Jump to content

News Forum - Indian travel slowing due to new restrictions


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

The massive Indian demographic for Thai tourism has been slowing due to new Covid-19 travel restrictions the Indian government has implemented. Travellers returning from Thailand are now required to take an RT-PCR test, an expensive inconvenience that is discouraging many from travelling. The so-called Mice (meetings, incentives, conventions and exhibitions) segment and independent travellers have been particularly put off by this new restriction. Enchantive Asia, a tour company specialising in clientele from the Indian subcontinent, estimates that corporate meetings from India will be reduced by at least 40% with many organisations suspending all travel plans in the first quarter. Some […]

The story Indian travel slowing due to new restrictions as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm beginning to like Covid. It keeps some of the new hoards of tourists away, keeps the Vaccine deniers at a safe distance, all is good with the World. Just need to put a stop on Chinese visitors and Russian draft dodgers and all would be perfect. 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can blame India's new restrictions on China's latest outbreak.  That's it, in a nutshell.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Best news I’ve read for a while. I was rather hoping China would be locked down for the next 50 years. I’m sorry it’s opened up again. 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dont blame the Indian authorites..Indians tend to travel for shopping and they buy a lot of clothes and shoes and visit temples also unlike disrespectful chinese tourists the Indians tend to be respectful towards thai culture .. .hope the Thai Authorities put strict restrictions to the entry of Chinese tourists cause not only are the Chinese bad behaviour people and largely overstay and establish their own mafia in Thailand but also very nasty to the local culture and most importantly they are the reason for Covid so Hope they are required to take Pre arrival RTPCR test for the safety of Thailand and others or Thailand may get on the Ban list of Other countries...I hope Thai authorities stop boot licking the Chinese.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not the smartest decision, imho. First: Omikron doesn't cause much severe illness, except in the a population group, that is too old to travel. Second: even the best vaccines don't prevent from infections or from being infectious. Third: the Chinese vaccines are scrap. It is close to useless to force Chinese travelers (and with them all other travelers too) to get vaccinated and buying a special health insurance before travelling to Thailand. It will hit the tourism industry and will make nothing better. I am not effected, because I am vaccinated and I am already in Thailand, but the decision seems for me to be very, very wrong. I can understand the worries, but the decision is not the result of a rational conclusion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Bernhard said:

and buying a special health insurance before travelling to Thailand

To be fair, most normal travel insurance these days will cover you for Covid. My Virgin travel insurance certainly does. My concern is more about the “Random testing” that was mentioned last week. If unlucky and found positive, what then happens to you? The travel insurance only covers you for medical treatment and things like curtailment of holidays. I don’t believe it would cover you for the cost of quarantine? 
 

I do agree that to inconvenience everyone in order to show impartiality to people arriving from China is madness. I still feel this could change next week? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Soidog said:

To be fair, most normal travel insurance these days will cover you for Covid. My Virgin travel insurance certainly does. My concern is more about the “Random testing” that was mentioned last week. If unlucky and found positive, what then happens to you? The travel insurance only covers you for medical treatment and things like curtailment of holidays. I don’t believe it would cover you for the cost of quarantine? 
 

I do agree that to inconvenience everyone in order to show impartiality to people arriving from China is madness. I still feel this could change next week? 

And I can tell you, that most german health insurances (GKV) are insufficient for that, especially when you aim for more than a 2 weeks stay. And you think, that all the Indian travelers have a matching insurance? This is not fair this to think, it is something else.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

I do agree that to inconvenience everyone in order to show impartiality to people arriving from China is madness. I still feel this could change next week? 

It is nuts. They need to require PCR tests for passengers from China, and only China. Or better yet ban them completely until the situation in China improves. Yes, they'll lose a few baht in the short term, but it beats the alternative when they'll have to shut down the country for months when they realize they messed up. Again. Exactly like 2020.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Bernhard said:

And I can tell you, that most german health insurances (GKV) are insufficient for that, especially when you aim for more than a 2 weeks stay. And you think, that all the Indian travelers have a matching insurance? This is not fair this to think, it is something else.

I’m surprised to hear that. I’m 54 and I got annual cover which includes Covid cover for around £130 per annum. It’s surprising and disappointing to hear German insurers don’t offer something similar? I don’t know if you have to be a British citizen to get Virgin Tracel insurance? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I’m surprised to hear that. I’m 54 and I got annual cover which includes Covid cover for around £130 per annum. It’s surprising and disappointing to hear German insurers don’t offer something similar? I don’t know if you have to be a British citizen to get Virgin Tracel insurance? 

You mean all Indians should have all the time your british "only 130 pound per year" insurance? Or do you mean, that I was too stupid for that, as I have bought last year for around 12,000 baht a 3 month Thai insurance? To be fair: you seem to think very much from your point of view. And we are talking in endless circles. It is inconvenient, useless and negative for the Thai economy to force a purchase of such a insurance, imho. But not for you and this is, what you should have said to be fair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Bernhard said:

You mean all Indians should have all the time your british "only 130 pound per year" insurance? Or do you mean, that I was too stupid for that, as I have bought last year for around 12,000 baht a 3 month Thai insurance? To be fair: you seem to think very much from your point of view. And we are talking in endless circles. It is inconvenient, useless and negative for the Thai economy to force a purchase of such an insurance, imho. But not for you and this is, what you should have said to be fair.

