News Forum - Scottish man fights for his life in Thai hospital

Thaiger

A Scottish man is fighting for his life in a Thai hospital after a virus triggered a respiratory disease and rendered him unconscious while on holiday. Robert Kessell flew to Thailand on November 24 for a three-week holiday but was struck by illness on Thursday, December 8. The 66 year old, from Wishaw in North Lanarkshire, was rushed to Pattaya City Hospital by a close friend called Rose. Kessell spent the next two weeks fighting for his life while unconscious on a ventilator after suffering from an acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). The sexagenarian made a bit […]

The story Scottish man fights for his life in Thai hospital as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This really gets annoying every day I hear of people having no insurance and setting up a go fund me to bail them out ,why should everyone else pay for there ignorance as if insurance is expensive.

• Like 3

Shifty Insurance companies (plenty of them) require you to pay ALL your medical bills up front and then produce payment receipts after the fact. 

They will then fight and query most of those receipts in an effort to dud you for a few dollars or pounds.

If this is the case here, maybe they want him to exit hospital in Thailand (ie pay all the bills up front) return to UK, present all receipts, a lot of which they will question or make demands of clarification from Thailand (ha ha, on that one) i.e., it is in Thai please translate to English etc etc.

Insurance companies are your best friends until you pay the premium and then you have the audacity to make a claim.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Didn't he have any travel insurance plan before travelling to far away places for vacation? 

Possibly not, maybe had a policy that doesn't pay the bills direct or one that doesn't provide cover for pre-existing conditions. My current annual multi-trip policy does both, but it does cost, close on £800 last time round (and would cost quite a bit more if I wanted cover for North and  Central America).

3 hours ago, adie said:

This really gets annoying every day I hear of people having no insurance and setting up a go fund me to bail them out ,why should everyone else pay for there ignorance as if insurance is expensive.

I agree. And someone at 66 who doesn't have enough saved to cover something like this probably shouldn't be travelling half way across the globe anyways.  And you're telling me he has no family that can help pay the bill, even as a loan? Whilst strangers are expected to foot the bill via a go fund me. Strange times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, palooka said:

Shifty Insurance companies (plenty of them) require you to pay ALL your medical bills up front and then produce payment receipts after the fact. 

They will then fight and query most of those receipts in an effort to dud you for a few dollars or pounds.

If this is the case here, maybe they want him to exit hospital in Thailand (ie pay all the bills up front) return to UK, present all receipts, a lot of which they will question or make demands of clarification from Thailand (ha ha, on that one) i.e., it is in Thai please translate to English etc etc.

Insurance companies are your best friends until you pay the premium and then you have the audacity to make a claim.

Total nonsense, stupid comments like this cause stupid people like this guy to be put off from buying travel insurance.

Back in 2020 I was in Phuket for seven months during the covid lockdown, I was only supposed to stay for three months, I had bought insurance to cover me for my three month stay.

I developed a problem with my sight and needed a brain scan, eye tests, a spinal tap and many other procedures, I paid the 250 pounds access and the insurance paid the rest including all the medical bills, the extra cost of my accommodation and a new plane ticket back to the UK, they paid for all my addition four month extended stay expenses.

I had a dedicated guy phone me every few days from the UK representing the insurance company and two doctors also called me from the UK.

So please stop talking nonsense.

19 minutes ago, JamesR said:

It's not total nonsense.

Some years ago, in China, I required daily visits to a major hospital for treatment.
I had insurance with a very reputable UK insurer.

Like yourself, they allocated a contact who rang me every other day.
The Insurers were quite willing to pay my ongoing treatment, the problem was the hospital refused direct payments because they had no prior 'agreement' with the Insurers.

I had to pay daily, keep the receipts and on return to the UK the Insurers reimbursed all costs.
This, according to the Insurers, was not the first time they found a hospital refusing direct payments from the Insurer due to no prior arranged 'agreement'.

