News Forum - How to find the cheapest flights to Thailand (2023)

Thaiger

The cost of air travel to Thailand can vary depending on the time of year, the airport you are flying from, and the airline you are flying with. To get the best deals and find the cheapest flights to Thailand, it is important to do your research and compare different options. Here are some tips for finding the lowest prices on flights to Thailand. 1. Choose the Right Time to Travel Choosing the right time to travel to Thailand can have a big impact on the cost of your trip. Peak season for tourism in Thailand is generally from December […]

The story How to find the cheapest flights to Thailand (2023) as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

The cost of air travel to Thailand can vary depending on the time of year, the airport you are flying from, and the airline you are flying with.

Well there is a statement of the blindingly obvious.  You have to be pretty dim not to know that. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

Well there is a statement of the blindingly obvious.  You have to be pretty dim not to know that. 

Yes, I would imagine that flying from Phnom Penh to Thailand as compared with flying from London to Thailand is cheaper. I may be wrong? 😉

One thing is for sure. Almost without exception, the costs of flying to Thailand is a whole lot more, 50%-100% more than it was in 2019..

HIGH PRICES ARE BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE KIND COURTESY OF THE COMMUNISTS IN CHINA AND RUSSIA 

Thanks guys. xx

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

Yes, I would imagine that flying from Phnom Penh to Thailand as compared with flying from London to Thailand is cheaper. I may be wrong? 😉

One thing is for sure. Almost without exception, the costs of flying to Thailand is a whole lot more, 50%-100% more than it was in 2019..

HIGH PRICES ARE BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE KIND COURTESY OF THE COMMUNISTS IN CHINA AND RUSSIA 

Thanks guys. xx

Nah its cheaper with some flights. Big specials 3 months ago. 

2 minutes ago, Polkadot said:

Just avoid major holiday periods you get specials. Download apps and check in

Well I dare you to find a “special” from the U.K. in the next 6 months. 

I’ve been flying to Thailand up to 4 times a year for the past 20 years. Flights have been 50%-100% more than “normal years” for the last 12 months. Checking dates out until July this year is showing up the same kind of prices. Doesn’t matter if it’s Skyscanner, Cheapflights, Kayak, the airlines themselves  or whatever app you use. 

If I’m wrong then that’s fantastic news. Share the app and the data please. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Soidog said:

I’ve been flying to Thailand up to 4 times a year for the past 20 years. Flights have been 50%-100% more than “normal years” for the last 12 months. Checking dates out until July this year is showing up the same kind of prices. Doesn’t matter if it’s Skyscanner, Cheapflights, Kayak, the airlines themselves  or whatever app you use. 

Not my problem. Dont live in UK.

1 hour ago, Polkadot said:

Not my problem. Dont live in UK.

Coincidentally I have just tried EVA from Amsterdam return Bangkok in June,not that I want to visit Thailand in June I was just curious.More expensive than the trip I am just finishing,eye watering expensive.Only ok if you travel without luggage and get given a random seat.

12 hours ago, Polkadot said:

Just avoid major holiday periods you get specials. Download apps and check in

Come gather round people

Wherever you roam.....

The best time to go is when Anutin is on holiday. Make your booking at that same time. That way you might be able to avoid the farce that has been happening this week where the rules change three times in 24 hours. What a nice touch though, giving the first people from China a goodie bag containing masks and hand cleaner, probably with loads of ethanol in it. not sure if he has withdrawn ridiculous wearing of masks on planes? That would’ve been enough to stop me booking a flight to Thailand, but I’m stuck with whatever nonsense is planned as I’m on a 12 hour flight in three days time

15 hours ago, Soidog said:

It's crazy. Premium fares for December were within 10% of what they were pre-Covid (if booked September or earlier). The same tickets are 25%+ for February/March.

I first went to Thailand in the 90s and I’ve gone almost every year since 2000 (from Osaka). The interesting thing is how the situation is so fluid in terms of the cheapest or best option.

Back in the early days, Singapore Airlines flew direct from Osaka to Bangkok and they were also the cheapest. Hard to believe now as neither is the case. Eva Air, then later Air Asia had a run, and now Jeju Air via Seoul. Now I prioritize convenience over price but still check what the cheapest options are.

