News Forum - Five US police officers charged with murder over fatal beating of black man

Thaiger

1 hour ago, cowslip said:

Well we have to decide if these officers would have been as aggressive if the victim was white - I suspect not.

Yes, we all know that black police officers would definitely be more aggressive attacking one of their same race than if he was white.  

WHO TIES YOUR SHOES FOR YOU. 

5 hours ago, longwood50 said:

Yes, we all know that black police officers would definitely be more aggressive attacking one of their same race than if he was white.  

WHO TIES YOUR SHOES FOR YOU. 

How do you know this?

5 hours ago, cowslip said:

How do you know this?

Common Sense  Try it sometime. 

This notion that somehow these Black Police Officers would have treated a white person with a greater degree of civility borders on the most insane comment I have ever seen. 

I am going to have to stop saying, just how stupid can people be.  Obviously there are many out there who are taking that as a challenge. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

Common Sense  Try it sometime. 

This notion that somehow these Black Police Officers would have treated a white person with a greater degree of civility borders on the most insane comment I have ever seen. 

I am going to have to stop saying, just how stupid can people be.  Obviously there are many out there who are taking that as a challenge. 

How much time have you spent in predominantly black neighborhoods?

I can assure you that in a lot of cases they would

There is a friction between the black community and the police in a lot of predominantly black communities and the black officers aren't acting any different than the white ones

And I am not entirely blaming the police in those matters, but it is just a fact.....

• Like 1

People are just minding their own business & then all of a sudden, someone shoots them behind their back & died. That's what's been happening in America right now, without even defending themselves.

20 hours ago, Marc26 said:

How much time have you spent in predominantly black neighborhoods?

I can assure you that in a lot of cases they would

There is a friction between the black community and the police in a lot of predominantly black communities and the black officers aren't acting any different than the white ones

And I am not entirely blaming the police in those matters, but it is just a fact.....

I worked for a major bank that was headquartered in Detroit.  

One way or another, the headline was "intended" to create the impression that this was racially motivated by saying the victim was black.  They of course failed to mention as they did with the Rodney King, or George Floyd incidents that in this case all five police officers were black.  So obviously it was not racially motivated. 

The inference that somehow the police would have not beat the victim if he was white is just absurd specualtion based on nothing.  I think there must be more to this story that what has been revealed so far. Those police officers knew full well there were wearing body cams and being videotaped. There had to be some sort of interaction between the police and the victim that caused these officers to react in such a violent way.  One way or another, it sure was not the fact that the victim was Black. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, cowslip said:

Oh dear - have you EVER thought what that really is?

Yes I have, but it is obviously a concept foreign to you. 

All the police officers were Black.  The victim was Black.  To infer that somehow this was racially motivated and infer that the police would have acted more humanely if the person being arrested was white, borders on the exteme of being ridiculous. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, longwood50 said:

I worked for a major bank that was headquartered in Detroit.  

One way or another, the headline was "intended" to create the impression that this was racially motivated by saying the victim was black.  They of course failed to mention as they did with the Rodney King, or George Floyd incidents that in this case all five police officers were black.  So obviously it was not racially motivated. 

The inference that somehow the police would have not beat the victim if he was white is just absurd specualtion based on nothing.  I think there must be more to this story that what has been revealed so far. Those police officers knew full well there were wearing body cams and being videotaped. There had to be some sort of interaction between the police and the victim that caused these officers to react in such a violent way.  One way or another, it sure was not the fact that the victim was Black. 

Yeah you get a real good perspective if the black community from a major bank 5555

PS.....You obvious haven't bothered to read the initial police report that is filled with lies

Rather that something as overt as indoctrination, an explanation may lie in the phenomena of internalised racism; whereby the perpetrators, in this case the cops, see only the negative aspects of their own community. There is a body of academic literature on the subject.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Khunmark said:

Rather that something as overt as indoctrination, an explanation may lie in the phenomena of internalised racism; whereby the perpetrators, in this case the cops, see only the negative aspects of their own community. There is a body of academic literature on the subject.

Yes but I don't know if you can call that racism.....

I mentioned to @longwood50 about spending time in the black community and how much tension there is between the community and police

So even if the police would possibly treat a white person better because of that constant tension w/ the black community, isn't that just due to the result of the tension and not race

I worked in all the projects and ghettos in Brooklyn when I got out of University before starting my career

I have to be completely honest, it was a great paying job but I quit because I couldn't deal with working in those neighborhoods......

It really wore me down dealing with a lot of people there and I was only delivering refrigirators!

