News Forum - Condom usage reportedly drops among Pattaya sex workers, STDs increase

Thaiger

In perhaps the worst city to not wear a condom, Pattaya’s sex workers are reportedly using condoms less than in pre-Covid days, according to disease control officials. A nurse from Pattaya’s Communicable Disease Prevention and Control Department, Nakanya Jantrakard, said the number of reported cases of AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases has gone up since 2019. In a meeting with charity networks, health workers and non-governmental organisations, representatives struggled to figure out how to reverse the trend, Pattaya Mail reported today.  Last month, it was reported that the percentage of AIDS infections has been rising among young Thais. According […]

The story Condom usage reportedly drops among Pattaya sex workers, STDs increase as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

May be the government can install some free condom dispensing vending machines at Pattaya, especially at the night entertainment venues so that those who need can get free condom from the dispensing machine. 

The sex workers are desperate for money.

They will agree to stuff which before they could afford to reject. Given many of them will now owe money to the vulture money lenders. Or their family does.

This is the cause of so much pain in Thailand. The local money lender who simply leeches off human misery and has no compassion. Charging outrageous interest rates that sees many who fall into their clutches lose everything.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

The sex workers are desperate for money.

They will agree to stuff which before they could afford to reject. Given many of them will now owe money to the vulture money lenders. Or their family does.

This is the cause of so much pain in Thailand. The local money lender who simply leeches off human misery and has no compassion. Charging outrageous interest rates that sees many who fall into their clutches lose everything.

My wife got into lending money out, at 10% but after no one paid back the loan, she raised it to 15%

And they all never missed paying back the interest every month, but after a year or so, I told her that she should just tell them they are even

They couldn't believe she did that and were very appreciative but she still made a ton of money off of them

They want her to lend more money now!

I swear they looked at her as she was doing them a favor, even before the loan forgiveness

So it's all part of the system/culture..........

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

So it's all part of the system/culture

It’s is. But still wrong. 

I know someone who got in to lending money. It all ended in tears. She ended up in court after trying to collect the loan after 18:00 (apparently that’s not allowed). Another person failed to pay her back and basically asked her what she was going to do about it. Nothing happened. Another complained to the police she was charging above allowed interest rates. She did make reasonable money, but all in all, it simply wasn’t worth the hassle or risk to liberty. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

It’s is. But still wrong. 

I know someone who got in to lending money. It all ended in tears. She ended up in court after trying to collect the loan after 18:00 (apparently that’s not allowed). Another person failed to pay her back and basically asked her what she was going to do about it. Nothing happened. Another complained to the police she was charging above allowed interest rates. She did make reasonable money, but all in all, it simply wasn’t worth the hassle or risk to liberty. 

Yes, I was never comfortable with it but as I said, it really did seem people looked at her as doing a service for them

I didn't see it that way but they do

It was almost exclusively her brother's friends, most MB taxi drivers

He took care of everything

She loaned out 400k to around 30 different people and no lie, no one missed an interest payment but only one person paid back the loan out of 30 in about 16 months when she finally forgave the loans

And honestly, it is really the only way in Thailand you should loan out money because if you do for free, you have a hard time getting it back

My wife gets asked all the time to lend money to friends and family, all the time

And she has a hard time getting it back

At least when she was doing this, she was able to point out she lends money for a fee

I can kind of see her point, in that regards

Oh............and if family asked, she said 20%! Because she didn't want to lend to them

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Soidog said:

it simply wasn’t worth the hassle or risk to liberty. 

I'm not religious, but sounds too me like a capital sin, good people should never stoop so low. I'd definitely have it high on my list of capital sins if I were to start my own religion.

14 minutes ago, Wackamole said:

I'm not religious, but sounds too me like a capital sin, good people should never stoop so low. I'd definitely have it high on my list of capital sins if I were to start my own religion.

Well I have no problem with people or institutions lending money. All governments and many businesses lend money to make money. Most people have also had a mortgage or car loan. The problem in Thailand is that people borrow money at eye watering APR and pay only the interest. They never pay down the debt. 

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Well I have no problem with people or institutions lending money. All governments and many businesses lend money to make money. Most people have also had a mortgage or car loan. The problem in Thailand is that people borrow money at eye watering APR and pay only the interest. They never pay down the debt. 

Yeah I understand that it's a necessary evil for humanity to advance.. And I sort of accept that reasonable interest rates do make sense because there is a work force to pay and money loses some value over time (I know nothing but more people borrowing money sounds like it could help make money lose value and perpetuate a vicious cycle?)

Still banks are mostly evil, and you don't get into lending money with interest because your heart is too pure.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

May be the government can install some free condom dispensing vending machines at Pattaya, especially at the night entertainment venues so that those who need can get free condom from the dispensing machine. 

Some animals are too impulsive to use them even if they came with $20 when you put them on

21 minutes ago, socal said:

Back on topic. Condoms. 

What kind of a utter fool screws around in pattaya without condoms ?

Just from the grapevine all through the years 

You do hear that a lot of older guys dint use them

Thinking their old enough if they get the HIV then whatever 

Who knows if true or not but have heard that numerous times

54 minutes ago, socal said:

Back on topic. Condoms. 

What kind of an utter fool screws around in pattaya without condoms ?

Drunk & drug addled fools, spur of the moment fools, trusting fools etc etc. Condoms just aren’t “cool” for some people who are likely unaware that PREP (pre exposure) medication exists that stops the transfer of HIV. Thailand currently has 520,000 diagnosed cases of HIV and God knows how many more undiagnosed cases. A lack of public education regarding this disease, the preventive medicines and treatment options available, the subsequent social stigma combined with widespread prostitution means this number is only set to increase. Blame that on the government. 

• Like 1