rest my case your Honor 5555

I did take issue. I’m sick of hearing that life is returning to normal. How is that news beyond the first week or two? These spin doctors will continue to spread the narrative that things are not just normal, but actually “Booming” and much better than they were before. Vote Prayut. He’s growing the Booming economy and improving the country. BS

On 2/2/2023 at 12:24 AM, Soidog said:

I did take issue. I’m sick of hearing that life is returning to normal. How is that news beyond the first week or two? These spin doctors will continue to spread the narrative that things are not just normal, but actually “Booming” and much better than they were before. Vote Prayut. He’s growing the Booming economy and improving the country. BS

Phuket is full of tourists. Looked fairly normal.

1 hour ago, Polkadot said:

Phuket is full of tourists. Looked fairly normal.

Good. Normal then. BREAKING NEWS. PHUKET IS NORMAL…Well who would have seen that coming. Stop the front page. 

5 hours ago, Soidog said:

Good. Normal then. BREAKING NEWS. PHUKET IS NORMAL…Well who would have seen that coming. Stop the front page. 

You claimed the tourist arent back. They are back

On 1/31/2023 at 6:03 PM, Polkadot said:

A lot of Thai beaches are very average. Nothing special about Samui beaches nor KPN. Phuket the same.

Phuket has a much better food scene. Cheaper flights.

Kood and Lipe have the best beaches.

The coast below Hua Hin to Chumphon is chilled. 

KPN is lovely if you know where to go. The coast north of Had Rin up to Thong Nai Pan is lovely, and the interior of the island is still relatively pristine. 

Considering how other places have been ravaged by tourism, it is doing well

5 hours ago, Polkadot said:

You claimed the tourist arent back. They are back

Where did I say the tourists aren’t back? Cut and paste my comment of where I said that? 

I said things are returning to normal.