I think the key is to have an open mind and be aware that fare aggregators are not always the best way to find the cheapest option. Check airline websites directly and combine one ways with interline transfers. Always some hidden surprises that way.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Soidog said:

I see around 840 pounds for the direct flight

I am not from UK, but by memory being on these boards hasn't it always been around 600-700 pounds going way back?

I think you have to understand airfares were at a historically cheap prices for the last 6 years or so before this

Our flights are back down to $1300cad which is cheaper than a lot of years I have flown in the 20 years going to Thailand but more expensive than the last 4-5 years which got down to $900cad(which is crazy cheap)

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

I see around 840 pounds for the direct flight

I am not from UK, but by memory being on these boards hasn't it always been around 600-700 pounds going way back?

I think you have to understand airfares were at a historically cheap prices for the last 6 years or so before this

Our flights are back down to $1300cad which is cheaper than a lot of years I have flown in the 20 years going to Thailand but more expensive than the last 4-5 years which got down to $900cad(which is crazy cheap)

Yes that sound about right for May/JuneJuly. Previously around £550-£650. So that’s a 40% increase. I don’t accept that the previous 6 years were “historically cheap”. Over the past 20 years I have seen prices fluctuate but generally increase with typical inflation. Even with historically high inflation around the world, a 40% increase is excessive. If you opt for Premium or Business class as I tend to do, the increase is nearer 80%-100%

If you wanted to go direct from the U.K. a month from now, economy tickets are around £1,400. That’s a massive 130% increase. Before 2019 I could book a couple of weeks before I wanted to go and find prices were perhaps £600-£700

A £200 increase in flights may not seem a huge amount, but a family of four suddenly have to find another £800. It won’t deter everyone, myself included, but it will result in numbers being affected. Lots of alternative far closer to home with even better weather than Thailand in May/June/July. 

I’m not really sure there’s a lot more to debate. Prices are high in comparison to 2019. It’s a fact and it will deter people. That’s all I’m trying to say. I’m not debating if £100 is ok and £200 isn’t. 

3 hours ago, BigHewer said:

I first went to Thailand in the 90s and I’ve gone almost every year since 2000 (from Osaka). The interesting thing is how the situation is so fluid in terms of the cheapest or best option.

Back in the early days, Singapore Airlines flew direct from Osaka to Bangkok and they were also the cheapest. Hard to believe now as neither is the case. Eva Air, then later Air Asia had a run, and now Jeju Air via Seoul. Now I prioritize convenience over price but still check what the cheapest options are.

I think the key is to have an open mind and be aware that fare aggregators are not always the best way to find the cheapest option. Check airline websites directly and combine one ways with interline transfers. Always some hidden surprises that way.

Agree with all that BH. The issue driving this for me is a combination of three things:

Higher Fuel costs (Russian)

Lower number of flights (Supply and demand)

Airlines recouping losses (Shareholder demand and loan repayments)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Yes that sound about right for May/JuneJuly. Previously around £550-£650. So that’s a 40% increase. I don’t accept that the previous 6 years were “historically cheap”. Over the past 20 years I have seen prices fluctuate but generally increase with typical inflation. Even with historically high inflation around the world, a 40% increase is excessive. If you opt for Premium or Business class as I tend to do, the increase is nearer 80%-100%

If you wanted to go direct from the U.K. a month from now, economy tickets are around £1,400. That’s a massive 130% increase. Before 2019 I could book a couple of weeks before I wanted to go and find prices were perhaps £600-£700

A £200 increase in flights may not seem a huge amount, but a family of four suddenly have to find another £800. It won’t deter everyone, myself included, but it will result in numbers being affected. Lots of alternative far closer to home with even better weather than Thailand in May/June/July. 

I’m not really sure there’s a lot more to debate. Prices are high in comparison to 2019. It’s a fact and it will deter people. That’s all I’m trying to say. I’m not debating if £100 is ok and £200 isn’t. 