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

Total nonsense, stupid comments like this cause stupid people like this guy to be put off from buying travel insurance.

Back in 2020 I was in Phuket for seven months during the covid lockdown, I was only supposed to stay for three months, I had bought insurance to cover me for my three month stay.

I developed a problem with my sight and needed a brain scan, eye tests, a spinal tap and many other procedures, I paid the 250 pounds access and the insurance paid the rest including all the medical bills, the extra cost of my accommodation and a new plane ticket back to the UK, they paid for all my addition four month extended stay expenses.

I had a dedicated guy phone me every few days from the UK representing the insurance company and two doctors also called me from the UK.

A very positive experience.

I do hear of less positive experiences; I think that there are several UK insurers who will not deal direct with, for example,  the Bangkok Hospital Group. Rarely an issue in settling the bills but the insured has to arrange payment first.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chaimai said:

A very positive experience.

I do hear of less positive experiences; I think that there are several UK insurers who will not deal direct with, for example,  the Bangkok Hospital Group. Rarely an issue in settling the bills but the insured has to arrange payment first.

I also hear lots of negative stories regarding insurance companies for example I was told by one guy that all insurance companies avoid paying anything at all out, this and the most other stories are false.

The important thing to do as with anything else we buy is to read the details before buying.

13 hours ago, Faz said:

It's not total nonsense.

Some years ago, in China, I required daily visits to a major hospital for treatment.
I had insurance with a very reputable UK insurer.

Like yourself, they allocated a contact who rang me every other day.
The Insurers were quite willing to pay my ongoing treatment, the problem was the hospital refused direct payments because they had no prior 'agreement' with the Insurers.

I had to pay daily, keep the receipts and on return to the UK the Insurers reimbursed all costs.
This, according to the Insurers, was not the first time they found a hospital refusing direct payments from the Insurer due to no prior arranged 'agreement'.

I suppose if you did not have the funds to pay yourself the insurance company would have found an alternative hospital to deal with, I can't imagine you being left to fend for yourself by the insurance company.

33 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I suppose if you did not have the funds to pay yourself the insurance company would have found an alternative hospital to deal with, I can't imagine you being left to fend for yourself by the insurance company.

Yes, they offered an alternative hospital that they had previously dealt with, in fact they went well above and beyond the level of service I would have anticipated in order to resolve the situation, even offering to pay direct through a Chinese Insurer.

My visit to Nanning was to meet friends, but the alternative hospital was 2,334 Kms away in Beijing.
Fortunately, I had access to sufficient funding to cover the daily expenses for treatment and be reimbursed on return to the UK, but my point being, others could find themselves in a similar situation without access to sufficient funds to cover the expenses.

Another Insurance experience, again on a trip to Nanning, China, I was advised by Norwich Union to take out their 'Worldwide' policy, which covered all events regardless of risk. I encountered a 1-hour delay at Charles de Gaulle airport, resulting in just missing my connecting flight to Nanning from Guangzhou.
The airline rebooked me on a flight the following day FOC, however I had an unexpected night stay in Guangzhou with taxi and hotel costs, finally arriving in Nanning some 26 hours later than I should have.
The Insurance policy covered costs incurred for longer than a 4-hour delay - until I claimed and was then inform, delays over 4 hours were only covered if they occurred within Europe.

'Worldwide policy' Pfft!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Faz said:

Yes, they offered an alternative hospital that they had previously dealt with, in fact they went well above and beyond the level of service I would have anticipated in order to resolve the situation, even offering to pay direct through a Chinese Insurer.

My visit to Nanning was to meet friends, but the alternative hospital was 2,334 Kms away in Beijing.
Fortunately, I had access to sufficient funding to cover the daily expenses for treatment and be reimbursed on return to the UK, but my point being, others could find themselves in a similar situation without access to sufficient funds to cover the expenses.

