News Forum - VIDEO: Indian restaurant owner attacked for ‘stealing customers’ in Thailand

Thaiger

A Thai-born Indian man was attacked on Saturday after opening an Indian restaurant in close proximity to another Indian restaurant in Krabi province in southern Thailand. The victim, Wirent Tiwari, was welcoming customers into his restaurant when he was suddenly attacked by an Indian man. The attacker screamed “I’ll kill you! Then bury you in the ground!” as he slapped, punched, and pushed his fellow restaurant owner to the floor. Wirent is seeking justice after the attack left him terrified and in need of 10 stitches on his bust lip. He filed a police complaint at Ao Nang Police Station […]

The story VIDEO: Indian restaurant owner attacked for ‘stealing customers’ in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Pattaya city has allowed Indian restaurants to open next door to each other for years.  During pandemic even more restaurants south of Pattaya Tai on second road were opened .  Believe I counted 18 Indian restaurants in one 100 meter stretch of second road.  Walking home in the evening and night time, rarely anyone in them, assumed they must all be laundering money as they keep refurbishing and opening new ones even though not enough business in the existing ones to cover overhead.  Strange phenomena to me.  Hundreds of Indian restaurants in a city that has tough competition for any new restaurant is just absurd.  🤪 

• Like 2

Ao Nang is virtually now ruined by all the Indian businesses and tourists. So many suit taylor shops and Indian businesses that just is gross leaving no diversity and too many siut shop touts calling you boss. Covid was the culprit for them to swoop in and kill the area. I was there back in June with my kids coming from Phuket - Phi Phi - Ao Nang. Honestly it is a dung hole now and unless transitioning to another place I will never go back. Finished!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Pattaya city has allowed Indian restaurants to open next door to each other for years.  During pandemic even more restaurants south of Pattaya Tai on second road were opened .  Believe I counted 18 Indian restaurants in one 100 meter stretch of second road.  Walking home in the evening and night time, rarely anyone in them, assumed they must all be laundering money as they keep refurbishing and opening new ones even though not enough business in the existing ones to cover overhead.  Strange phenomena to me.  Hundreds of Indian restaurants in a city that has tough competition for any new restaurant is just absurd.  🤪 

A small one next to my hotel on soi 13/4.has a few customers but a continuous stream of delivery motorbikes picking up stuff.Maybe that's what keeps them going.

• Like 1

A Thai born Indian man attacked by an Indian man. Let me read that again…..  Oh I see now. The Indian man (foreign piece of sh*t they are) has attacked a Thai born (upstanding people that they are) Indian .  That’s absolutely dreadful.  This Indian guy needs to be arrested and deported for his behaviour. How dare he attack a Thai born Indian like that?  Thai born Indians are some of the nicest people you can meet. Far far nicer, cleaner, classier and friendlier than those Indians

Does anyone know if the person involved was a Thai born Indian or Thai born American Indian? Equally, are they Bangkok Thai born Indians or those lower class Issan Thai born Indians? These differences are important and 100% relevant to the story you see!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ExpatPattaya said:

In Manchester, there is an area known as the "Curry Mile", which has 70 such businesses. 

https://www.desiblitz.com/content/popular-restaurants-on-the-manchester-curry-mile#:~:text=With more than 70 restaurants,situated in the iconic location.

Brick Lane in London, had 60 but are now down to about 20. One possible explanation for this is that at one time, this became a no-go area for some white people. Gangs of Bengali youths would roam the streets and if they saw women who they didn't think was dressed modestly enough, they would chase them out of the area. People who were carrying plastic bags, were subject to search and if they were found with alcohol, it was emptied in front of them. Of course, they never had any problems with Muslim owned corner shops, or restos owned by Bangladeshis, selling alcohol, though their actions led to many restos  going out of business.

• Like 1

Very much INDIAN style ....

they steal business ideas like others collect stamps , regardless of consequences

they just freak out , if you do it to them

8 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Ao Nang is virtually now ruined by all the Indian businesses and tourists. So many suit taylor shops and Indian businesses that just is gross leaving no diversity and too many siut shop touts calling you boss. Covid was the culprit for them to swoop in and kill the area. I was there back in June with my kids coming from Phuket - Phi Phi - Ao Nang. Honestly it is a dung hole now and unless transitioning to another place I will never go back. Finished!

