News Forum - Police arrest two Russians for begging on the streets of southern Thailand

Thaiger

Thai police arrested two Russian men yesterday for begging on the streets of Surat Thani in southern Thailand. The men held signs saying they are fleeing war in Russia. Surat Thani Immigration officers, tourist police officers, and officials from the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security jointly arrested 36 year old Evgenii Malakhov and 32 year old Alexander Kulikov at the Glowing Garden Fair near the Naris Bridge. Both men were arrested under suspicion of, “being an alien allowed to stay in the kingdom temporarily illegally begging at Naris Bridge, Talat subdistrict, Mueang Surat Thani district.” Malakhov and Kulikov […]

The story Police arrest two Russians for begging on the streets of southern Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Even though busking and panhandling by foreingers is extremely ugly and cringe worthy, Thailand should just mellow out and leave these guys alone. They have a legitimate claim to needing money. Maybe they should be allowed to go volunteer at a temple until Putin kicks the bucket and the war ends.

• Like 1

Please contact Putin immediately. He needs them to replace the shortage at the war front as just he has lost about 400 of his trusted men due to handphone frequency...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Even though busking and panhandling by foreingers is extremely ugly and cringe worthy, Thailand should just mellow out and leave these guys alone. They have a legitimate claim to needing money. Maybe they should be allowed to go volunteer at a temple until Putin kicks the bucket and the war ends.

No they don't. There is no draft in Russia. It is a good excuse for some Russian hippie scrubs though

7 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Please contact Putin immediately. He needs them to replace the shortage at the war front as just he has lost about 400 of his trusted men due to handphone frequency...

Ppl will literally believe anything about this war. Its rather cringe to witness 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, socal said:

No they don't. There is no draft in Russia. It is a good excuse for some Russian hippie scrubs though

Let's call it a different name: Putin's pychotic soldier grab of conscripts or inactive soliders. And so once in the military for their service term, aren't they always part of that military and can be called back in however Puitn makes it happen? I know for one in Thailand, even though my son was in like a military high school ROTC, afterwaqrds he then become inactive until age 45.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Agreed. My country has thousands of foreigners busking and begging for money. Poverty knows no boundaries. Why are they arresting foreigners and not the Thais at the bottom of BTS stations in Bangkok? I do hope this isn’t discrimination! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Agreed. My country has thousands of foreigners busking and begging for money. Poverty knows no boundaries. Why are they arresting foreigners and not the Thais at the bottom of BTS stations in Bangkok? I do hope this isn’t discrimination! 

Yes and no, but they really will say it is a work thing and this is saved for Thai people to busk and beg.,\

17 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yes and no, but they really will say it is a work thing and this is saved for Thai people to busk and beg.,\

Oh yes of course. I forgot about the fact that even helping a friend move house is seen as work and hence illegal in this developing nation. 

Short true story. A friend of mine in Udon has a hotel/restaurant/bar. His long term friend visits him once a year and usually stays for a month. Inevitably he eats most breakfast at the restaurant. Being a friend and when things got a little busy and sat around with little to do, the guy would occasionally pick up a few coffee cups and take them to the serving hatch. Someone reported it and he was fined 2,000 baht and ticked off. When I say “fined” I mean offered the option of paying 2,000 baht to make the problem go away.  I often wonder if you could be fined for taking your tray of rubbish to the bin in KFC or McDonalds?  It’s work after all that they should be employing a Thai to do!!! 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Oh yes of course. I forgot about the fact that even helping a friend move house is seen as work and hence illegal in this developing nation. 

Short true story. A friend of mine in Udon has a hotel/restaurant/bar. His long term friend visits him once a year and usually stays for a month. Inevitably he eats most breakfast at the restaurant. Being a friend and when things got a little busy and sat around with little to do, the guy would occasionally pick up a few coffee cups and take them to the serving hatch. Someone reported it and he was fined 2,000 baht and ticked off. When I say “fined” I mean offered the option of paying 2,000 baht to make the problem go away.  I often wonder if you could be fined for taking your tray of rubbish to the bin in KFC or McDonalds?  It’s work after all that they should be employing a Thai to do!!! 

And you cannot make this stuff up. Just wonder if the tattletale got 50% of the keep.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HolyCowCm said:

And you cannot make this stuff up. Just wonder if the tattletale got 50% of the keep.

Well my mate thinks it was an off duty cop going around looking for these things and then made the rounds in uniform the next day. A bar along the road owned by some Aussie guy was also targeted as he was seen serving some beers. Not sure what they got from him.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Soidog said:

lol there was this old farang once who got into trouble for benevolently painting an old fence somewhere in Isaan.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Well my mate thinks it was an off duty cop going around looking for these things and then made the rounds in uniform the next day. A bar along the road owned by some Aussie guy was also targeted as he was seen serving some beers. Not sure what they got from him.  

Nothing surprises me. Heard stories before of the same nature.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

If it was any of the Aussies I know in Udon then the only thing they would get is a fat lip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1