News Forum - Foreign tourist under investigation for free climbing in southern Thailand

Thaiger

A foreign tourist is under investigation for free climbing up a limestone cliff on an island off the coast of Krabi province in southern Thailand within national park boundaries. The Chief of Hat Noppharat Thara-Mu Ko Phi Phi National Park, Teekhawut Sriburin, is investigating a foreign male tourist and a Thai boat operator after photos of …

The story Foreign tourist under investigation for free climbing in southern Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

That is free soloing . 

Free Climbing

Free climbing is the type most climbers do: climbing using your hands and feet to find handholds and footholds in order to move yourself upward on rock. It’s different from free soloing in that you have a rope tied to a harness around your waist, and a belay partner holding the other end of that rope. In case you fall, the rope (in control of the belayer) will catch you.

4 hours ago, Mamachigawa said:

That is free soloing . 

Free Climbing

Free climbing is the type most climbers do: climbing using your hands and feet to find handholds and footholds in order to move yourself upward on rock. It’s different from free soloing in that you have a rope tied to a harness around your waist, and a belay partner holding the other end of that rope. In case you fall, the rope (in control of the belayer) will catch you.

None of that is true.  Soloing is climbing without the protection of a rope, hence 'solo'.  Free climbing is often used to mean the same thing, hence 'free', or sometimes climbing without aid, e.g. without using fixed pitons, bolts and slings,  hence 'free'.

Google doesn't know everything as computer programming nerds rarely  climb, exceprt stairs  

Oh here we go again on damaging the reputation or image of the country. Just even mentioning that in itself as a penalty does more harm in negativity than anything else. I am sure if it is a well known spot for an animal habitat then it would not ever be touched. Like some places off of Phi Phi islands are a sure given. Seems these peopel put in a positon of power damage the image more as making it look like idiots are running the scene.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pinetree said:

None of that is true.  Soloing is climbing without the protection of a rope, hence 'solo'.  Free climbing is often used to mean the same thing, hence 'free', or sometimes climbing without aid, e.g. without using fixed pitons, bolts and slings,  hence 'free'.

Google doesn't know everything as computer programming nerds rarely  climb, exceprt stairs  

That is what I meant. Really  I'm confused by the  terminology also maybe call REI Corp one of the biggest outdoor retailers and get them to change website. I think in US or Japan free  means trad climbing with ropes, gear and belays. Soloing is clear but I have also heard the term free soloing used for the same maybe UK ? 

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/types-of-rock-climbing.html

So it accurate to for the article to describe the interloper as having free climbed this choss without prior permission from the NP authorities. I think they should have said he soloed or free soloed.

The only climb I did in Thailand was with guide on Railey 20 or so years ago carefully developed/cleaned and bolted over the years by the locals I would consider sport climbing.

Edited by Mamachigawa

12 hours ago, Mamachigawa said:

That is what I meant. Really  I'm confused by the  terminology also maybe call REI Corp one of the biggest outdoor retailers and get them to change website. I think in US or Japan free  means trad climbing with ropes, gear and belays. Soloing is clear but I have also heard the term free soloing used for the same maybe UK ? 

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/types-of-rock-climbing.html

So it accurate to for the article to describe the interloper as having free climbed this choss without prior permission from the NP authorities. I think they should have said he soloed or free soloed.

The only climb I did in Thailand was with guide on Railey 20 or so years ago carefully developed/cleaned and bolted over the years by the locals I would consider sport climbing.

I was a serious, if not a particular talented,  climber and mountaineer for many years in my younger life.  I only 'soloed' on boulders, to avoid injury,  but I free climbed, without aid , many routes in the UK and the Alps. I started my  climbing at the end of the period when aided climbing became unacceptable on new and previously climbed routes and even one bolt placed at a crux could invalidate a new route in the minds of the climbing World,  until some brave person free climbed it and removed that bolt. Your last sentence is right.  Sport climbing is a whole new World to me and if it requires bolts to achieve it, then in my mind that is vandalism, but I'm old now and each generation makes its own rules.  To me, leaving the rock as you found it, unprepared, no top roping and no pitons or bolts, only removable protection,  is the purest form.