That is a shame. I love Ao Nang

10 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I agree. 5-10 years ago one of my favorite places but all these Indian owned businesses have really transformed this seaside community in a negative way.

• Like 1

Does not shed a good light on the police for not taking action. I suggest closing the attackers restaurant for 6 months and a fine/payment to the victim, for starters. 

3 hours ago, dj230 said:

should deport the attacker

Why? Why does a simple altercation justify deportation. Ruining the guys life and livelihood. The punishment should fit the crime and the default for any foreigner shouldn’t be deportation.

I’m sure most people on this forum come from a country where immigrants and even illegal immigrants commit crimes all the time. The cry of deportation doesn’t go out each time. It’s like us foreigners are trying to curry favour with the locals. The fight wasn’t a risk to national security or murder. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sparks said:

I agree. 5-10 years ago one of my favorite places but all these Indian owned businesses have really transformed this seaside community in a negative way.

Can't asgree with you more. It used to be a wonderful place and now it is little India and more commercial. Yuck!

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yeah me too before. The character of it fully changed.

I’m interested in this @HolyCowCm  I have only been to Ao Nang twice in the past. The first time was about 15 years ago, and the last time was a year ago when the country was just about opening up. I have to say, I didn’t notice this Indian influence at all. I did notice a couple of Indian restaurants, but beyond that I didn’t spot it. I had a fantastic time as everywhere was quiet but not empty. The beaches were clean and easy to move around town. I was thinking of going back in March, but you’ve made me think twice?? Are the amount of Indian Tailors shops and other businesses any worse than other major tourists places, or are you saying Ao Nang has now become like many other tourists spots?  

48 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I’m interested in this @HolyCowCm  I have only been to Ao Nang twice in the past. The first time was about 15 years ago, and the last time was a year ago when the country was just about opening up. I have to say, I didn’t notice this Indian influence at all. I did notice a couple of Indian restaurants, but beyond that I didn’t spot it. I had a fantastic time as everywhere was quiet but not empty. The beaches were clean and easy to move around town. I was thinking of going back in March, but you’ve made me think twice?? Are the amount of Indian Tailors shops and other businesses any worse than other major tourists places, or are you saying Ao Nang has now become like many other tourists spots?  

I went in June and it could have also had something to do with the high season of Indian tourists everywhere as well making it over the top, but honestly the influence has definetely taken grasp there in so many shops of all type. just need to walk up and down the street and peer into the shops and who is running them, then toss in all the Indian tourists and the feeling surrounds you. For me i never thought i would be called Boss twice walking down the street trying to sell me a suit on what used to be beautiful Ao Nang. Hopefully other psoters can chime in if they recenly have been there. I am looking to do a google map street view drive to see if you can catch the feelling that way too.

25 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I went in June and it could have also had something to do with the high season of Indian tourists everywhere as well making it over the top, but honestly the influence has definetely taken grasp there in so many shops of all type. just need to walk up and down the street and peer into the shops and who is running them, then toss in all the Indian tourists and the feeling surrounds you. For me i never thought i would be called Boss twice walking down the street trying to sell me a suit on what used to be beautiful Ao Nang. Hopefully other psoters can chime in if they recenly have been there. I am looking to do a google map street view drive to see if you can catch the feelling that way too.

Cheers. Appreciate the feedback. I may still go and feedback on what I thought after the visit. 👍🏻

Just now, Soidog said:

Cheers. Appreciate the feedback. I may still go and feedback on what I thought after the visit. 👍🏻

Ao Nang is still a good point area to catch a boat to an island, so it still can be ok but it is not a place you would think to plan to go there and stay for several days. Overnight is enough. The scenery looking out over the water is still awesome nice, but not so much more going for it now. One of my fondest memories of Ao Nang was my first trip there well over 30 plus years ago. The place a magical and I will cherish that memory for ever.

• Like 1