News Forum - Five US police officers charged with murder over fatal beating of black man

Thaiger

Five US police officers working in the state of Tennessee are charged with second-degree murder over fatally beating a black man. The officers were found to have beaten 29 year old Tyre Nichols, during a traffic stop on January 7, in which they pulled him over for reckless driving. According to The Straits Times, Nichols’ …

The story Five US police officers charged with murder over fatal beating of black man as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Five US police officers working in the state of Tennessee are charged with second-degree murder over fatally beating a black man. The officers were found to have beaten 29 year old Tyre Nichols, during a traffic stop on January 7, in which they pulled him over for reckless driving.

"Officials say a video of the beating exists and will be released sometime after 6pm Central time on Friday." (from the article)

That video must contain something truly horrific for five police officers to be charged with second degree murder after just three weeks or so; that is an incredibly short period of time.

This is an incredibly sad story on so many levels. A young man's life snuffed out way too early. Police officers, apparently, violating their oaths to protect the rest of us. The families of all involved will be scarred forever. And finally, it'll be yet another nail in the coffin of citizen trust in police officers.

In my younger days, I didn't like the cops as I was doing stuff they they might have... er... ahem... 'frowned upon' (nothing really bad, but weed WAS illegal), but as I have aged and grown wiser, I see the need to have police and very much want them to do their jobs effectively, fairly and properly.

I think we all lose a bit with stories like this.

• Like 2

Need to wait until the video footage is released. So far all I have seen is the bodycam footage that shows him behaving erratically enough that a mental health assessment and drug tests would have been in order.

If as bad as it sounds, this could trigger another round of protests similar to those following the death of George Floyd ? I sincerely hope not. 

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

If as bad as it sounds, this could trigger another round of protests similar to those following the death of George Floyd ? I sincerely hope not. 

It sounds like it is horrifying, with Homeland Security coordinating with police around the country

11 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

"Officials say a video of the beating exists and will be released sometime after 6pm Central time on Friday." (from the article)

That video must contain something truly horrific for five police officers to be charged with second degree murder after just three weeks or so; that is an incredibly short period of time.

This is an incredibly sad story on so many levels. A young man's life snuffed out way too early. Police officers, apparently, violating their oaths to protect the rest of us. The families of all involved will be scarred forever. And finally, it'll be yet another nail in the coffin of citizen trust in police officers.

In my younger days, I didn't like the cops as I was doing stuff they they might have... er... ahem... 'frowned upon' (nothing really bad, but weed WAS illegal), but as I have aged and grown wiser, I see the need to have police and very much want them to do their jobs effectively, fairly and properly.

I think we all lose a bit with stories like this.

Policing in the US is a failure........

And I come from a family of cops!

It needs a complete overhaul and I not talking about defunding the police

But it is a systematic failure..........it doesn't matter how many good cops there are, there are way too many bad ones......

And often times the "good" ones( I don't consider them good if they allow it to happen) stand by and do nothing and say nothing against the bad ones

• Haha 1

I may be wrong, but isn’t this 5 Black cops involved? So no fear over race riots like George Floyd? Cops are cocks everywhere in the world. No one really trains them for the authority they are suddenly handed 

However, despite this was Black cops on a black person, the black community have still managed to make it a White issue. How this happens is why racism persists. It’s black people perpetuating it. Read below. Beyond words! 0FCF8416-F715-47CE-94CA-75666F1385A0.thumb.jpeg.e61d4785b79d55a9c4ca6218fc1413af.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I may be wrong, but isn’t this 5 Black cops involved? So no fear over race riots like George Floyd? Cops are cocks everywhere in the world. No one really trains them for the authority they are suddenly handed 

However, despite this was Black cops on a black person, the black community have still managed to make it a White issue. How this happens is why racism persists. It’s black people perpetuating it. Read below. Beyond words! 

