News Forum - 37 deaths & 351 injuries reported on day 1 of Thailand’s road safety campaign

Thaiger

Day one of Thailand’s road safety campaign, Seven-day Dangerous (7 วัน อันตราย), does not appear to have made any difference as 37 deaths and 351 injuries were recorded. Speeding and drunk driving were the primary causes of most accidents. The road safety campaign to reduce the number of road accidents during the new year holiday began in earnest yesterday and will go on until January 4, traditionally a time when Thai people travel to their home provinces to meet their families. The Highway Police Division reported yesterday that they had already issued over 110,000 traffic tickets against the speeding driver […]

The story 37 deaths & 351 injuries reported on day 1 of Thailand’s road safety campaign as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I was always under the impression there are about 60 road deaths daily?

If only 37 deaths on the first day, is this perhaps some of the drivers had drunk themselves unconscious during this festive time?

• Haha 1

80%  motorcycle involvement. As expected. I can see why the rural Thais have them, and to an extent, the urbanites, taxis etc, but the others are a mystery to me.

About 22,000 people die each year in Thailand in road traffic accidents, one of the worst death rates in the world. The week over the new year, known locally as the “seven dangerous days”, has the biggest spike as people speed around the country.

Last year, 333 people died and 2,672 were injured between 29 December and 4 January. So far in 2022, 14,501 people have died and 917,144 have been injured on the roads.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/29/thai-police-offer-cash-prizes-for-videos-of-worst-road-accidents-in-safety-campaign#:~:text=So far in 2022%2C 14%2C501,been injured on the roads.

• Like 2

Well, just like any other day. It is 365 days dangerous on Thai roads. 110000 traffic tickets. So what? Who actually is going to pay them? 80% involved were motorcyclist. That is what they want us to believe. The latest research, an american one, said that Thailand is the second most dangerous country worldwide and by far pick -ups caused most casualties.

The other day I asked a student of mine what she thinks will happen first: Nuklear war or Thais learn how to drive a vehicle and follow traffic rules. Her answer: Nuklear war.

It will never change in LOS. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Speeding and drunk driving were the primary causes of most accidents.

blimey who'd have thought that .. 

the reoccurring Perennial affliction of death by motorised vehicle .. for as long as I've been doing Thailand they wring hands and chomp thereselves about bringing down a death toll that would not look out of place in a warzone .. apart from the slogans like " 7 deadly days " ..

why not try " Lao khao will get you and your scooter to the afterlife quicker " .. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

blimey who'd have thought that .. 

the reoccurring Perennial affliction of death by motorised vehicle .. for as long as I've been doing Thailand they wring hands and chomp thereselves about bringing down a death toll that would not look out of place in a warzone .. apart from the slogans like " 7 deadly days " ..

why not try " Lao khao will get you and your scooter to the afterlife quicker " .. 

Just not sure if you're suggesting drinking it or putting it in the fuel tank for that fast trip to the afterlife?

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Day one of Thailand’s road safety campaign, Seven-day Dangerous (7 วัน อันตราย), does not appear to have made any difference as 37 deaths and 351 injuries were recorded.

It's just a short opening paragraph and already a fact is postulated that isn't backed up:

"Day 1 [...] does not appear to have made any difference as [no reason provided, just the numbers for day 1 2022]"

Historical data is easily retrieved (*): day 1 (Dec 29) of this year had 37 deaths and 351 injuries. Last year day 1 had 51 deaths and 430 injuries and the year before that 52 deaths and 550 injuries. I checked back until 2016 and day 1 of this year remains significantly different, in a positive way (whether or not that's all thanks to the current campaign is another thing, but it's sufficient to be skeptical of the claim made in the article).

(*) http://roadsafety.disaster.go.th/inner.roadsafety-1.196/download/menu_7090/2840.1/

1 hour ago, Bluesofa said:

I was always under the impression there are about 60 road deaths daily?

If only 37 deaths on the first day, is this perhaps some of the drivers had drunk themselves unconscious during this festive time?

It has been less than 60 for a while but still 37 is below the daily average which is quite amazing. The current average is about 40 daily deaths, so either the campaign made a little dent or people have become sturdier.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chatogaster said:

It has been less than 60 for a while but still 37 is below the daily average which is quite amazing. The current average is about 40 daily deaths, so either the campaign made a little dent or people have become sturdier.

'or people have become sturdier'
Do that mean they might bounce back more than in the past?

11 hours ago, Poolie said:

80%  motorcycle involvement. As expected. I can see why the rural Thais have them, and to an extent, the urbanites, taxis etc, but the others are a mystery to me.

Lots of things are a mystery to you...

• Haha 1

Strange, the Thairsc website reports 82 deaths and 2,508 injuries yesterday.

< Image removed - Posted images must be relevant to the topic, supported with a comment and a URL to the image as per rules >
Moderator.

Edited by Faz
image without link removed.

20 hours ago, Totoro said:

Well, just like any other day. It is 365 days dangerous on Thai roads. 110000 traffic tickets. So what? Who actually is going to pay them? 80% involved were motorcyclist. That is what they want us to believe. The latest research, an american one, said that Thailand is the second most dangerous country worldwide and by far pick -ups caused most casualties.

The other day I asked a student of mine what she thinks will happen first: Nuklear war or Thais learn how to drive a vehicle and follow traffic rules. Her answer: Nuklear war.

It will never change in LOS. 

Are you teaching your student English?

23 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

Been watching a few of the local over these past years, they get up, ride to the local supply and then seem to write themselves off quickly, sleep where they fall, get up ride home, with a small Cvit bottle to put them to sleep at home. 

Have seen some who can ride a bike further than they can walk. Bike 20 metres, walk one metre.

Village life, where everyone looks out for them is a big help too.