Stanford University Harmful Language...

Faraday

Stanford University has released a 20 page document about 'harmful language'.

Good move, yep, there are certain words that have been used in the past - not going to mention them😁, that are offensive, harmful even. 

However, some of them from:

'The Elimination of Harmful Language Initiative'

are in my opinion, a bit extreme. 

Here's some examples from the link below:

IMG_20230102_072442.thumb.png.4236c26e6fd00b8df4e3a6feaacace13.png

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11558067/Woke-Stanford-University-publishes-list-harmful-language-want-eliminate.html

IMG_20230102_072515.thumb.png.b6e409caaadb2bd2a4debdd254dd8784.png

Just got to add this one from the L.A.Times, because I worry. 🤓

Bit cold at the moment, up here in Isaan, so got the socks on.

Black ones. 😱

According to Stanford, I mustn't use the word 'black'.

So what should I call my socks, then?

IMG_20230102_073010.thumb.png.82b0b7a18b8fdc66d1ede2b6e9189aee.png

https://www.lamag.com/culturefiles/stanford-releases-harmful-language-list-of-hurtful-words-to-eliminate/

I actually got the "American " one from a few Canadians when I first moved here

I honestly didn't know that was a thing 

But we Americans can be insular  5555

• Like 1

What a load of crap these people come out with.

USA becomes USNA ... haha

Black becomes what ... nugget/obsidian/graphite?  Ban the use of black paint and typeface?

An anti PC revolution is needed before it gets out of hand.

• Like 2

A movie from 2013 called Lone Survivor...

Seems like Survivor is also a banned word.

From now on, it must be called:

"Lone Person who has been impacted by"

Doesn't quite sound so exciting now, does it.🤓

https://www.ndtv.com/feature/stanford-university-releases-harmful-language-list-it-includes-words-like-american-and-survivor-3636582

Brace yourself.

You are no longer allowed to use the word pedophile.

We should use the term "Minor attracted individual".

World has gone mad. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

What a load of crap these people come out with.

USA becomes USNA ... haha

Black becomes what ... nugget/obsidian/graphite?  Ban the use of black paint and typeface?

An anti PC revolution is needed before it gets out of hand.

I think a lot of it is absurd 

But I don't think the "black" exclusion is as absurd as it seems

At least vs many of the others ones

I mean if you are black and the term is constantly added to mean something negative

That does matter 

Take another one

"Grandfathered in"

It literally has it's origin from racist policies 

So we use a term that was originated to disenfranchise black voters 

The fact we just adopted that into eveye day language is sort of offensive just in itself 

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

But I don't think the "black" exclusion is as absurd as it seems

At least vs many of the others ones

I mean if you are black and the term is constantly added to mean something negative

It's a description, a 'shade'.  Technically not a 'colour'.  Therefore negro's could be termed as being 'shaded' (or shady?) instead of black-skinned.... gets very stupid doesn't it.

Should also ban the use of 'coffee' coz that's the colour of our wives and mine is proud of it!  🙂

From Wiki:-

In the English language, negro is a term historically used to denote persons considered to be of Black African heritage. The word negro means the color black in both Spanish and in Portuguese, where English took it from.[1] The term can be construed as offensive, inoffensive, or completely neutral, largely depending on the region or country where it is used, as well as the context in which it is applied. It has various equivalents in other languages of Europe.

20 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

It's a description, a 'shade'.  Technically not a 'colour'.  Therefore negro's could be termed as being 'shaded' (or shady?) instead of black-skinned.... gets very stupid doesn't it.

Should also ban the use of 'coffee' coz that's the colour of our wives and mine is proud of it!  🙂

From Wiki:-

You guys rightfully bemoan some of this silliness than add your own silliness to it all

I know mostly in jest but no one is saying you are "coffeed balled"    😀

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

If you are 'white' in this mad world, it now means something negative to many.

By the way, I'm not 'white', I'm pink, with a touch of suntan.  I've never actually seen a totally  'white' person, I've seen off white, pink, greyish, and on the beach, burnt red,  but never pure white. 

People and institutions just need to calm the f... down and stop seeing problems, discrimination, or acknowledging sensitivities,  where there isn't any. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

By the way, I'm not 'white', I'm pink, with a touch of suntan.  I've never actually seen a totally  'white' person, I've seen off white, pink, greyish, and on the beach, burnt red,  but never pure white. 

People and institutions just need to calm the f... down and stop seeing problems, discrimination, or acknowledging sensitivities,  where there isn't any. 

Being Scottish it takes me two days in the sun to become white.

I start out pale blue.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Being Scottish it takes me two days in the sun to become white.

I start out pale blue.

Same for me as a Yorkshire man. 

27 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I've never actually seen a totally  'white' person, I've seen off white, pink, greyish, and on the beach, burnt red,  but never pure white. 

