News Forum - Young Welshman seriously injured in motorbike accident in Koh Samui, Thailand

Thaiger

A 28 year old Welshman remains in a government hospital in Koh Samui, southern Thailand, after a motorbike collision on Boxing Day. Adam Davies, from Dinas Cross in Pembrokeshire, sustained multiple injuries including a fractured skull in three places, bleeding in the brain, a punctured lung, five broken ribs, a fractured collarbone, broken shoulder blade, fractured ankle, and other minor injuries. The tourist had been to Nepal before travelling to the popular tourist island where he hoped to celebrate the new year. Davies’ sister Jessica set up a GoFundMe page to raise money for her brother’s hospital bills in Koh Samui. […]

The story Young Welshman seriously injured in motorbike accident in Koh Samui, Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I’m waiting for the day when the Thai media split it down even further and start producing headline such as:

A young Yorkshireman….

A young Welshman for heavens sake.  Was it Gareth Bale or something 😂😂😂

1 minute ago, Grumpish said:

And the now obligatory GoFundMe page.. because he was too stupid to buy or check his travel insurance.

Come on @Grumpish. He’s Welsh for heavens sake. 😉😉

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I'm with you SD, sheep shaggers are good people.  This young fella probably did something stupid but it sounds like his insurance wasn't adequate, didn't cover m/bike accidents.

I'm not a fan of gofundme/begging though in this case the need may be genuine.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Soidog said:

5 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

with you SD, sheep shaggers are good people

And there was me trying to resist the sheep jokes....

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

And there was me trying to resist the sheep jokes....

You mean like the one:

What do you call two sheep tied to a post outside of Pontypridd?…..

A Leisure Centre!

Now stop it @Grumpish no more!!  😉😉

• Haha 4

I almost feel compelled to donate.  I wonder if he was wearing a helmet or had a license.  It's likely safe to assume neither based on his injuries and lack of insurance coverage. I also wonder why he crashed.  Still feel sorry for him.  Looks like the GoFundMe page has already raised the requested funds. 

• Like 2

He’s very lucky to be alive. With so many injuries, he’s likely to have lasting problems for many years. The family really need to get this story in the British media if they are going to cover his medical bills. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Soidog said:

He’s very lucky to be alive. With so many injuries, he’s likely to have lasting problems for many years. The family really need to get this story in the British media if they are going to cover his medical bills. 

So far, £19,873 has been raised of 15,000 goal.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

So far, £19,873 has been raised of 15,000 goal.

Yes that’s a good amount of money. The family may need more than that to get him home depending on how bad his injuries are. Hopefully he can get well and get home soon. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

I almost feel compelled to donate.  I wonder if he was wearing a helmet or had a license.  It's likely safe to assume neither based on his injuries and lack of insurance coverage. I also wonder why he crashed.  Still feel sorry for him.  Looks like the GoFundMe page has already raised the requested funds. 

I recall the series, "Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand", regarding a motorcycling insurance claim. Can't remember the exact details, but his UK travel insurance refused to pay out for some reason. This was successfuly disputed by the insured. Then they refused to pay out because he wasn't wearing a helmet. He was. Finally, they refused to pay out because he was using a UK licence which gave him learner rights in the UK, but was accepted as a full licence in TH. However though he was fully legal to drive in TH, they invalidated the claim because he had not undergone the Compulsory Bike Training that would have made him legal in the UK.

• Like 1

Hospitals are by law required to give medical care to patients, regardless of whether or not the resulting bills are affordable; unpaid bills are simply accumulated. What happens is the patient is willing but unable to pay the full amount in the end? I suppose a procedure exists for dealing with that for Thai ex-patients (sth. like a partial waiver or paying in installments perhaps), but what happens when the case involves a tourist? A hospital can't hold a patient hostage for non-medical reasons (and even if there are medical reasons they'd have to be very severe), so simply walking/limping away & going home seems an option.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grumpish said:

And the now obligatory GoFundMe page.. because he was too stupid to buy or check his travel insurance.

And all the morons will be lined up to pay when that money could be donated instead to help starving kids around the world.

