News Forum - Thailand’s second-hand car sales industry predicted to rise modestly

Thaiger

The Association of Used Car (AUC) predicts the second-hand car market in Thailand will increase by 15% this year despite the ongoing shortage of semiconductors needed for the production of new vehicles. The worldwide shortage of semiconductors is exacerbated by a political game of cat and mouse between China and Taiwan. Taiwan is largely known as the semiconductor capital of the world. Unfortunately for Taiwan, China has the raw materials needed to make the semiconductors but is refusing to ship them as they both agree to disagree on whether Taiwan is a part of and a province of One China. […]

The story Thailand’s second-hand car sales industry predicted to rise modestly as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Thais do not trust reliability of 2nd hand vehicles, even near new ones and will buy NEW for the warranty. 

2nd hand vehicles are usually over-valued and obtaining commercial finance is extremely difficult compared with NEW cars.

• Like 1

Yes you are correct on Thai wanting new cars and trucks like they want only new houses too. I bought my son and eldest daughter two different Mazda 2 and really got a good price in both with low miles. I was amazed but probably was lucky I’ve was night in Bangkok and the other here in CM. Great cars very well taken care of. Fir me and the wife, I bought new. Can’t let her and my snobbery slip down. What would people think! :classic_happy:

• Haha 2

Told the wife I was buying a second-hand pickup, her face was priceless until I told her I was buying from a Swiss guy and that it had a very low mileage, perfect maintenance record, plus he was knocking 100,000 baht off the price for me. (He needed cash quickly.) 

I suddenly became the genius in car buying. 

I'm sure her brain was working overtime thinking how to spend that 100,000 I had saved.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, palooka said:

I'm sure her brain was working overtime thinking how to spend that 100,000 I had saved.

True of women the World over 🙄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yes you are correct on Thai wanting new cars and trucks like they want only new houses too. I bought my son and eldest daughter two different Mazda 2 and really got a good price in both with low miles. I was amazed but probably was lucky I’ve was night in Bangkok and the other here in CM. Great cars very well taken care of. Fir me and the wife, I bought new. Can’t let her and my snobbery slip down. What would people think! :classic_happy:

the reason Thai people prefer NEW is that old is associated with ghosts and bad luck. Notice that most new car buyers have a monk to bless the car etc etc....

Used cars in developing countries tend to have a relatively high value

Second hand cars have traditionally held their value well, though, in Thailand - more so 20 years ago. The price is really dependant on the commercial/income value of a vehicle.

With clement weather, low maintenance costs and what used to be a relatively small used car market prices stayed high for years.

Now garages/dealerships are increasing labour charges and after the government sponsored boom a few years back the market was swollen with used vehicles, the overall prices have come down a bit.

The Thai motor industry is heavily protected by duties etc and the internal market is an important part of the Thai economy and car production has been overall too high - this is turn means a lot of used cars that even the most superstitious can't resist.

3 minutes ago, cowslip said:

the reason Thai people prefer NEW is that old is associated with ghosts and bad luck. 

That applies to old houses, not cars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

That applies to old houses, not cars.

Yep. Automobiles get blessed because they know the road and highways are death traps 

1 hour ago, cowslip said:

the reason Thai people prefer NEW is that old is associated with ghosts and bad luck. Notice that most new car buyers have a monk to bless the car etc etc....

Used cars in developing countries tend to have a relatively high value

Second hand cars have traditionally held their value well, though, in Thailand - more so 20 years ago. The price is really dependant on the commercial/income value of a vehicle.

With clement weather, low maintenance costs and what used to be a relatively small used car market prices stayed high for years.

Now garages/dealerships are increasing labour charges and after the government sponsored boom a few years back the market was swollen with used vehicles, the overall prices have come down a bit.

The Thai motor industry is heavily protected by duties etc and the internal market is an important part of the Thai economy and car production has been overall too high - this is turn means a lot of used cars that even the most superstitious can't resist.

House and homes . For Automobiles is just an extra safety feature . 

5 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I am sure you know the deal

In US, lots of kid's get their parents old car or you buy them a cheap 2nd hand car

Sometimes as low as $1500-2kusd and they are totally fine cars for a kid's 1st car

I tried looking for cars like that for my stepson and very hard to come by in Thailand

4 hours ago, palooka said:

Told the wife I was buying a second-hand pickup, her face was priceless until I told her I was buying from a Swiss guy and that it had a very low mileage, perfect maintenance record, plus he was knocking 100,000 baht off the price for me. (He needed cash quickly.) 

I suddenly became the genius in car buying. 

I think that is the way to do it in Thailand

If you can be patient and have cash to give, waiting on an expat leaving Thailand and selling his car at a decent price

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Can’t let her and my snobbery slip down. What would people think! :classic_happy:

Yes I noticed your comment about “Cheap Wines” in economy on another thread. I was shocked. Not only are some of my favourite wines cheap (yes I’m a cheap date!) but I never had you down as a snob @HolyCowCm 😉😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, palooka said:

😂😂. Whenever I tell a Thai friend what I paid for something, I always knock at least 20% off the price. If not they invariably tell me I’ve paid too much. Even when I’ve bought something in 7/11 or Tops. We foreigners are stupid you see. We don’t know how to do a deal in Thailand 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Soidog said:

Yes I noticed your comment about “Cheap Wines” in economy on another thread. I was shocked. Not only are some of my favourite wines cheap (yes I’m a cheap date!) but I never had you down as a snob @HolyCowCm 😉😉

No it was just a joke and am certainly not a snob in any of the slightest way. But I absolutely actually try to not drink bottom of the barrel cheap wines as I come away with more dissappointment bad headache or even getting the squirts rather than getting the reward of having that was delicious and no other effects. I have sampled probably over 50 different types from with-in Thailand semi mid high - medium cost to low cost range in Thailand and I usually will stick to a bottle in the range of 500 baht - 700 baht that does the trick ok. New Years I purchased bottles around 900 and 1000. So I don't go excessive high price but there is a range I found I need to stick in to be happy.

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

No it was just a joke and am certainly not a snob in any of the slightest way. But I absolutely actually try to not drink bottom of the barrel cheap wines as I come away with more dissappointment bad headache or even getting the squirts rather than getting the reward of having that was delicious and no other effects. I have sampled probably over 50 different types from with-in Thailand semi mid high - medium cost to low cost range in Thailand and I usually will stick to a bottle in the range of 500 baht - 700 baht that does the trick ok. New Years I purchased bottles around 900 and 1000. So I don't go excessive high price but there is a range I found I need to stick in to be happy.

Yes mate, I realised you were joking, as was I 😉. I’m no wine expert and just drink what I like. I miss drinking wine in Thailand as I struggle to get over the crazy prices compared to Europe. My local supermarket in the U.K. often has deals whereby you can get a decent Australian Wolfblass for around £4:90 (200 baht). In Thailand it can be five times that price. Enjoy 🍷🍷

7 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

But that 1000 baht bottle can be pretty crap in Thailand..........

I very rarely drink wine in Thailand

A) because I only drink red and it so often times goes bad easy in Thailand's weather

B) there is not a lot of good wine available

14 hours ago, Marc26 said:

But that 1000 baht bottle can be pretty crap in Thailand..........

I very rarely drink wine in Thailand

A) because I only drink red and it so often times goes bad easy in Thailand's weather

B) there is not a lot of good wine available

I have been through over literally 30 + types of imports from all countries from a local CM store. Now I have a pretty semi good handle on what is crap and what is ok. If too bad I pour it out.