News Forum - Tourists pump 6 billion baht into Phuket’s economy during new year

Thaiger

Tourists pumped over 6 billion baht into the economy of Phuket in southern Thailand over the four-day new year holiday, according to Director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Nantasiri Ronasiri. Today, TAT director Nantasiri revealed that between December 30 to January 2, accommodation in Phuket was booked up at 77% of capacity. During these four days and three nights, Phuket International Airport welcomed 200 international flights on 38 airlines carrying 43,075 travellers – or an average of 50 flights and 10,769 people per day. A total of 247 domestic flights brought 36,047 tourists to Phuket over the new […]

The story Tourists pump 6 billion baht into Phuket’s economy during new year as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Whoopee! What is it with Thailand and this total obsession with quoting tourist numbers and money earned? At least it proves we are seen and regarded as nothing more than a commodity.

I never hear how much money the U.K. makes from tourists unless I google it. (41 million in 2019 and $51.2 Bn).  The U.K. is 5th in the world for tourism behind Thailand in 4th and it’s hardly mentioned in the media. I guess it’s partly because it contributes 2% of GDP compared to 12% for Thailand.