News Forum - 4-metre waves off Pha Ngan capsize tugboat, crew rescued

Thaiger

At 4am on Saturday, tens of thousands of tourists and partiers were dancing the night away at Full Moon Party on Haad Rin Beach, Koh Pha Ngan. Just 37 kilometres away off the coast of the popular holiday island, catastrophe struck as huge waves capsized a tugboat, tossing all the crew members overboard into the swelling seas. The crew of the “PL Arthena” tugboat were rescued nearly 10 hours later on Saturday afternoon after their vessel was knocked over by heavy waves in the early hours. The oil tanker “Napapa” spotted the victims in the waters of Surat Thani province off […]

The story 4-metre waves off Pha Ngan capsize tugboat, crew rescued as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

2 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

4m waves do not cause a capsize of commercial vessels such as this.  Don't blame the weather.

I’m no authority of any sort, but that is what I was thinking after looking at the vessel. Seems that thing should have been able to take a pounding like water off a ducks back. 

• Like 2

Storm driven swells have a short period, ie the waves are close together.  Inattention to the helm or a mismanaged 90 degree turn can cause a vessel to broach, and potentially roll over.

I've taken smaller vessels through worse seas in Bass Strait and it can be very demanding of even the best helmsman.

• Like 2

Sounds like the usual case of negligence and poor maintenance if the engine room is flooding in waves a boat that size should simply shrug off.

If I could manage 2-3m swells in a racing dingy (Enterprise) then these guys should have had no problem.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, socal said:

I knew the experts would set this one straight. It couldn't have been waves. It was all 100% Thai incompetence. Yep. 

Well, you don’t have to be an expert to conclude that there was a fairly high level of probability that it would be 100% Thai incompetence. I certainly wouldn’t have bet against it. Would you?  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Storm driven swells have a short period, ie the waves are close together.  Inattention to the helm or a mismanaged 90 degree turn can cause a vessel to broach, and potentially roll over.

I've taken smaller vessels through worse seas in Bass Strait and it can be very demanding of even the best helmsman.

That’s why you’re the Kaptain. Thnx for the info. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, socal said:

I knew the experts would set this one straight. It couldn't have been waves. It was all 100% Thai incompetence. Yep. 

We don't know that yet.  I have simply provided an explanation for how a vessel may capsize.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, socal said:

Someone who is ignorant on a subject shares his expertise by dismissing others who know something about what is being discussed. 

Thanks for your input. I am sure people will keep it in mind.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Someone who is ignorant on a subject shares his expertise by dismissing others who know something about what is being discussed. 

Thanks for your input. I am sure people will keep it in mind.

It looks like we have an actual captain in the chat. I never meant someone like him.