8 hours ago, Grumpish said:

For an accident like this i dont mind the gofundme.  much better we insure each other than sending everything through an insurance company to steal half of it.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chatogaster said:

Hospitals are by law required to give medical care to patients, regardless of whether or not the resulting bills are affordable; unpaid bills are simply accumulated. What happens is the patient is willing but unable to pay the full amount in the end? I suppose a procedure exists for dealing with that for Thai ex-patients (sth. like a partial waiver or paying in installments perhaps), but what happens when the case involves a tourist? A hospital can't hold a patient hostage for non-medical reasons (and even if there are medical reasons they'd have to be very severe), so simply walking/limping away & going home seems an option.

Tell that to the hospitals... last I experienced it took me waiting for 9 hours after I was medically released for the hospital to open the security guarded exit door and let me leave... my insurance company was slow to approve the bill... I finally called an attorney who came to the hospital and had to personally guarantee my bill in order for me to be released.

4 hours ago, MrNovax said:

For an accident like this i dont mind the gofundme.  much better we insure each other than sending everything through an insurance company to steal half of it.   

Sounds great how you say it, but Im worried a certain lot of people are going to do much of the accidenting and the rest all of the insuring each other.

14 hours ago, Chatogaster said:

There are varying types of medical care. Some  expensive intervention can be withheld. Hospitals do take and hold passports.

8 hours ago, MrNovax said:

How does an insurance company  "steal half of it'? You are very quick to make conspiracy claims, but never able to substantiate the claims outside the realm of the imaginings of paranoia. The health insurers pay out hundreds of millions of baht every year, based upon what the contract of coverage states.  I have had some of my health insurance claims denied, and it is typically because I chose not to insure something or selected a lower policy sublimit.

17 hours ago, Grumpish said:

The insurance outfits will do anything to deny your claim anyway. I still get it. But I have no real expectations of it. Maybe I will get lucky and somehow have the perfect claim. Thats the only reason I have it

Edited by socal

19 minutes ago, Vigo said:

How does an insurance company  "steal half of it'? You are very quick to make conspiracy claims, but never able to substantiate the claims outside the realm of the imaginings of paranoia. The health insurers pay out hundreds of millions of baht every year, based upon what the contract of coverage states.  I have had some of my health insurance claims denied, and it is typically because I chose not to insure something or selected a lower policy sublimit.

You are very quick to deny them. 

We have "free" healthcare in Canada. But in the province of BC, we have an insurance scheme also to fill the holes. I was involved in an incident and had to take an ambulance ride. The "free" healthcare didnt cover it and neither did the insurance scam. I had a $600 bill in my mailbox a week later.

Edited by socal

39 minutes ago, socal said:

You are very quick to deny them. 

We have "free" healthcare in Canada. But in the province of BC, we have an insurance scheme also to fill the holes. I was involved in an incident and had to take an ambulance ride. The "free" healthcare didnt cover it and neither did the insurance scam. I had a $600 bill in my mailbox a week later.

What do you mean by "insurance scheme"?

I have the BC Care Card but my wife and I also have extended healthcare through my employer with Manulife

Our benefit are pretty clearly stated on what they cover and don't cover

They do cover ambulance 

18 hours ago, Soidog said:

Yes he has lots of big boo boos that will stay with him forever and otherwise will take a long time to get over. From the picture he is lucky he didn't take a fall backwards from being careless. But he looks like a nice guy, so hope he gets well fast.

adam-thailand.JPG.article-962.jpg

• Like 1

1) Was he wearing a helmet?

2) What kind of insurance did he buy?

3) Is he at an age to understand what might happen without the above?

If the answers are No, Cheap Basic, and yes

Then you have the answer.

Insurance company will always look for a way out not to pay, if not wearing a helmet for example case closed even if it wasn't his fault.

The issue with the insurance was that he had taken it out with his bank and it was an annual policy but it only covered him for trips to a single country for up to 31 days.

It looks like he had been elsewhere first and so needed to return to the UK before making the trip to Thailand.

The UK news article is a little vague, it could be that he had been overseas for longer than the 31 days permitted for individual trips.

Either way it does look as though there was some small print which he didn’t read. He just assumed he had annual cover.

I suspect he might have been using insurance associated with a premium bank account. They often include travel insurance which makes their annual subscription fee more palatable.