News Forum - Indian tourists cancel Thailand trips after govt impose Covid test

Thaiger

The Thai Hotels Association last night reported that tourists from India are cancelling trips to Thailand in their droves after their government insisted that returning travellers produce a negative Covid-19 test before reentering the country. The new mandate has come as a shock to Indian holidaymakers as the rest of the world contemplates what to do with returning Chinese tourists. China announced last month it is reopening its borders to foreign travellers on Sunday, January 8 and scrapping quarantine rules. Thai Hotels Association Eastern Chapter President Sanphet Supbowornsathian revealed the Indian government’s decision to produce negative RT-PCR tests has left […]

The story Indian tourists cancel Thailand trips after govt impose Covid test as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Please don't cancel your vacation that you have been planning for years to enjoy your precious moments. As it is mandatory to every country to protect their borders from unnecessary invasion of new variants of Covid virus. It is ok to be disappointed. However when there is a will there is always a way to enjoy your vacation. Just divert to Malaysia. Our bar attendants will not slap customers, our taxi drivers do not carry weapons or base ball bats, our roads don't have drinking driving accidents, further more each person here speaks 3 language easily. It is more safe and peaceful country with multi racial ethnicity with more tolerant people. I bet you can have a memorable vacation holiday 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Please don't cancel your vacation that you have been planning for years to enjoy your precious moments. As it is mandatory to every country to protect their borders from unnecessary invasion of new variants of Covid virus. It is ok to be disappointed. However when there is a will there is always a way to enjoy your vacation. Just divert to Malaysia. Our bar attendants will not slap customers, our taxi drivers do not carry weapons or base ball bats, our roads don't have drinking driving accidents, further more each person here speaks 3 language easily. It is more safe and peaceful country with multi racial ethnicity with more tolerant people. I bet you can have a memorable vacation holiday 

Rofl. Unnecessary and draconian measures ARE what causes people to cancel their holidays.

No one wants to suffer from a sore nose or potentially (however small the chance is) a serious injury due to the way they insert these swabs almost up to the brain stem.

Not to mention these tests are expensive, inconvenient and anything but relaxing.

Indians are right to cancel their holidays to Thailand until their government lifts this completely unnecessary measure.

I've delayed my planned trip to India for this reason. Once the Indian government comes to its senses, I'll reconsider going.

1 hour ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Most other countries have no restrictions in place, so why bother visiting Thailand?

Indians can visit Malaysia as you suggest or Vietnam, Cambodia or Laos. Or Sri Lanka. Plenty of choices where these requirements don't apply to.

• Like 1

Boo Hoo. Take the risk and have some fun or don't, but India is being proactive of the Chinese CCP Wuflu about  to be spattered all over Thailand and infecting their people who are Holidaying here. Expect  thsi to be the normw for all countries to follow who don't cater to the CCP.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Just divert to Malaysia. Our bar attendants will not slap customers, our taxi drivers do not carry weapons or base ball bats, our roads don't have drinking driving accidents, further more each person here speaks 3 language easily. It is more safe and peaceful country with multi racial ethnicity with more tolerant people. I bet you can have a memorable vacation holiday 

I’d have to support your suggestion there. I do think Malaysia could and should do more to attract tourists. Pre Covid it had around 26 million tourists compared to Thailands 39 million.

I love visiting Malaysia. Kuala Lumpur is one of my favourite Asian cities. It’s clean, vibrant and safe. Hotels are some of the cheapest in Asia and excellent quality. The Shangri-La KL is almost half the price of the Shangri-La in Bangkok and just as good. Choice of food and food hygiene is excellent. The transport system and taxi service is as good as any major city and English is spoken by almost everyone. It’s only drawback for some is that alcohol is more expensive and wild party zones aren’t to be found easily. For me, this makes it a perfect weekend destination while I’m in Thailand. In addition it has fantastic beaches to rival Thailand. Places like Pangkor and Langkawi are paradise places. The colonial architecture gives it a certain style best displayed in places like Penang. They also drive on the correct side of the road!!   

