extension added to original Visa end date?

Maybe silly question but to clarify...

Last year I received the Visa stamp on arrival to BKK.   Arrived 9/17/22 and it appeared good until 10/18/22 (seems 30 days).   On 10/7/22 I flew out of Thailand and upon return (10/11/22) they stamped my passport and it appeared good until 11/24/22. I was trying to figure out the math.  Was the extension just the 45 -days (new rule)?

I came back 1/10/23 and my Visa stamp expires 2/23/23. I need to extend it as I fly home March 3.  My friend may help me get  the extension locally.... but is the extension (30 days) added to Feb 23 or does it start a new 30 days from the date I receive the extension?   if the latter I guess I should wait until after ~Feb 4 to get the extension.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Dezmo said:

I came back 1/10/23 and my Visa stamp expires 2/23/23.

It isn't a visa stamp.
You entered without a visa, and they stamped a permit granting you a stay of 45 days on entry.

5 hours ago, Dezmo said:

I need to extend it as I fly home March 3.  My friend may help me get  the extension locally.... but is the extension (30 days) added to Feb 23 or does it start a new 30 days from the date I receive the extension?

A 30-day extension should start from the end date of your current permission of stay.
i.e. Feb 23rd until Mar 24th.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Faz said:

It isn't a visa stamp.
You entered without a visa, and they stamped a permit granting you a stay of 45 days on entry.

A 30-day extension should start from the end date of your current permission of stay.
i.e. Feb 23rd until Mar 24th.

Thanks. A little confused though. A local Visa service (Pattaya) noted that I cannot renew my Visa until 14 days before Feb 23 so basically I need to renew it after Feb 9 in order to get the 30 days added to Feb 23.  

You're extending your existing permission of stay, a permit, not a visa.

It's usually recommended to apply for a 30-day extension two weeks before your current stay expires.
Nothing unusual in that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Faz said:

It's usually recommended to apply for a 30-day extension two weeks before your current stay expires.
Nothing unusual in that.

Thanks... just didn't know if that was a firm rule. I had not seen anything anywhere. I'll be traveling a bit but try to fit it in after Feb 4 to ensure I get the 30 days to take me past my March 3 flight home.

10 hours ago, Faz said:

Nothing unusual in that.

yes thanks for clarifying this,

some agents are not always clear and confusing, and tells us it's your date of entry for your extension, what they mean is the maximum exit date from your last entry

lost in translation :)

Edited by butterfly

16 hours ago, Dezmo said:

Thanks... just didn't know if that was a firm rule. I had not seen anything anywhere. I'll be traveling a bit but try to fit it in after Feb 4 to ensure I get the 30 days to take me past my March 3 flight home.

There is no rule on how soon you can apply for a 30-day extension, it's simply a preference of the IO you apply at. Go too soon to a busier IO, and they may tell you to come back nearer the time, then you've wasted a journey. Applying within the last 2 weeks should ensure it's processed on the spot.
A friend recently entered on a TV, then the following day filed a TM30 and requested a 30-day extension, which they obliged in processing, but this was at a rural IO.

If travelling, you can submit the application at any IO, provided you've filed a TM30 at that office.

40 minutes ago, Faz said:

There is no rule on how soon you can apply for a 30-day extension, it's simply a preference of the IO you apply at. Go too soon to a busier IO, and they may tell you to come back nearer the time, then you've wasted a journey. Applying within the last 2 weeks should ensure it's processed on the spot.
A friend recently entered on a TV, then the following day filed a TM30 and requested a 30-day extension, which they obliged in processing, but this was at a rural IO.

If travelling, you can submit the application at any IO, provided you've filed a TM30 at that office.

Ok thanks. But still want to be clear.   

If I try to apply for the 30-day extension before the 2-week window, will the 30 days be applied to the end of my current current stay [end] date of Feb 23?     I was confused that if i went earlier, it would not be applied to that date but the date I apply.     I need to ensure I get an extension past March 3 but am traveling a bit soon so want to get it done asap.

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, Dezmo said:

If I try to apply for the 30-day extension before the 2-week window, will the 30 days be applied to the end of my current current stay [end] date of Feb 23? 

Yes.
You already have permission of stay until Feb 23rd.
A 30-day extension, extends the date for 30 days beyond the permission you already have.

• Like 2

Thanks again. 

I rented a condo directly from the owner (not Airbnb this time) and he said he cannot file a TM30.  I think I need this before going for my extension. 

A friend was going to help me with the IO office to avoid the hefty fee of a local service.  (The local service said they could fix the TM30 issue also).

I wonder if there is a service I can use to have them file a TM30.  I heard some hotels might do this for small fee.

Thoughts?

10 minutes ago, Dezmo said:

I wonder if there is a service I can use to have them file a TM30.  I heard some hotels might do this for small fee.

Thoughts?

Stay one night in a hotel, who are required to file a TM30 by law.
Request a copy of the TM30 from the hotel, then apply the following day.

Far cheaper than any 'service' fee an agent would charge.