News Forum - Thailand reintroduces Covid-19 vaccine requirement for all visitors

Thaiger

2 hours ago, darius said:

Ask her doctor. Mine basically said that (non-N95) masks were mostly superstition against Omicron and later variants.  We already had it before the shots were available so now have more risks for any new boosters than catching it again.  Myself, I don't mind seeing folks that do wear masks because there are good reasons to do it.  (Say like weak immune due to surgery or illness)

the masks are not protection for the wearer - they are to restrict transmission via droplets to others.

• Like 3

On 1/6/2023 at 1:03 PM, Thaiger said:

Anyone wishing to gain entry into Thailand will soon be required to show proof of receiving at least two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine prior to their arrival. The measure will apply to all arrivals in the kingdom regardless of nationality. The Ministry of Public Health is planning to reintroduce the old entry requirement amid concerns that Chinese tourists will import a caseload of Covid-19 into Thailand when China – where the virus is rampant – reopens its border on Sunday, January 8. Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul was not clear about when the measure would come into effect. It is […]

The story Thailand reintroduces Covid-19 vaccine requirement for all visitors as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

My shots were in 2021

23 hours ago, Highlandman said:

In fact, in the ensuing panic, I've seen dozens of reports on social media of people canceling Thailand holidays.

Dozens, well that's going to decimate tourism now, isn't it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Polkadot said:

My shots were in 2021

There appears to be no time constraints, and the same vaccination rules apply as previously:

i.e. one shot of J&J, wait a couple of weeks and you're good to go.

7 hours ago, harrybarra said:

There appears to be no time constraints, and the same vaccination rules apply as previously:

i.e. one shot of J&J, wait a couple of weeks and you're good to go.

J&j low effectiveness

Moderna booster provides way more protection

7 hours ago, harrybarra said:

Dozens, well that's going to decimate tourism now, isn't it?

He meant dozens of reports. Tour operators across Europe are having major issues with people cancelling and having to refund them. The numbers affected could run in to the tens of thousands and the longer this goes on, many many more. 

Are you defending the policy or just taking a cheap shot at a reasonable post? 

On 1/6/2023 at 10:43 AM, Shade_Wilder said:

PS does anyone have good information regarding insurance? I have read conflicting stories. Yes, TIT.

You will need $10k of coverage if your onward travel takes you to a country requiring a preflight negative COVID test 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2477834/some-visitors-must-show-minimum-us-10-000-health-insurance

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Soidog said:

He meant dozens of reports. Tour operators across Europe are having major issues with people cancelling and having to refund them. The numbers affected could run in to the tens of thousands and the longer this goes on, many many more. 

Are you defending the policy or just taking a cheap shot at a reasonable post? 

I doubt very much it runs into the 10'a of thousands

Now you are just chicken littling us 

The vast majority of people traveling were already vaccinated or got vaccinated specifically to travel

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

The vast majority of people traveling were already vaccinated or got vaccinated specifically to travel

We know that Covid restrictions previously shut down the Thai tourist industry completely.

e are now looking at numbers for last year that were down from 40 million to 10 million.

Reintroducing new restrictions - whatever they are and whoever they are aimed at, will result in reductions of entries - and only a small fraction of 10 million could be tens of thousands.

As said it isn't just those without vaccines who are affected.....and this at. time when Thailand is desperate to increase the numbers of visitors.

Edited by cowslip
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Well read this article. Germany claims 20% of its population are unvaccinated 

We could debate all day how many and we would be wasting our time. The fact is this is significant.

I would also add, that you will have maybe a group of four travellers and perhaps one of them isn’t vaccinated  what do you do,  leave that person behind? 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2477817/sudden-jab-proof-rule-upsets-foreign-tour-firms-phuket-tourist-association

36 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

It seems, as predicted, the pathetic excuse for a government have back-tracked on this shambolic policy. Only problem is, typical “Thai Style” they’ve added even more ambiguity. Clueless. 

Only now are the authorities beginning to realise te enormity of what they've done and are back-tracking already...... it's difficult to see how immigration can enforce these changes at such short notice without creating huge tailbacks at the airports.

• Like 1

I’m starting to think that Thais have no concept of loss of face. If they did, then surely they would behave as they do. They have been exposed yet again for their total lack of understanding and ability to plan. They are now flip-flopping around trying to recover the situation. That, by any definition, is behaviour which affects a massive loss of face. And it’s self inflicted. Funny if it wasn’t so disruptive to people. 

5 hours ago, Soidog said:

Well read this article. Germany claims 20% of its population are unvaccinated 

We could debate all day how many and we would be wasting our time. The fact is this is significant.

I would also add, that you will have maybe a group of four travellers and perhaps one of them isn’t vaccinated  what do you do,  leave that person behind? 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2477817/sudden-jab-proof-rule-upsets-foreign-tour-firms-phuket-tourist-association

All you have to do is think logical and look at the massive increase in travel all over the world once restrictions were dropped but you still needed to show proof of vaccination 

And people who are booking to go to Thailand still less than one year after they dropped restrictions are more than likely are frequent visitors or experienced travelers

I doubt many people just deciding go travel all the way to Thailand for the QST time on a whim still 

• Like 1

In Thailand the big increase took place after oct 1st when restrictions were all lifted.

I would think the main concern would be Thai immigration's ability to deal with te extra checking and then the effect on prospective visitors.

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

All you have to do is think logical and look at the massive increase in travel all over the world once restrictions were dropped but you still needed to show proof of vaccination 

And people who are booking to go to Thailand still less than one year after they dropped restrictions are more than likely are frequent visitors or experienced travelers

I doubt many people just deciding go travel all the way to Thailand for the QST time on a whim still 

So why are so many countries complaining and agents claiming cancellations. My option or your own are nothing compared to the people who actually work in the industry. Even the scared mice at the Bangkok Post dared to run the story. 

Anyway, like I’ve said a few times. It won’t last and I’m sure all will be sorted out by Tuesday latest. Well, as sorted as the punch of fruitcakes running Thailand are capable of. 

I should add, that if they don’t change anything, then it means they think the numbers affected are low. If they do, then even they know this will be having a big impact and soften or change the rules. Let’s see ….

On 1/6/2023 at 11:03 AM, Thaiger said:

Anyone wishing to gain entry into Thailand will soon be required to show proof of receiving at least two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine prior to their arrival. The measure will apply to all arrivals in the kingdom regardless of nationality. The Ministry of Public Health is planning to reintroduce the old entry requirement amid concerns that Chinese tourists will import a caseload of Covid-19 into Thailand when China – where the virus is rampant – reopens its border on Sunday, January 8. Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul was not clear about when the measure would come into effect.

Because of 1 country, the rest of the world has to suffer.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Soidog said:

So why are so many countries complaining and agents claiming cancellations. My option or your own are nothing compared to the people who actually work in the industry. Even the scared mice at the Bangkok Post dared to run the story. 

Anyway, like I’ve said a few times. It won’t last and I’m sure all will be sorted out by Tuesday latest. Well, as sorted as the punch of fruitcakes running Thailand are capable of. 

I should add, that if they don’t change anything, then it means they think the numbers affected are low. If they do, then even they know this will be having a big impact and soften or change the rules. Let’s see ….

Seems I called it right @Marc26  they have finally woken up and realised the impact was going to be significant and dropped the vaccine requirements. 

14 hours ago, Marc26 said:

All you have to do is think logical

Like you said in your post “All you have to do is think logical” 

So now this is cleared up, it seems the floodgates are open to everyone, including those travelling from a country with the highest number of Covid cases the world has seen since the pandemic was started by that same country.