Why are you attempting to start an argument with someone who was simply trying to help you? I’m not advocating people must have insurance. That’s a personal choice. Unfortunately at the moment, if you want to go to Thailand, then it seems you must have it. I personally always take out travel insurance as I want to protect myself against unforeseen emergencies and that’s my personal choice. Do what you wish and the Indian people can do what they wish.  
 

Im not trying to argue I was trying to help you. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

My concern is more about the “Random testing” that was mentioned last week. If unlucky and found positive, what then happens to you?

That part assumes that being tested after being picked randomly is inevitable. I doubt that's true. A randomly picked subject can refuse and next decide to not succumb to intimidations. The first few obstinate persons (probably not even that) might be denied entry. If that happens anyway, word would get out -- which is something TAT and Thai government would abhor. The entire idea of random testing rests on voluntary participation, even if that (obviously) isn't made explicit.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Why are you attempting to start an argument with someone who was simply trying to help you? I’m not advocating people must have insurance. That’s a personal choice. Unfortunately at the moment, if you want to go to Thailand, then it seems you must have it. I personally always take out travel insurance as I want to protect myself against unforeseen emergencies and that’s my personal choice. Do what you wish and the Indian people can do what they wish.  
 

Im not trying to argue I was trying to help you. 

55555 To help me? With what? I have told, that I am not effected, because I am already in Thailand. And you have really such good connections to invite me into the British health system? Wow. Sorry, I have no to interrupt our endless circle, because it becomes to be too useless. Have a good night. Bye.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Bernhard said:

55555 To help me? With what? I have told, that I am not effected, because I am already in Thailand. And you have really such good connections to invite me into the British health system? Wow. Sorry, I have no to interrupt our endless circle, because it becomes to be too useless. Have a good night. Bye.

😂😂😂. Incredible. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

That part assumes that being tested after being picked randomly is inevitable. I doubt that's true. A randomly picked subject can refuse and next decide to not succumb to intimidations. The first few obstinate persons (probably not even that) might be denied entry. If that happens anyway, word would get out -- which is something TAT and Thai government would abhor. The entire idea of random testing rests on voluntary participation, even if that (obviously) isn't made explicit.
 

Well it’s an interesting thought. I’m not sure what the Thai Immigration would do if you refused a test. They would perhaps deny you entry. As for the impact of this on the wider tourism, I’m not sure. You only have to read a few differing opinions on this forum to see how different people are. I’m sure there would be plenty who would say - Kick the person out. There would be others who would say it’s outrageous. I’m not sure how I would react. I think I’d take the test and hope for the best. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Pinetree said:

I'm beginning to like Covid. It keeps some of the new hoards of tourists away, keeps the Vaccine deniers at a safe distance, all is good with the World. Just need to put a stop on Chinese visitors and Russian draft dodgers and all would be perfect. 

I do like Covid too.  For better or worse, it is the new flu for the past year.   We will see if a nastier variant emerges.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

oh Thank God. Lord Vishu, Lord Shiva and Lord Brahma. That "expensive inconvenience" as this amazing journalism text described PCR test, actually saves lives. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So as the insurance companies know that Thailand will be flooded with Chinese covid infected tourists (proven by the recent reports out of Italy) would they pay out as its a known risk? Increased risk at that. Check the fine print.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Soidog said:

I do agree that to inconvenience everyone in order to show impartiality to people arriving from China is madness. I still feel this could change next week? 

It's happening on Monday. They don't wanna be accused of doing nothing but they also don't want to risk angering the CCP, so here we go again with the bs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

New infection clusters from Planeloads of diseased hordes bearing fake PCr test papers.

Overwhelmed hospitals unpaid. Insurance?  Indians are not stupid to wait a few months,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, stuhan said:

It's all starting again, same as before china to blame again.

How many people can see the flood gates about to open again... again the ChinaVirus will be rife in Thailand.  I hope (for the sake of hard working Thai's) that restrictions on their businesses are not effected in the near future.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

Well it’s an interesting thought. I’m not sure what the Thai Immigration would do if you refused a test. They would perhaps deny you entry. As for the impact of this on the wider tourism, I’m not sure. You only have to read a few differing opinions on this forum to see how different people are. I’m sure there would be plenty who would say - Kick the person out. There would be others who would say it’s outrageous. I’m not sure how I would react. I think I’d take the test and hope for the best. 

It's the Indian government that is demanding a test not the Thai government. I don't see how the Indian government can deny entry to its own citizens who refuse a test but its the airlines enforcing this. Since Indians can't travel back home by land via Myanmar, they have to go by air.

To avoid the test they could travel back home via Malaysia or Vietnam, but would need to enter those countries first, not remain in transit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use