I think for many western tourists, one of the issues is that it is a predominantly Muslim country and for many, that carries negative connotations that they can’t get past.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

I’d have to support your suggestion there. I do think Malaysia could and should do more to attract tourists. Pre Covid it had around 26 million tourists compared to Thailands 39 million.

I love visiting Malaysia. Kuala Lumpur is one of my favourite Asian cities. It’s clean, vibrant and safe. Hotels are some of the cheapest in Asia and excellent quality. The Shangri-La KL is almost half the price of the Shangri-La in Bangkok and just as good. Choice of food and food hygiene is excellent. The transport system and taxi service is as good as any major city and English is spoken by almost everyone. It’s only drawback for some is that alcohol is more expensive and wild party zones aren’t to be found easily. For me, this makes it a perfect weekend destination while I’m in Thailand. In addition it has fantastic beaches to rival Thailand. Places like Pangkor and Langkawi are paradise places. The colonial architecture gives it a certain style best displayed in places like Penang. They also drive on the correct side of the road!!   

I think for many western tourists, one of the issues is that it is a predominantly Muslim country and for many, that carries negative connotations that they can’t get past.   

Drop me a note if you are riding to Malaysia. I am happy to take you around...

7 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Drop me a note if you are riding to Malaysia. I am happy to take you around...

Cheers. I may well take you up on that. One thing I would ask. When are you going to get the Formula 1 back at Sepang? You could get a 3 day Pit straight pass for around $140 total. You’d be lucky to get a one day practice session 2 miles from the Pitt’s at Silverstone in the U.K. for that price.  Transport to the track was also great, although like most sports venues, a pain to get away from.

Thanks again 👍🏻 

3 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Cheers. I may well take you up on that. One thing I would ask. When are you going to get the Formula 1 back at Sepang? You could get a 3 day Pit straight pass for around $140 total. You’d be lucky to get a one day practice session 2 miles from the Pitt’s at Silverstone in the U.K. for that price.  Transport to the track was also great, although like most sports venues, a pain to get away from.

Thanks again 👍🏻 

Not in the near future as the new government is mainly focusing on the current economical situation of the people. However if you want to ride then the circuit is open for riders to test their skills. But Formula 1.....not now....It might take some time 

7 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Not in the near future as the new government is mainly focusing on the current economical situation of the people. However if you want to ride then the circuit is open for riders to test their skills. But Formula 1.....not now....It might take some time 

Yea I see it used for other types of motor racing. Formula 1 for me I’m afraid. Let’s hope it’s back soon. I thought it was a fantastic advertisement for Malaysia. A fantastic place to visit and would highly recommend it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

I mean I also love Malaysia but I probably wouldn't go there often if I could stay in Thailand indefinitely. I suspect a decent portion of the 26 million tourists visit as a side trip when holidaying to either Thailand or Indonesia.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Highlandman said:

Rofl. Unnecessary and draconian measures ARE what causes people to cancel their holidays.

No one wants to suffer from a sore nose or potentially (however small the chance is) a serious injury due to the way they insert these swabs almost up to the brain stem.

Not to mention these tests are expensive, inconvenient and anything but relaxing.

Indians are right to cancel their holidays to Thailand until their government lifts this completely unnecessary measure.

I've delayed my planned trip to India for this reason. Once the Indian government comes to its senses, I'll reconsider going.

I'm afraid that you and I will have to dsagree on this one. 

When Omicron was first detected and became the prevalent strain in the Indian sub-continent, the UK gave the people of this region 96 hours to return to the UK, or they would have to go into quarantine hotels at £200 per nigh for 10 (or maybe 14 days). Before they were allowed to clear border controls, they were required to produce a negative test from an Indian Clinic. India is famed for medical corruption. 

So there were thousands of people allowed entry on the back of certificates issued in India. That raises the question of how many of these people were actually tested, and then issued with falsfied certs even if they failed the test. Within days, Omicron was breaking out in large numbers in the UK, initially in areas with large Indian populations, and then everywhere. 

Quite apart from the questionable certs issued in India, I think that TH had the right response, of demanding a pre-flight test, then a test on arrival and a further test 5 days in. 

