News Forum - New York approves composting of human bodies

Thaiger

New York is the latest US State to approve human composting as an environmentally-friendly alternative to traditional ways of dealing with human remains such as burial and cremation. Human composting, also known as “natural organic reduction,” is a process that turns a human body into soil after death. The body gradually decomposes over several weeks inside a vessel with woodchips, alfalfa, and straw grass in special over-ground facilities. After the body has fully decomposed and undergone a heating process to kill bacteria, the resulting soil is given back to the deceased’s loved ones who may use it to plant flowers, […]

The story New York approves composting of human bodies as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Human composting, also known as “natural organic reduction,” is a process that turns a human body into soil after death. The body gradually decomposes over several weeks inside a vessel with woodchips, alfalfa, and straw grass in special over-ground facilities.

The process of decomposing the weak materials may be sped up by a small factor with due care, but who cares about that? Also, it'd still take ages for parts like bones, nails and teeth to break down naturally. To get results within a couple of weeks, you'd need e.g. a grinder to turn the skeleton into dust.

That's fine (grinding is probably more environmentally friendly than torching), but it's hardly natural. Still, grind away. But why a $7000 price tag for passively letting nature do the majority of the job? Surely, finding some woodchips, alfalfa, straw grass and a "special" facility (aka a compost heap with a name-tag) and shoving the reluctant bits into a grinder can't warrant that price?

6 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

That's fine (grinding is probably more environmentally friendly than torching), but it's hardly natural. Still, grind away. But why a $7000 price tag for passively letting nature do the majority of the job? Surely, finding some woodchips, alfalfa, straw grass and a "special" facility (aka a compost heap with a name-tag) and shoving the reluctant bits into a grinder can't warrant that price?

I tend to think that any 'grinding' takes place at the beginning of the process otherwise composting would take much longer.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

I tend to think that any 'grinding' takes place at the beginning of the process otherwise composting would take much longer.

A body decomposes within a month or so under normal conditions. A skeleton weighs about 15% of a human body. Dehydrate it first and it may even be less. Why grind first and waste energy on 85% excess that would have soon liquefied anyways?

12 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

A body decomposes within a month or so under normal conditions. A skeleton weighs about 15% of a human body. Dehydrate it first and it may even be less. Why grind first and waste energy on 85% excess that would have soon liquefied anyways?

I bow to your superior knowledge of 'soylent green' production.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Thaiger said:

After the body has fully decomposed and undergone a heating process to kill bacteria, the resulting soil is given back to the deceased’s loved ones who may use it to plant flowers

or holy basil ..

I'd be afraid of cats using me as a toilet .. 

• Haha 1

Me- "if I die, I don't care if you throw me in a dumpster"

Wife.........after a long pause  "But maybe they think I kill you and not get the insurance" 5555

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

This is great news. I have a list of people I’d like composting. Do they have to be dead first? 

7 hours ago, Chatogaster said:

I am reminded of the former Liberal MP, Eric (later Lord) Lubbock that stated in his will, that he wanted to cut up and fed to the dogs at Battersea Dogs Home. Battersea refused the bequest.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Me- "if I die, I don't care if you throw me in a dumpster"

Wife.........after a long pause  "But maybe they think I kill you and not get the insurance" 5555

Ao isn't silly .... 🤑

• Haha 1

I guess if they used the composted body in their vegetable garden it would bring a whole new meaning to having mom and dad for dinner tonight.