News Forum - Sex Workers Bill will protect Thailand’s most-exploited

Thaiger

Many thousands of Thais – mostly women – work their whole lives in the sex industry without legal protection. With nothing to shield them, they are exploited both directly and indirectly. The Sex Workers Bill sets out to remedy some of that. Operators use harsh methods to control their workers and ensure the money keeps rolling …

The story Sex Workers Bill will protect Thailand’s most-exploited as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Wait and see the entire proposition when it is fully released. If it is like they are suggesing for Thais having to produce their ID to buy weed and the ID details being put into an official computer bank, then this leaves a potential Pandoras box to open and it may not be a good thing. Even if the girls who work have their details put inot an official computer bank is not a good thing.

• Like 1

Well..this is a good move to legalize the illegal industry. At least these service provides will be issued a permit or license where the health Authorities can have check and balance on the spread of sexually transmitted diseases also. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If this bill passes then it will be a good first step. However, passing the law to protect them means nothing unless there is an effect law enforcement and independent judiciary to enforce it.

Can you imagine how this will play out in the real world? Many girls who work in Thai karaoke bars in the North East are illegal migrant workers from Laos. Will this law protect them when they are illegal? Even if they are Thai, what happens when the girl lodges a complaint with the police about the treatment their boss has inflicted. Chances are the boss will know the local police and brown envelopes will be changing hands. Even if none of that happens, the girl will most likely be threatened with violence or exposure of what her real job is to her family.

Im afraid like many laws in Thailand, they are worthless pieces of paper aimed at improving the image of Thailand on the international stage to keep those pesky NGO’s/Human Rights/UN people quiet. Unless you clean up the Police and corruption, then it’s all just a facade of normality.  TIT. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

If this bill passes then it will be a good first step. However, passing the law to protect them means nothing unless there is an effect law enforcement and independent judiciary to enforce it.

Can you imagine how this will play out in the real world? Many girls who work in Thai karaoke bars in the North East are illegal migrant workers from Laos. Will this law protect them when they are illegal? Even if they are Thai, what happens when the girl lodges a complaint with the police about the treatment their boss has inflicted. Chances are the boss will know the local police and brown envelopes will be changing hands. Even if none of that happens, the girl will most likely be threatened with violence or exposure of what her real job is to her family.

Im afraid like many laws in Thailand, they are worthless pieces of paper aimed at improving the image of Thailand on the international stage to keep those pesky NGO’s/Human Rights/UN people quiet. Unless you clean up the Police and corruption, then it’s all just a facade of normality.  TIT. 

Yeah that's funny. Sex work is exclusively for Thais. 🤣 Cannot get a work permit for it but you can be trafficked and abused.

Now that is a claim to fame for the administration to have under their zipper belt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yeah that's funny. Sex work is exclusively for Thais. 🤣 Cannot get a work permit for it but you can be trafficked and abused.

Now that is a claim to fame for the administration to have under their zipper belt.

Even funnier is that they are seemingly passing a law which protects no one. Several times the head of the RTP claim there is NO prostitution in Thailand. So why are they bothering to make a law. May as well make a law that stops you keeping unicorns as pets 😉 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Even funnier is that they are seemingly passing a law which protects no one. Several times the head of the RTP claim there is NO prostitution in Thailand. So why are they bothering to make a law. May as well make a law that stops you keeping unicorns as pets 😉 

Do you mean to tell me there are no Unicorns too?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Do you mean to tell me there are no Unicorns too?

Well obviously there are but the RTP claim not. I’ve certainly seen what look like Unicorns walking down Pattaya Soi 6. If not Unicorns then I’m not sure what they were, but they had “horns”! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Well obviously there are but the RTP claim not. I’ve certainly seen what look like Unicorns walking down Pattaya Soi 6. If not Unicorns then I’m not sure what they were, but they had “horns”! 

As I have seen the same, but at Pattaya beach side late night you must make sure the horn is above the waste. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

Better hide your gold necklace..

57 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

Better hide your gold necklace..

And my “Crown Jewels” (An English slang for what Americans call their junk!)

• Haha 1

Sounds like a good thing, though I suspect as with most things it will get twisted and abused quickly. Just because venues will be required to get licensed doesn't mean getting that license is going to be cheap or easy. Likely brown envelopes will have to be involved, again.

Where there is money, there are envelopes, that's just how things work here. Doubt this will change - all that will change is who and how they are passed.

Also- I suspect the real bad abuse happens between private parties i.e. pimps, and not in venues where things are more visible. Remains to be seen if and how this bill may help those.

• Like 1