I said it at the time, I would never be a cop in those neighborhoods

So I think it's more the daily grind/tension than actual racism

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Yes but I don't know if you can call that racism.....

I mentioned to @longwood50 about spending time in the black community and how much tension there is between the community and police

So even if the police would possibly treat a white person better because of that constant tension w/ the black community, isn't that just due to the result of the tension and not race

I worked in all the projects and ghettos in Brooklyn when I got out of University before starting my career

I have to be completely honest, it was a great paying job but I quit because I couldn't deal with working in those neighborhoods......

It really wore me down dealing with a lot of people there and I was only delivering refrigirators!

I said it at the time, I would never be a cop in those neighborhoods

I have no doubt the points you have made would be a contributing factor. The accumulating erosion of trust through not having the needs of your community served and the antagonising methods adopted by police ensures things end badly. There’s a myriad of factors at play here. I also agree with you concerning the militarisation of the police force. The image itself is designed to intimidate.

25 minutes ago, Khunmark said:

I have no doubt the points you have made would be a contributing factor. The accumulating erosion of trust through not having the needs of your community served and the antagonising methods adopted by police ensures things end badly. There’s a myriad of factors at play here. I also agree with you concerning the militarisation of the police force. The image itself is designed to intimidate.

Yes the tension I speak about is sort of a "chicken or egg" scenario

I think there is blame on both sides 

2 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

Famously paraphrased by Cheeto Jesus after a white supremacist riot.

I definitely was not trying to emulate him

That's for sure!

No-one should be getting a beating like that especially from law enforcement. 

What I do not understand is why nobody seems to address the elephant in the room.

If you get stopped by the police JUST COMPLY. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Marc26 said:

As I said, the article noted the fact that the victim was black and was killed by cops whose race was not mentioned.  The only reason to do so is to create the impression that the beating was racially motivated.  IT WAS NOT.  Your conjecture that somehow if the victim was white that he would not have been beaten as badly goes beyond absurd.  

14 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Yeah you get a real good perspective if the black community from a major bank 5555

PS.....You obvious haven't bothered to read the initial police report that is filled with lies

I was very familiar with the racial strife in Detroit.  As to the police report being filled with lies, why should that be of a surprise.  Did you think the police officers who had just severely beat a man going to volunteer the extent of their actions.   Given your previous comments, this will probably come as a shock to you.  SOMETIMES GUILTY PEOPLE LIE ABOUT WHAT THEY DID. 

3 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

What I do not understand is why nobody seems to address the elephant in the room.

And what you say is correct in a perfect world. However, the police are often dealing with with people under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Or people with mental health issues. Presumably, they have adequate training for these circumstances.

10 hours ago, longwood50 said:

10 hours ago, longwood50 said:

As I said, the article noted the fact that the victim was black and was killed by cops whose race was not mentioned.  The only reason to do so is to create the impression that the beating was racially motivated.  IT WAS NOT.  Your conjecture that somehow if the victim was white that he would not have been beaten as badly goes beyond absurd.  

I gave you my experience working in the black community and why black officers would still treat a black person worse than a white person

Now, I know that experience is in no way as advanced as "working in a major bank in Detroit" 55555...............so it may be lacking

13 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Did you watch the video at all?????

He was never given the chance to comply, not for one minute of any of that episode

When thugs run up to you with guns and yank you out of a car, none of that are proper police actions................compliance is no longer simple

10 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Did you watch the video at all?????

He was never given the chance to comply, not for one minute of any of that episode

When thugs run up to you with guns and yank you out of a car, none of that are proper police actions................compliance is no longer simple

I watched the video which has been released. I saw police officers pulling the guy out the car, I saw police officers trying to arrest someone who was resisting, I then saw police officers going way overboard and beating a guy.

If you saw a video of them running up and without even talking to the guy but simply dragging him from the car can you provide a link to it please?

9 hours ago, Khunmark said:

And what you say is correct in a perfect world. However, the police are often dealing with with people under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Or people with mental health issues. Presumably, they have adequate training for these circumstances.

Yes there will obviously always be people who will resist arrest and the police are the ones who have to deal with that.

What I am saying is that those who can should just comply rather than becoming an issue no-one wants.

If the Reverend Al Sharpton wants to give out a message to save peoples lives then why is he not conveying that?

There are countless videos of people just being arseholes with the police and given they are only human then sometimes frustration boils over. Not excusing the actions of the police officers here because what they did was way over the top.

On 1/31/2023 at 9:14 PM, Marc26 said:

So if this was done by 5 white cops, would it still be considered the daily grind/tension? Seems to be can’t have it both ways.

• Like 1