News Forum - Thailand reintroduces Covid-19 vaccine requirement for all visitors

Thaiger

Anyone wishing to gain entry into Thailand will soon be required to show proof of receiving at least two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine prior to their arrival. The measure will apply to all arrivals in the kingdom regardless of nationality. The Ministry of Public Health is planning to reintroduce the old entry requirement amid concerns that Chinese tourists will import a caseload of Covid-19 into Thailand when China – where the virus is rampant – reopens its border on Sunday, January 8. Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul was not clear about when the measure would come into effect. It is […]

The story Thailand reintroduces Covid-19 vaccine requirement for all visitors as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

40 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Anyone wishing to gain entry into Thailand will soon be required to show proof of receiving at least two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine prior to their arrival. The measure will apply to all arrivals in the kingdom regardless of nationality.

I don't have a problem with requiring people to be vaccinated for entry; literally billions of shots have already been given globally and the vaxxes are good.

If you don't want to be vaccinated, that's fine too; enjoy writing your angry letters to the government from your cabin in the deep woods.

But, to imply that this isn't aimed at the Chinese is rich, even for Thailand. It is 100% aimed at the Chinese, and for good reason.

PS does anyone have good information regarding insurance? I have read conflicting stories. Yes, TIT.

Anyone?

43 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

PS does anyone have good information regarding insurance? I have read conflicting stories. Yes, TIT.

Anyone?

"Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul was not clear about when the measure would come into effect. It is expected to start sometime before January 12 when the first flight from China to Thailand is scheduled to arrive at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport, but this is yet to be confirmed."

Plenty of time to flip flop.  There is no good information anywhere yet.

• Like 1

Bye bye to tourists revival, everything going along smoothly, now gone back to bad old restrictions days, hope the Chinese were worth it, you can forget about half of Europes under 30s, and can't see any of the Indians forking out extra rupees for extras 

So who is going to check the new requirements.

I can’t honestly see the worlds airlines or struggling airports stepping back to checking every passenger meets the requirements before travelling and if it’s going to be done at the arrivals point in Thailand. The airport will just clog up. 

it’s probably best for the rest of the world to stay away for now anyway, as Thailand is about to become heavily infected with new variants.

What with unreliable vaccines, undisclosed infection rates, fake documents and the number of visitors that will come. Thailand will soon place itself in the same place as China (a covid hot spot),

This will drive the rest of the world away, just when you we’re starting to get them back. Ironically, it’s not because they don’t have the vaccines, or the insurance. It’s just that they don’t need the queues and the hassle. Let alone the feeling of being thrown in the same bucket because of another nations inability. 

one step forward an three steps back. 

• Like 5

Yeah it's true! That's the most stupid movement from Thai government! I will be cancel my holiday then! Again won't be long after they see the increase of travelers soon they will be fully open again! 

Edited by gorjusniki
  • Like 2

This makes no sense.  Because of China, travelers from the rest of the world must be vaxxed, lol, great logic.  Not to mention that the vaccines don't stop transmission, it's much more important to have travelers have a negative Covid test.  The insurance requirement is fine and makes sense.  

I don't think this new Covid requirement will last long, Thailand can't keep decimating its tourism industry and the poor citizens that rely on it to feed their families.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

PS does anyone have good information regarding insurance? I have read conflicting stories

What information are you looking for? 

I’m expecting a change to all of this next week. This is end of the week knee jerking and pressure will mount politically over the weekend. See what next week brings and await a formal statement from foreign embassy’s 

Insane clown world ver 2.0. More of what didn't work the first time. How many shots is it now? 4? 8? LOL, PT Barnum was right.

Edited by Zool
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Zool said:

Insane clown world ver 2.0. More of what didn't work the first time. How many shots is it now? 4? 8? LOL, PT Barnum was right.

Only in your mind. The vaccine program has saved the world economy and saved millions of lives. If one looks at the more documented US data, one sees that; From December 2020 through November 2022, it is estimated that the COVID-19 vaccination program in the U.S. prevented more than 18.5 million additional hospitalizations and 3.2 million additional deaths. Without vaccination, there would have been nearly 120 million more COVID-19 infections. The vaccination program also saved the U.S. $1.15 trillion (Credible Interval: $1.10 trillion–$1.19 trillion) (data not shown) in medical costs that would otherwise have been incurred.  https://www.commonwealthfund.org/blog/2022/two-years-covid-vaccines-prevented-millions-deaths-hospitalizations#:~:text=From December 2020 through November,million more COVID-19 infections.

The shrinking group of anti vaccination opponents can't handle the reality that the vaccines worked and that their imagined  mass deaths and assorted conspiracies never materialized.  The Pfizer & Moderna vaccines are two of the safest vaccines on record, and most effective vaccines for a deadly infectious disease. Instead of being grateful, a very small group of selfish people wish to disrupt for all. Here is the reality; Almost all international travelers are vaccinated and they do not care about the inconveniences of unvaccinated. You don't want the vaccine. OK. Stay home.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Skip said:

Good... except that CCP vaccines have been proven to be ineffective... so two of them is twice as ineffective

Not all. In Hong Kong it was found that the Coronavac offered just as much protection against severe disease as the Pfizer mRNA vaccines for adults under age 60.  

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2022/12/30/1143696652/chinas-covid-vaccines-do-the-jabs-do-the-job

13 hours ago, Saunk said:

This makes no sense.  Because of China, travelers from the rest of the world must be vaxxed, lol, great logic.  Not to mention that the vaccines don't stop transmission, it's much more important to have travelers have a negative Covid test.  The insurance requirement is fine and makes sense.  

