News Forum - Speaker warns of likely mass election corruption

Thaiger

Thailand’s House Speaker Chuan Leekpai warned that the country can expect to see mass corruption in the upcoming general election. He said on Sunday that money will be a powerful influence in this year’s election and vote-buying will be rampant. To support his claim, Chuan points to the amount of campaigning that has been going on in the southern provinces of Thailand lately. Candidates have rallied there and focused on the region despite it having a relatively small amount of House seats to be won compared to other areas like the Northwest. While their seats may be few, they are […]

The story Speaker warns of likely mass election corruption as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Discussing this very subject with Isaan friends recently I was told that Anutin splashed the cash around in competition with Taksin's PT people.  I asked what's to stop them taking, say 500bt, from both sides ... and the answer was simple.  Most village folk are honest and will only take cash from the party they'll vote for.  Apparently the village chief or pooyaiban, do not permit double-dipping anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

shame the politicians aren't as honest as the majority of the country. Maybe a few high level MP's arrested for vote rigging might work...... but I some how doubt it

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, gazmo16 said:

shame the politicians aren't as honest as the majority of the country. Maybe a few high level MP's arrested for vote rigging might work...... but I some how doubt it

No one but the brown paper bag delivery men know all the pooyaiban's who were paid and how much though I'd take a bet PT has the inside running.  Not so many Isaan folk like Anutin.

• Like 2

Years ago it was 300 per person up north of CM city. 

Article Quote: That said, Chuan condemned the current government and the constitution they instituted. He says that corruption in Thailand is rising, despite the constitution’s pledge to eliminate it. The House Speaker also expressed his worry that the rampant corruption and money in politics will lead to another military coup in the near future.

Hard to make full heads or tails out of his statement, but makes me wonder if he has heard a little bird on a branch chirping about what is going to happen.

• Like 2

These media outlets should store these articles for future generations. They can easily republish them in 50 years time and just change the date. Perhaps they’ve already done that and this article is from the 1970’s with names and dates changed. Maybe that’s how news media get their stories out so quickly nowadays!