BTW. the brainstem is located at the back of the head to the spinal column. Nt much chance of a swab reaching that location.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wackamole said:

I mean I also love Malaysia but I probably wouldn't go there often if I could stay in Thailand indefinitely. I suspect a decent portion of the 26 million tourists visit as a side trip when holidaying to either Thailand or Indonesia.

Think it depends what you are looking for. I find Malaysia more accepting of foreigners beyond tolerating you. I never feel like an outsider in Malaysia. Many nationalities live and work there and English being more widely spoken means they interact more with people. 

4 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Think it depends what you are looking for. I find Malaysia more accepting of foreigners beyond tolerating you. I never feel like an outsider in Malaysia. Many nationalities live and work there and English being more widely spoken means they interact more with people. 

I agree with you completely. But Thailand offers more fun and more services to tourists and has a stronger identity.

In my case I find that Malaysia does not feel like a different planet from a European country (which I'm trying to stay away from), accommodation is quite inferior to what you get in Thailand for the same price, and you don't have the same freedoms/convenience.

7 hours ago, Wackamole said:

accommodation is quite inferior to what you get in Thailand for the same price,

Agree with much of what you say, but definitely not this. I find hotels in Malaysia to be much much cheaper and just as good. As I mentioned, the Shangri-la hotel in KL is half the price of Bangkok and just as good. 

LeMeridian hotel in Bangkok is £167/night in Jan and in KL is £96. Both great hotels but massive price difference 

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Agree with much of what you say, but definitely not this. I find hotels in Malaysia to be much much cheaper and just as good. As I mentioned, the Shangri-la hotel in KL is half the price of Bangkok and just as good. 

LeMeridian hotel in Bangkok is £167/night in Jan and in KL is £96. Both great hotels but massive price difference 

I would personally say that although Shangri-La KL was nice, Shanrgi-La Bangkok is way nicer

To be honest, I felt Bangkok facilities such as hotels, restaurants, etc to be way nicer than most things in KL

9 hours ago, Soidog said:

One of the coolest things I have seen in all my travels is eating breakfast in Shangri-La KL and seeing all the different nationalities all around you

Was pretty cool

• Like 1

A PRC test to return is ridiculous.  I had to deal with this one year ago.   You spend half a day while on vacation dealing with a test.   It's a PITA.   

6 hours ago, Soidog said:

Well I had no idea and I find that fascinating because the 15-20 dollars/night places are vastly superior in Thailand. In Malaysia these types of rooms have always given me a bit of an adventure feel, not of the pleasant kind. The room will be very small with weird proportions and arrangement, not especially clean and everything in the room is brown and looks old and worn, you're lucky if it has a window you can open and it certainly doesn't have a balcony, bathroom is most unwelcoming.. last but not least there's a good chance you'll just get a fan, no aircon.

Whereas in Thailand they mostly feel impeccable. The main reason behind this wide gap, I guess, is there are little of these lower budget places that have been purpose-built in Malaysia.

Edited by Wackamole
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wackamole said:

Well I had no idea and I find that fascinating because the 15-20 dollars/night places are vastly superior in Thailand. In Malaysia these types of rooms have always given me a bit of an adventure feel, not of the pleasant kind. The room will be very small with weird proportions and arrangement, not especially clean and everything in the room is brown and looks old and worn, you're lucky if it has a window you can open and it certainly doesn't have a balcony, bathroom is most unwelcoming.. last but not least there's a good chance you'll just get a fan, no aircon.

Whereas in Thailand they mostly feel impeccable. The main reason behind this wide gap, I guess, is there are little of these lower budget places that have been purpose-built in Malaysia.

I initially stayed at the 4 star Crowne Plaza in KL

And it was so far behind the standards of what I would consider a 4 star hotel I left and went to the Shangri-la so paid for both hotels for 3 nights

And you are 100% correct about Thailand cheaper hotels

I'm more of a 5 star hotel guy buy the quality of the moderate to lower end hotels we've stated in can't be matches anywhere else I've been

• Like 1