News Forum - Covid meds running out in Bangkok

Thaiger

Pain and fever relief medications in Bangkok are running out at some pharmacies, particularly in areas where there is a high concentration of tourists from China, according to a survey by Thai PBS reporters. Nawat Chevapruek, a pharmacist at a drug store in the Huai Khwang district, said that the tourists are buying so much …

The story Covid meds running out in Bangkok as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

But any suggestions that China has a massive number of covid  infections is just anti-Chinese Western media bias.  So we keep getting told by the Xi-bots. 🤣

Edited by Grumpish
Auto-correct
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Grumpish said:

But any suggestions that China has a massive number of covid  infections is just anti-Chinese Western media bias.  So we keep getting told by the Xi-bots. 🤣

Where?

There's much to dislike (lousy preparation, hardly measuring, hardly testing, hardly communicating and acting indignified and retaliating when other nations complain/try to mitigate those risks), but I've yet to read a downright denial that they're in a massive wave and that it's just a figment of Western imagination.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grumpish said:

Except this story is probably pure fiction. 

This is exactly the kind of nonsense generated by the US funded local media to feed the narratives against the target countries. And ppl just lap it up. Because they don't even know that there's US funded local media. Who get billions in grants to peddle this nonsense.

Oh man! Chinese taking all the meds!  Next will be the Russians are buying up all the bandaids. Pathetic.

Edited by socal
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, socal said:

This is exactly the kind of nonsense generated by the US funded local media to feed the narratives against the target countries. And ppl just lap it up. Because they don't even know that there's US funded local media. Who get billions in grants to peddle this nonsense.

Oh man! Chinese taking all the meds!  Next will be the Russians are buying up all the bandaids. Pathetic.

Any evidence for that?

• Like 1

Article quote: He thinks that Covid-19 meds running out in Bangkok means some – or many – are buying medication for relatives in China or to resell back home. Thailand is not the first place where hoards of Chinese tourists have been bulk-buying fever meds. In Japan, Taiwan, and Singapore, a massive rush to buy over-the-counter drugs to send back to families in China is causing a risk of shortages.

Barely only back here a week and already causing problems. Chinese always take take take and take. Wonder if the ques are at least hospitable or they are back to what they do best and cutting. What am i thinking, ques and hospitable joined together when concerning the Chinese is an oxymoron.

Article quote: Bangkok is running out of Covid meds, but face masks and rapid antigen test kits are still readily available and prices have dropped substantially, he said, adding that anti-Covid drugs, such as Molnupiravir, are available at some pharmacies at about 1,500 baht (US$50) per bottle and most of the customers are Chinese.

Is it perhaps 2 reasons? One, they are stocking up to take back to their covid infested CCP bat trap. Two, they actually are now showing becoming positive and are using much of it themselves as well? 

And this is only the first week of the tip of the OMG the Chinese are back iceberg. Let's wait and see the next escalated numbers of covid positive people in Thailand now they are here. Can't rightly think anything of a good thing will come from it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

Is it perhaps 2 reasons? One, they are stocking up to take back to their covid infested CCP bat trap. Two, they actually are now showing becoming positive and are using much of it themselves as well?

Probably both.  I do some language consulting with Chinese groups and WeChat threads about treatment suggestions and drug substitutions have been quite common for a couple of weeks now.  I know that many of my contacts there, with friends or relatives overseas or traveling, are doing their best to get nearly any kind of cold or flu medication.

I've also been hearing from others around Asia, as HCM noted, and they also report that Chinese are buying up all they can find, in bulk if possible and sending or taking it back to China.  When they stopped the quarantine requirement last week, even those who were studying in the West and heading home were filling their luggage with all the medicine they could find.

It's rather hypocritical of the Chinese to say that other countries shouldn't "discriminate" against their international travelers when they are telling their own people not to travel for Lunar New Year festivities.

• Like 2

"The supply of face masks is still manageable". That's because the Chinese aren't wearing them when they're not required to, unlike Thais. The other day I saw some Chinese tourists at a mall, no masks. I think they understand that masks aren't useful in preventing Covid. Fever reducing medications do help in bringing down body temperatures though.

33 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

"The supply of face masks is still manageable". That's because the Chinese aren't wearing them when they're not required to, unlike Thais. The other day I saw some Chinese tourists at a mall, no masks. I think they understand that masks aren't useful in preventing Covid. Fever reducing medications do help in bringing down body temperatures though.

The other day I saw a water buffalo not wearing a mask. I think it was simply too dumb to do what is right for society.

1 hour ago, Highlandman said:

Or perhaps spreading the love again? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, socal said:

Another person ignoring 1st hand knowledge and experience to spread their agenda.... 

Not sure what's the fuss really. Medications are products for sale like any other product, so if it is for sale what's wrong with buying them? They do not steal them, they buy them cause they are for sale. Big Pharma will be more than happy to fill up pharmacy's shelves if needed (or not) and their pockets at the same time. There is more medications out there than it is needed, so don't worry, your next headache will always find a product for sale somewhere. And if a few average Chinese folks' headaches can be sorted cause a relative managed to buy some in Thailand cause there is a shortage in China (if that's true), then what is wrong with that? All good to me.