I don't think this new Covid requirement will last long, Thailand can't keep decimating its tourism industry and the poor citizens that rely on it to feed their families.

How does  a vaccine requirement decimate the tourism industry? Almost all international travelers comply with the requirement. The overwhelming opinion of Thai people is that visitors should be vaccinated. Ask around. Every Thai I know including hospitality sector supports the change.

• Like 3

On 1/6/2023 at 10:43 AM, Shade_Wilder said:

I don't have a problem with requiring people to be vaccinated for entry; literally billions of shots have already been given globally and the vaxxes are good.

If you don't want to be vaccinated, that's fine too; enjoy writing your angry letters to the government from your cabin in the deep woods.

But, to imply that this isn't aimed at the Chinese is rich, even for Thailand. It is 100% aimed at the Chinese, and for good reason.

Anyone?

It's aimed at everyone and now we will all suffer. No problem though, I'm not bitter. Plenty of other more welcoming countries that don't practice this nonsense and aren't still paranoid over what is now a mild cold.

Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia are all fully open and very few masks are worn anymore, particularly in Laos and Cambodia. It's a different world in these countries and they'll benefit from Thailand's restrictions.  

In fact, in the ensuing panic, I've seen dozens of reports on social media of people canceling Thailand holidays.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Vigo said:

How does  a vaccine requirement decimate the tourism industry? Almost all international travelers comply with the requirement. The overwhelming opinion of Thai people is that visitors should be vaccinated. Ask around. Every Thai I know including hospitality sector supports the change.

That's because they're not very bright.

Thais support whatever the government proposes because they're a very authority obeying people.

It will decimate the tourism industry because not everyone is vaccinated or wants to be. Since yesterday, I've seen dozens of reports of people panicking and canceling Thailand holidays.

Then there are those who may be traveling as families but the children aren't vaccinated. What do they do? Vaccines that were administered in 2021, will they be expired now according to the Thai government?

This is a very backwards step.

If Thais don't get over Covid, soon no one will come.

I still feel uncomfortable walking the streets of Thailand as the locals clearly look paranoid and scared. I'm usually the only unmasked person around. Whereas in Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, people are embracing life again. No mask no problem, because most locals aren't masking up anymore either.

• Like 2

When Thailand's brain trust is confronted with a cancer, they usually attempt to cut it out very carefully with a chain saw and axe in a major Crack Down operation. 

Russians.  Infected Chinese with a worthless vaccine.   Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead back to the future.

• Haha 1

One post removed as this NOT the place for discussions regarding efficacy of vaccines. 

Please stay on topic which is:-  Thailand's requirement for visitor entry.

MODERATOR.

3 hours ago, Highlandman said:

That's because they're not very bright.

Thais support whatever the government proposes because they're a very authority obeying people.

Not true. People who say Thais support the change are either lying or at the very least are exagerated hugely or just make it up... I wish to know where they live in Thailand, maybe it is different where they are... but I doubt. From my partner to all our Thai friends, and I personally ask them all out of curiosity, not a single one has not had the following reaction after hearing about the change: "f*** that!" Only the most conservatives in Thailand still support this government.

As for the mask, where I am only a handfull of Thais still wear it (and everywhere), pratically only people from BKK who finally came out of their masked BKK bubble.

3 hours ago, Manu said:

As for the mask, where I am only a handfull of Thais still wear it (and everywhere), pratically only people from BKK who finally came out of their masked BKK bubble.

Be interesting to know where you are then @Manu . Last year and up until November I travelled to many places in Thailand, from tourist hot spots to more rural places in Issan. I would estimate at least 80% of Thais were wearing masks when out and about. Seeing a Thai without a mask was rare and noticeable. Maybe it’s changed in the past 2 months? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Be interesting to know where you are then @Manu . Last year and up until November I travelled to many places in Thailand, from tourist hot spots to more rural places in Issan. I would estimate at least 80% of Thais were wearing masks when out and about. Seeing a Thai without a mask was rare and noticeable. Maybe it’s changed in the past 2 months? 

I am in Prachuap Khiri Khan right now. I guess more then 95% of the Thais are wearing masks ... On the motorbike, markets and on the streets ... EVERYWHERE!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Eddi said:

I am in Prachuap Khiri Khan right now. I guess more then 95% of the Thais are wearing masks ... On the motorbike, markets and on the streets ... EVERYWHERE!

They are in Udon Thani, Rayong, Roi-Etc Khon Kaen, Hua Hin. I visited all those places in the past 8 months and at least 80% of Thais were masked up. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Soidog said:

He's on Koh Chang and with it being an island I could see Thais being a bit more chill about it

My wife doesn't wear a mask here in Vancouver (she actually has Covid now)

And I was very surprised at how quickly she ditched it

Will be interesting at how fast she falls in line when she gets to Thailand next month 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Skip said:

Good... except that CCP vaccines have been proven to be ineffective... so two of them is twice as ineffective

Is the requirement two vaccines or two shots?  I thought it was two shots.  

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Will be interesting at how fast she falls in line when she gets to Thailand next month 

Ask her doctor. Mine basically said that (non-N95) masks were mostly superstition against Omicron and later variants.  We already had it before the shots were available so now have more risks for any new boosters than catching it again.  Myself, I don't mind seeing folks that do wear masks because there are good reasons to do it.  (Say like weak immune due to surgery or illness)

Edited by darius
better context