I agree with you Soidog re his comments blaming whites. Seeing the Rev Al Sharpton make statements like this does not help at all. It sounds like a bit of butt covering as he has been quite vocal about white cops and his demands for more african-american cops on the force.

I do feel we need to be careful with generic labels, even acknowledging your experiences with police officers may be different. I personally know quite a few older cops in my own country and they bring the new and younger ones into line quickly when they start displaying the traits that abuse of authority brings, which is good to see.

• Like 1

The videos are sickening

Every single person at that scene should be in jail

Even the cops that showed up and did nothing and laughed and joked while the man lay there dying

Policing in the US is beyond broke 

But when you militarize the police and dress them like they are going to war than they are going to treat citizens like enemies 

There are too many scum Police that you train for 6 months, then gear them up like the military 

This is the outcome 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

I agree with you Soidog re his comments blaming whites. Seeing the Rev Al Sharpton make statements like this does not help at all. It sounds like a bit of butt covering as he has been quite vocal about white cops and his demands for more african-american cops on the force.

I do feel we need to be careful with generic labels, even acknowledging your experiences with police officers may be different. I personally know quite a few older cops in my own country and they bring the new and younger ones into line quickly when they start displaying the traits that abuse of authority brings, which is good to see.

So many bad older cops as well

And as I said above

Even the "good" ones do nothing against the many bad ones

And most Police Unions are the scum of the earth 

By the way

The city of Memphis released the videos on Vimeo where you have to sign up for a free trial to view them

Talk about scum

Of course they now being spread on Twitter but can you imagine the deceit to do that?

5 hours ago, Smithydog said:

I do feel we need to be careful with generic labels, even acknowledging your experiences with police officers may be different.

I agree and should qualify my initial comments.

I think there are many good police in my country also. My comments relate to the fact that for some, the authority and power they are effectively handed overnight, goes to their head. I don’t know what training they are given in how to deal with that authority and power. I’m sure part of police training deals with how to work with members of the public. However, when you think about a young 20 year old from a normal background, who is then suddenly handed the authority and power a police officer is given, for some it can be too much to handle. 

• Like 1

This one definetely crossed the total line of reason and this time is a shame for what happened.

But now the black community is saying that the swift action used against these ex-black cops needs to be applied to the white cops as this is racism in itself. Al Sharpton is an idiot who is only in it for false glamor, his ego and notoriety. He thrives by sucking money off his racial epithet naratives and draining a huge percent from his charity that no one realizes he does. This guy is nothing more than a huge fake bozo.

Police need to be reformed to approcah situations diferently and have a best final outcome to all situations. If the guy is a bad egg and does something to endanger them then ok shoot him, but this black guy did nothing of the sort.

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

This one definetely crossed the total line of reason and this time is a shame for what happened.

But now the black community is saying that the swift action used against these ex-black cops needs to be applied to the white cops as this is racism in itself. Al Sharpton is an idiot who is only in it for false glamor, his ego and notoriety. He thrives by sucking money off his racial epithet naratives and draining a huge percent from his charity that no one realizes he does. This guy is nothing more than a huge fake bozo.

Police need to be reformed to approcah situations diferently and have a best final outcome to all situations. If the guy is a bad egg and does something to endanger them then ok shoot him, but this black guy did nothing of the sort.

The problem is systematic 

This Unit was called "Scorpion" which implies they are out "hunting " for something 

And that is the crux of the major issue in US policing 

You can't arm and dress guys like they are going to war and not have them think they are at war with the public 

A vast majority of US police are hostile to the public 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My one and only experience with US police was way back in 1987. It was a most unpleasant experience and one that I wouldn’t have endured under similar circumstances in my own country.

I’ve just watched the video. Beyond words really. 