My point is prices are high but I have personally paid higher all throughout the years

But the last 4-5 years has been the cheapest ever, and if you really think about it, 900cad to fly to Asia from Canada is crazy cheap

And at least from North America, they are back to pretty normal

From NYC to BKK is $819.00usd in March

I can assure you that would be the cheapest I ever paid for that flight, even on my 1st trip back in 2003

https://www.google.ca/travel/flights/booking?tfs=CBwQAhplag0IAxIJL20vMDJfMjg2EgoyMDIzLTAzLTEwcgcIARIDQktLIh4KA0pGSxIKMjAyMy0wMy0xMBoDSUNOKgJLRTICODIiHwoDSUNOEgoyMDIzLTAzLTExGgNCS0sqAktFMgM2NTkaZWoHCAESA0JLSxIKMjAyMy0wMy0yNnINCAMSCS9tLzAyXzI4NiIfCgNCS0sSCjIwMjMtMDMtMjYaA0lDTioCS0UyAzY1OCIeCgNJQ04SCjIwMjMtMDMtMjcaA0pGSyoCS0UyAjg1cAGCAQsI____________AUABSAGYAQE&tfu=CnRDalJJT0V0RExVcHlSazAyUTJOQlNWTmFjM2RDUnkwdExTMHRMUzB0TFMxd1ptRmhORUZCUVVGQlIwODVjWE5qUXpOeU1VRkJFZ3BMUlRZMU9IeExSVGcxR2dzSWhOY0dFQUlhQTBOQlJEZ2NjUFQ4QkE9PRICCAE&gl=ca

• Like 1

^ But yes, obviously higher airfares will keep some away

Especially if they aren't a frequent flyer to Thailand like us and can put it as an average cost

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

Agree with all that BH. The issue driving this for me is a combination of three things:

Higher Fuel costs (Russian)

Lower number of flights (Supply and demand)

Airlines recouping losses (Shareholder demand and loan repayments)

Agreed on all fronts. Return fares now ex. Osaka are the highest they’ve been since the early 2000s.

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

Everyone seems to quote the cheapest price they see on websites or airline apps.That means it's a use it or lose it ticket,can't change or extend dates,only one carry on bag 7kg no checked luggage,no choice of seats.Those tickets seem ok until you read the Ts and C's.Theres no getting away from it a premium economy today is the same price as a business class 2019.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, yselmike said:

Everyone seems to quote the cheapest price they see on websites or airline apps.That means it's a use it or lose it ticket,can't change or extend dates,only one carry on bag 7kg no checked luggage,no choice of seats.Those tickets seem ok until you read the Ts and C's.Theres no getting away from it a premium economy today is the same price as a business class 2019.

That's not the case in North America now, especially after Covid 

I must have had over 10 Air Canada travel credits from flights I cancelled and they give you credits of the full fare

United is even better where you just use your cancelled confirmation # to use towards your new flight

Air Canada even lowered their criminally high $200 change fee to $50

But.....Air Canada now has the only flight ever from Vancouver to BKK and they only allow one free checked bag

It's $100 for 2nd bag

Not sure about booking ahead but tickets now from East coast of Australia are easily double closer to triple what they were pre covid don't know what all this shit is about cheap fares. Oh I suppose you could fly an air asia and then pay for baggage, water, a pillow or blanket, any seat worth sitting in and fly with all the other drop kicks that fly that sort of airline bleeech.

An issue here in New Zealand is that a number of airlines still have not returned and those that have are not flying as frequently as pre COVID. Coming to Thailand in March, had thought about April for Songkran but those tickets were super silly prices and I thought the March tickets were expensive. Guess I could stay home but my need for some excellent Thai fried chicken.

37 minutes ago, Jafagreg said:

An issue here in New Zealand is that a number of airlines still have not returned and those that have are not flying as frequently as pre COVID. Coming to Thailand in March, had thought about April for Songkran but those tickets were super silly prices and I thought the March tickets were expensive. Guess I could stay home but my need for some excellent Thai fried chicken.

AirNZ 787 service to HKG then Cathay A350 to BKK can be reasonably priced but the AirNZ cabin service is krap. 
SIA is exxy and there's a layover in SIN 🙄  
Ex SYD you can get an AirAsiaX flight via KL with easy connections to HKT, CNX or BKK.