News Forum - Thai activists warn that new hair guidelines will allow schools to be more strict

Thaiger

Two antagonist comments                                                         & a reply to it have been removed.

38 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

But you are looking at only the negative aspect of it, which I don't disagree with any of that.....

"Shutting off your brain" does have a positive side to it, as well

Just think of the absolute nonsense we put up with in our countries..............so much of that is due to "thinking too much"

And that effects our lives on almost a daily basis

Look at the conspiracy theory nonsense that is so prevalent in western countries, which is a direct outcome of thinking too much and is a huge detriment to society

You seem almost none of that nonsense in Asia

I agree, but I didn’t say anything to the contrary. I simply agreed with you that Asians in general would accept uniforms (including dictated hairstyle) and that there are many things they don’t think critically about. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 6:26 AM, Marc26 said:

Go a step further 

Many companies have uniforms

Our niece got her 1st job at a multinational Japanese company in Thailand and we had to buy her uniforms for work

Very similar to any school uninform you'd see

And you often see ladies working in offices in Bangkok wearing uniforms as well

But that's all over Asia, not just Thailand 

Not in China.  Wear whatever you want as long as it's appropriate.  Sneakers, plain color shirt, and khakis.  If you have to dress up like you're a paid professional, you should be "paid" like a professional.  Not 30k thb.  I know people making 80k tutoring because schools are terrible.  Salaries are low and thai teachers treat foreign teachers poorly.  I took over a class from a drunk that pulled a midnight run.  Instead of thanking me for stepping in, the Thai teachers lied about my evaluation.  My coworker that's a better teacher than I'll ever be was fired because his thai teacher told the boss he didn't teach anything.  She believed them over him and fired him on the spot right when we started grading final exams.  This guy had over 1000 exams to grade because the school loaded him with multiple subjects and had him teaching 6 different grades.  Supposedly this is the top school in my small town.  I didn't even put in a month and they were giving me shit.  I caught a terrible cold and couldn't take a sick day.  They threatened to fire me for being sick.  In America this would be an easy lawsuit.  I understand the laws in Asia work differently, so just told the boss if this is how they treat foreign native speakers teaching, then I want nothing more to do with her school.  My agent hasn't found a job since November for me and this whole experience is giving me a bad impression of Thailand.  I've heard it's better to skip the agents and I really don't know how to do that since the past 3 years I've been using agents when I was in China.

1 hour ago, Ev7 said:

Not in China.  Wear whatever you want as long as it's appropriate.  Sneakers, plain color shirt, and khakis.  If you have to dress up like you're a paid professional, you should be "paid" like a professional.  Not 30k thb.  I know people making 80k tutoring because schools are terrible.  Salaries are low and thai teachers treat foreign teachers poorly.  I took over a class from a drunk that pulled a midnight run.  Instead of thanking me for stepping in, the Thai teachers lied about my evaluation.  My coworker that's a better teacher than I'll ever be was fired because his thai teacher told the boss he didn't teach anything.  She believed them over him and fired him on the spot right when we started grading final exams.  This guy had over 1000 exams to grade because the school loaded him with multiple subjects and had him teaching 6 different grades.  Supposedly this is the top school in my small town.  I didn't even put in a month and they were giving me shit.  I caught a terrible cold and couldn't take a sick day.  They threatened to fire me for being sick.  In America this would be an easy lawsuit.  I understand the laws in Asia work differently, so just told the boss if this is how they treat foreign native speakers teaching, then I want nothing more to do with her school.  My agent hasn't found a job since November for me and this whole experience is giving me a bad impression of Thailand.  I've heard it's better to skip the agents and I really don't know how to do that since the past 3 years I've been using agents when I was in China.

Not my field at all  but I have heard this site is a good resource for teaching in Thailand

https://www.ajarn.com/recruitment/jobs

5 hours ago, Ev7 said:

I've heard it's better to skip the agents and I really don't know how to do that since the past 3 years I've been using agents when I was in China.

It depends what level of teaching you are looking for. If you want to teach in a university like a Chulalongkorn then you most likely need an agent (not essential). Other places, for example Nakhon Ratchasima University less so. If on the other hand you simply want to reach in your average school, my advice is pay them a visit. Ask around town and speak to other foreign teachers. I know several teachers who have been teaching in Thailand for many years and have all got jobs by simply calling in to schools and enquiring. Good luck with finding something.