News Forum - Russian driver kills motorcycle rider in Phuket

Thaiger

A Russian man crashed his rented black SUV into a motorcycle and killed a Thai motorcycle rider on road in Phuket on Wednesday. Officers from Chalong Police Station and the Phuket Ruam Jai Rescue Team were notified about the incident at the Chalong Intersection on Patak Road in the Chalong sub-district of Phuket at about 9.20pm, Wednesday, December 28. The suspect, a 51 year old Russian man, Igor Chub, waited to surrender himself to the officers at the scene but refused to provide accident details to the media. According to one of the rescuers, the Russian man is a tourist […]

The story Russian driver kills motorcycle rider in Phuket as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It is sad so many people die on the roads of Thailand! Many if this could be avoided!  

No speeding, no drugs, no alcohol and proper knowledge of traffic rules!

Proper vehicle with good working breaks, lights and tires!

• Like 1

It is very obvious that the SUV is on very high speed. Looking at the impact it could be easily not less than 120km/hr speed, tossing out the motorcycle rider. And not sure if the rider is properly geared. 

12 minutes ago, Pajapelto said:

It is sad so many people die on the roads of Thailand! Many if this could be avoided!  

Proper vehicle with good working breaks, lights and tires!

Accidents still happen. We cant legislate them away

It will be interesting to read the result of the blood-alcohol test unless, of course, this person manages to do a Red Bull and pay his way out of it.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, socal said:

You mean there are rules that people are supposed to abide by? The blatant disregard for observance of basic safety on the roads is easily witnessed daily. Until such time as the police get off their backsides and actively enforce traffic discipline - including deathly slow drivers as well as speeders, tail-gaters and weavers - nothing will change.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

This only made the news because it was a foreign driver. Very few tourists rent cars.

The bike does look as though it was struck from behind which wouldn’t be a surprise given how few motorcycles have rear lights.

it’s almost a badge of honour not to have working lights on your bike, Change that culture and you make huge progress on road safety. The irony is that with cars its often the opposite, a badge of honour to have additional lights affixed to the vehicle.

Reflective clothing would also save 1,000s of lives as well. The solutions are all out there. Things like speeding and alcohol all play a part but there is much lower hanging fruit to pick.

• Like 7

The investigating officer revealed officers would check CCTV cameras near the accident scene before issuing charges against the Russian suspect.

And give the Russian time to come up with a better offer to the police.

• Like 4

You have to be dumb to rent a car as a tourist in Thailand or really any third world country.  With so many transportation options (taxi, ride share apps, bus, etc.) just seems like a bad decision.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Saunk said:

You have to be dumb to rent a car as a tourist in Thailand or really any third world country.  With so many transportation options (taxi, ride share apps, bus, etc.) just seems like a bad decision.  

I’m not sure about that. Being able to wonder off the beaten path and find unusual places away from the large crowds is fun.

Part of the problem in Thailand is that they drive on the left. That’s fine for the Brits and the Aussies but can be problematic for most visitors. Easy to forget in a relaxed moment which side to drive on. Not saying this was a factor in this particular case?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Saunk said:

I highly disagree, I have rented a car in pretty much every country I have visited and I love it.

Asia, Latin America, Caribbean and Europe

People on forums talk about how dangerous this and that country are to drive in and I have not found one country dangerous to drive in

As long as you are a good driver who keeps aware of your surroundings, you can drive anywhere

For me driving in other countries and having the freedom to go and stop where you want is the best part of traveling

PS.....I remember reading on Dominican Republic expat forums how dangerous driving in the Dominican was

This was basically my drive the whole way, with great breakthroughs to drive right along the ocean at times and then through nice little villages

It was a superb and pleasant a drive as I ever had

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Part of the problem in Thailand is that they drive on the left. That’s fine for the Brits and the Aussies but can be problematic for most visitors. Easy to forget in a relaxed moment which side to drive on. Not saying this was a factor in this particular case?

I don't find it hard to drive "on the wrong side"
But...........it does take me a second on the 1st couple of turn outs to remember what lane to turn into when I am back in Thailand

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I don't find it hard to drive "on the wrong side"
But...........it does take me a second on the 1st couple of turn outs to remember what lane to turn into when I am back in Thailand

I’m sure you don’t. But it’s amazing how we can fall in to “autopilot” driving when tired or distracted. It only takes a second and an accident occurs. The recent case of Anne Sacoolas shows some Americans do forget. As most nationalities drive on the “wrong side” of the road, then Thailand can present a risk to them. 