Im not clear why he was stopped? I assume he broke free in an attempt to run home, but again, why would you do that? I’m not making any excuse for these violent thugs in uniform, but I often see police videos and see people resisting arrest. Police having to force their arms behind their back and this seems to be the trigger for it becoming increasingly violet. The police use force and hurt the person. They in turn try to move to ease the pain. This then results in more force and the whole thing escalates. If I was stopped by police I would get out the car with my hands in the air and do exactly what I’m told. Perhaps a young black kid in Memphis has more to worry from the police than I can imagine. 

Im sure this will be another opportunity for the President to utter words of disgust and set up an expensive enquiry. A year or two from now it will happen again. Gun crime and police brutality seem to be things they can’t fix in the US. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Soidog said:

However, despite this was Black cops on a black person, the black community have still managed to make it a White issue. How this happens is why racism persists. It’s black people perpetuating it. Read below. Beyond words! 

Yes, I noticed how the usual rent-a-mouths were trying to spin it as a race issue, rather than a police brutality issue. Having watched and read various reports, it looks like it all went south when one of the officers decided to take revenge after accidentally getting pepper sprayed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Marc26 said:

The problem is systematic 

This Unit was called "Scorpion" which implies they are out "hunting " for something 

And that is the crux of the major issue in US policing 

You can't arm and dress guys like they are going to war and not have them think they are at war with the public 

A vast majority of US police are hostile to the public 

Just read these type of guys drive unmarked cars, wear hoodies and play rap music acting the part of street people. Then the prey on someone who let their guard down pouncing in them. They said the problem is younger inexperienced cops are getting promoted to these positions and need more training. 
my take is probably Ex military and hot heads living essentially in the streets as the hands and dregs. They lose the reality of what they should be stuck in and on and become loose canons. 
With crime in the USA how it is it is a good thing to have in certain cities, but seems it still got off the rails once again as a police action that went bad. 

4 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Just read these type of guys drive unmarked cars, wear hoodies and play rap music acting the part of street people. Then the prey on someone who let their guard down pouncing in them. They said the problem is younger inexperienced cops are getting promoted to these positions and need more training. 
my take is probably Ex military and hot heads living essentially in the streets as the hands and dregs. They lose the reality of what they should be stuck in and on and become loose canons. 
With crime in the USA how it is it is a good thing to have in certain cities, but seems it still got off the rails once again as a police action that went bad. 

It's not " younger inexperienced guys"

It's the whole system......

They recruit a lot of bad people and look the other way when those people do and things 

They are and dress them like they are going to war

They treat the public like the enemy 

Most simple traffic stops the police treat you hostile

The whole system is failed 

It shows how corrupted the whole system is - rotten to the core - basically if you want to be a police officer and you're black, you need to play by the polices' white man's rules

• Haha 1

It really is quite simple 

Get rid of "qualified immunity"

That will allow the police themselves to be sued and it comes out of the whole department's pension fund

Now these supposedly "good" cops won't stand back and allow these bad cops to get away with things or cover for them because money will come out of their pockets

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

They treat the public like the enemy 

Yeah, and I read that their upper look of appearance when in the unmarked vehicle looks like Public Enemy 😄 until they get out and bum rush you with the Scorpion attire openly able to be seen. I have in my lifetime experienced good cop attitudes and some severely bad ones. I was into a lot of out going things when younger. Nothing bad but out and about.

On 1/27/2023 at 8:57 AM, Thaiger said:

fatally beating a black man.

The headline should read that 5 officers charged with beating a "man" to death.  The fact he was black is irrelevant and intended to create the impression that somehow the beating was racially motivated.  This is a picture of the 5 officers. 

image.png.2ee77432792d2e880fde2874d34b5d1b.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

The headline should read that 5 officers charged with beating a "man" to death.  The fact he was black is irrelevant and intended to create the impression that somehow the beating was racially motivated.  This is a picture of the 5 officers. 

image.png.2ee77432792d2e880fde2874d34b5d1b.png

Well we have to decide if these officers would have been as aggressive if the victim was white - I suspect not.

THe problem now appears to be one of indoctrination of black officers who join this police force.

• Haha 1