News Forum - Alone for Chinese New Year? Consider a fake girlfriend

Thaiger

Pattaya bar enthusiasts might regularly hire a “fake girlfriend” for the night but, in Singapore, the concept has a more wholesome goal. As the Chinese New Year approaches, singles in Singapore are opting for an unusual solution to avoid uncomfortable questions from relatives about their love lives: hiring fake girlfriends or boyfriends to accompany them …

The story Alone for Chinese New Year? Consider a fake girlfriend as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Interesting article, and an interesting insight into our times.

It seems like we are in a transition time whereby the 'old' family still exists among the older folk, but the new and up-coming generation has already given up the standard 'rat-race' and is reduced to paying lip-service to the old ways (rent a girlfriend/boyfriend!). I assume that all/most members like to read Asian-themed news regularly, and I am sure that many have seen the articles out of China about the kids not following the traditional pathway in life. I have old friends in both Japan and South Korea who tell me the same. Finally, I see/hear with my own eyes and ears what is occurring in the Kingdom, at least in the corner where I belong, and it is a lessening of a desire to follow the 'old ways'.

I think it is a larger transition than most realize, and that we are witnessing a foundational cultural shift in Asia away from the family. Is the Thai family still the bedrock of Thai society? Yup. That said, does it seem to be weakening? My sense is yes. 

What precisely is the shift? It is away from the family as the bedrock (no, don't flame me; the Thai family is still the bedrock and will be for a while) to the State. Why do I say that? I have been in and out of the Kingdom for a very long time, and I get the sense that people look more and more to the State to deal with issues rather than taking care of business in the family. Money for the elderly? Still family, but State pensions will only grow over time. Money for Education? Still costly to families, but Thailand spends a fair amount on it, and it seems there is a push to have more kids in school, longer (yes, a cynic might think that the PTB wants the... indoctrination to last longer, and they may be correct, but that is another thread). Need a loan? a bank/the State is a place to go as much or perhaps even more normal that the family now. Authority figures/Role Models? It used to be Father/Uncle, but now Uncle Too is being promoted. I could go on, but I think my point is made; in regard to many issues, the family used to deal with them, but often now it is the State. It is a process that will only continue to grow.

Ironically, I see a transition among Thai youngsters from the family (yes, the family is still supreme, I know that) to the State just at a time when the Institutions of State seem to be weakening with less than a stellar future/outlook. Moreover, I suspect that most older folk don't really get it; in their formative years, things were much more stable than now and they don't understand the uncertainty facing the young. Finally, even with the difficulty of a population saddled with the useless Thai language, information is seeping into the youngsters on-line at an amazing rate, and that is a process that will only grow, not ebb; the ramifications of this are immense, but I don't quite know what they are, yet.

I am fascinated as to where this will lead.

• Like 1

I want a fake boyfriend, with no sex, but not for show. Pay him and describe what I want, and the date will go as planned, no stressful feelings and relationship bullshit, just the memories of spending time with someone. Any ideas? 

May I ask, can anyone share a bit more info on this? How to find one?😄

On 1/24/2023 at 7:03 AM, HiuMak said:

Thailand is more advance. It is "rent a wife"

On 1/24/2023 at 7:03 AM, HiuMak said:

Thailand is more advance. It is "rent a wife"

all wives Worldwide  are 'rent a wife'. It's just for how much and for how long that needs to be considered. I'm not bitter at all folks.   🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/21/2023 at 1:10 PM, Shade_Wilder said:

information is seeping into the youngsters on-line at an amazing rate,

Thai Govt working overtime on that area, they are getting better at it also, brutal - if unusual traffic detected, they just deny service.

They had it in the bag until VPNs came along, still need an affordable VPN system for the poorer Thais.