I've seen more than a few Chinese girls who were almost pure white.  And a few white whales sunbathing in Hyde Park on a sunny summers day, mind you they soon turned pink.

Marc26 has used 'old white guys' to describe us, should he therefore be banned for using a derogatory term? 🤣

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Pinetree said:

I don't believe there should be a "list"

But I'm ok with taking things out of our language

Like the term "Grandfathered in"

Now I had no idea and I doubt many know it's origins

So don't think many are offended by it 

Buy does that mean we should really use a term that started to make sure certain whites could vote while making sure blacks couldn't?

As I said, come of the suggestions are just blame absurd

But some have a bit of merit

Don't put it on any list

Just as an organization don't use it and see if it naturally gets replaced

13 hours ago, Pinetree said:

So many Whites feel this and in reality your perceived negativity isn't 1/1000 what blacks would face 

Well in North America, I can't speak for anywhere else

Now I think it's an overreach to ban the term "black" in an example of "blackmail" or "blackballed" because the origins aren't racist

But if you feel being white is looked on negatively in this mad world

I guess you should probably have a but of empathy if a black person is a bit sensitive that the term to describe them is also used to describe many negative aspects in life 

I'm just playing devil's advocate because I think this list is absurd as well

• 3 months later...

This world is going crazy with the fear of offending a few snowflakes (oops, sorry I may have offended someone with that description). I'm sure some person of a description I am not allowed to use in this forum (starts with a w and ends with e and has a k in there somewhere, sorry, probably offended someone else) will correct me regarding my indiscretion. The fact that I cannot use this word to describe a type of person that has no racial, religious or societal boundaries reinforces my point.

Seriously though, at the end of the day I think that we are all smart enough and civil enough to know what is actually offensive in each situation and should be expected to behave accordingly. If people go through their formative years without being offended or challenged by difficulties created by living in the REAL WORLD they will be in for a big shock and ultimate failure.

The world is a big, sometimes scary place. But it is also an amazing and beautiful place that offers amazing experiences and opportunities. Without challenges in life the good times can never be fully appreciated.

Please allow people to gain resilience so they can prosper in this amazing place we call planet earth.

2 hours ago, Mazz11 said:

This world is going crazy with the fear of offending a few snowflakes (oops, sorry I may have offended someone with that description). I'm sure some person of a description I am not allowed to use in this forum (starts with a w and ends with e and has a k in there somewhere, sorry, probably offended someone else) will correct me regarding my indiscretion. The fact that I cannot use this word to describe a type of person that has no racial, religious or societal boundaries reinforces my point.

Seriously though, at the end of the day I think that we are all smart enough and civil enough to know what is actually offensive in each situation and should be expected to behave accordingly. If people go through their formative years without being offended or challenged by difficulties created by living in the REAL WORLD they will be in for a big shock and ultimate failure.

The world is a big, sometimes scary place. But it is also an amazing and beautiful place that offers amazing experiences and opportunities. Without challenges in life the good times can never be fully appreciated.

Please allow people to gain resilience so they can prosper in this amazing place we call planet earth.

I agree with you 100%

I just can't take grown adults serious when they parrot words like "snowflakes" and W**E

You guys sound like teenage boys trolls

Be original at least 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 9:30 AM, Marc26 said:

I agree with you 100%

I just can't take grown adults serious when they parrot words like "snowflakes" and W**E

You guys sound like teenage boys trolls

Be original at least 

Interesting comment regarding the use of words like 'snowflake' when you used it yourself in reply to another forum member in the thread 'Nearly 2/3 Thais tired of Wearing Masks'.

Your reply included this comment

'Nah 

I'm just not a right wing snowflake where wearing a mask for 20mins turns me into an infant with a tantrum'

Now, while I agree with your comments in that discussion 100%, I think that the term 'Pot calling the kettle black' would be appropriate except that we are back using a term that may be seen as derogatory to a group of people from certain ethnic backgrounds and may offend someone 🤣   

7 hours ago, Mazz11 said:

Interesting comment regarding the use of words like 'snowflake' when you used it yourself in reply to another forum member in the thread 'Nearly 2/3 Thais tired of Wearing Masks'.

'Nah 

I'm just not a right wing snowflake where wearing a mask for 20mins turns me into an infant with a tantrum'

Now, while I agree with your comments in that discussion 100%, I think that the term 'Pot calling the kettle black' would be appropriate except that we are back using a term that may be seen as derogatory to a group of people from certain ethnic backgrounds and may offend someone 🤣   

Go to a dictionary and look up the word "sarcasm"

You learned something today

You are welcome.   😀

8 hours ago, Mazz11 said:

'Nah 

I should have added to my quote

I should have put it as "snowflake" to stress my sarcasm

But it was a good catch by you   :)

• Like 1