2 hours ago, Saunk said:

Then I must be dumb.
But what would you do if renting a house outside a touristic center, having to go to Lotus/Central for food, or to restaurants. sightseeing...if there are no taxi's or busses around. Getting a taxi to buy some water, bread, cold cuts, etc would make them very expensive. And no motorbikes for me.
If in a hotel in a major city or touristic center like Patong or others in Phuket or in Pattaya, yes you don't need a car.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, socal said:

Calling them "accidents" is part of the problem... speeding is not an accident... dwi is not an accident... riding a motorbike without working lights down the wrong side of the road is not an accident... etc etc... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skip said:

Calling them "accidents" is part of the problem... speeding is not an accident... dwi is not an accident... riding a motorbike without working lights down the wrong side of the road is not an accident... etc etc... 

Yeah but we can't play god. Look at how insanely regulated and policed roads are in say North America. And we still have ppl dying. A couple weeks ago here around Vancouver Canada , 4 ppl were killed in an accident. Then just in this snow a few days ago, another 4 were killed. There is a point of diminishing returns when you start trying to eliminate accidents with legislation 

36 minutes ago, socal said:

Yeah but we can't play god. Look at how insanely regulated and policed roads are in say North America. And we still have ppl dying. A couple weeks ago here around Vancouver Canada , 4 ppl were killed in an accident. Then just in this snow a few days ago, another 4 were killed. There is a point of diminishing returns when you start trying to eliminate accidents with legislation 

Obviously accidents will still happen. But 20,000+ a year in a population and vehicle ownership like Thailand certainly isn’t in the realm of diminishing returns. First responsibility of every government is to protect its people. 

• Like 1

Stop allowing fu**ing Russians to enter Thailand as all of Europe has done. Not only do they support the war, but they also drive like idiots. Take a look dashcam videos from Russia on YT, you'll know what I mean.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Lived in Thailand (Bangkok specifically) off and on for 12 years and can truly say I would be insane to drive here.   Been in 3 accidents, non of which I was driving, all of which I was a passenger on a truck, and each time was struck by a motorcycle. One of which we were at a dead stop at an intersection. A truely death-wish to drive here, particularly on “speed” driving a motorcycle.

• Like 2

Thailand road toll is far to high. It needs not to be. All it needs is better drivers and better driving. I always drive cautiously but many crazy drivers endanger me and others. Young Motorbike riders are the worst.

Amazing, Thai are among the nicest people in the world, but when they get behind the wheel on the road it becomes different story. I wonder why.

• Like 1

"Henry" says it is almost a "badge of honor to not have rear lights on a motorbike"?  I've been driving a motorbike in Bangkok and Phuket for over 2.5 decades, and everyday for the last 8 years.  Your comment might have had some truth in it 30 years ago but not now.  Far from it.  The vast majority of bikes nowadays are street legal and fully operational, including all lights, turn signals, etc.  Do we know all the details?  Not at all.  Could the bike driver have been at fault?  Of course.  But how many idiot car drivers are on the road in Thailand these days, both locals as well as tourists, especially during the holidays?  How many of these cars have darkly tinted windows (illegal in many countries)?  How many drivers commonly text while driving?  How many speeders and reckless drivers are there?   How many are looking at their GPS or changing their music selection while barreling down the road?  For locals, how easy is it to get a driver's license? (yes, that's a rhetorical question ; )   My point is to suggest restraint when making comments that you appear to know very little about.  Just sayin'.  

• Like 3

I  would give Comrade Crashkin the benefit of the doubt, as he stopped immediately and did not flee. Drunk drivers no matter the nationality, typically take off. Russians likeThais also have tendency to not remain at the scene of a crash. Perhaps he just had the misfortune of a crash. He must be quite stressed out with the BiB hovering about with visions of baht  dancing in their eyes.

From the damage to the SUV It appears it must have been driven at high speed on a busy street. Not good. I reckon the driver will be in big trouble, unless there is an out of court settlement.

Edited by thingamabob

On 12/30/2022 at 10:53 AM, socal said:

I will agree with you on this one. Even automaice self driving cars have the same problem.