Another Insurance experience, again on a trip to Nanning, China, I was advised by Norwich Union to take out their 'Worldwide' policy, which covered all events regardless of risk. I encountered a 1-hour delay at Charles de Gaulle airport, resulting in just missing my connecting flight to Nanning from Guangzhou.
The airline rebooked me on a flight the following day FOC, however I had an unexpected night stay in Guangzhou with taxi and hotel costs, finally arriving in Nanning some 26 hours later than I should have.
The Insurance policy covered costs incurred for longer than a 4-hour delay - until I claimed and was then inform, delays over 4 hours were only covered if they occurred within Europe.

'Worldwide policy' Pfft!

My two suitcases were temporarily lost on my way here (Phuket) in November this year, they were 'lost' at BKK airport for a few days and then delivered to me at home. 

I didn't bother with an insurance claim as for me the main reason for buying insurance is to cover the larger events like hospital bills etc.

Just in case I ever get into a similar situation you were in I make sure I have around 4000 pounds in cash with me and 30k available to use on my credit cards as you never know what might happen.

I know everyone can not do that but as the original news item was relating to the guy having no insurance he had placed himself in an impossible situation. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I know everyone can not do that but as the original news item was relating to the guy having no insurance he had placed himself in an impossible situation. 

Many regard Insurance as dead money, as nothing will happen to them, it only happens to others.
Personally, I always take out travel insurance if travelling overseas.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Faz said:

Many regard Insurance as dead money, as nothing will happen to them, it only happens to others.
Personally, I always take out travel insurance if travelling overseas.

It is one thing I really like to 'waste' money on, if the money has been 'wasted' it means I am still fit and healthy. 

I was told once, "insurance is a waste of money", my reply was, "I hope it continues to be a waste of money".

I have travel insurance for the next five months (initially six months from the UK.)

I will have to find an health insurance plan in this country when it expires as I will have my stay extended by one year and then on a yearly basis.

I have looked at the Bangkok Bank option but I will look around more closely nearer the time.

19 hours ago, JamesR said:

Says the man who works for Insurance I'm thinking.😃

38 minutes ago, palooka said:

Says the man who works for Insurance I'm thinking.😃

I buy car breakdown cover but I do not work for the AA or AAA.

I suppose car breakdown cover is a waste of money too as I will end up pushing my own car to the garage as they will also cheat me. 

What about NI (national insurance) I pay into, will I end up paying my own pension as I will be fiddled out of that too. 😃

It is a conspiracy, they are all out to get us. 🤑

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JamesR said:

It is one thing I really like to 'waste' money on, if the money has been 'wasted' it means I am still fit and healthy. 

I was told once, "insurance is a waste of money", my reply was, "I hope it continues to be a waste of money".

I have travel insurance for the next five months (initially six months from the UK.)

I will have to find an health insurance plan in this country when it expires as I will have my stay extended by one year and then on a yearly basis.

I have looked at the Bangkok Bank option but I will look around more closely nearer the time.

We had always had BUPA health insurance for my wife and my son in Thailand and she would complain "we don't use it"

I would tell her it's a good thing!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

We had always had BUPA health insurance for my wife and my son in Thailand and she would complain "we don't use it"

I would tell her it's a good thing!

I suppose we could bang our heads against a brick wall once or twice a year just to get our money's worth. 😃

Travel insurance or health insurance is not so expensive for me as I’m under 60 years old. I notice it increases a bit after 60 but ramps up a lot once you hit 70. Beyond 75 it can become astronomical. That’s when some people start to think they won’t declare certain medical problems to bring the cost down. Totally pointless as it will be a problem if you make a claim. 

On 12/29/2022 at 2:17 PM, Thaiger said:

A Scottish man is fighting for his life in a Thai hospital after a virus triggered a respiratory disease and rendered him unconscious while on holiday. Robert Kessell flew to Thailand on November 24 for a three-week holiday but was struck by illness on Thursday, December 8. The 66 year old, from Wishaw in North Lanarkshire, was rushed to Pattaya City Hospital by a close friend called Rose. Kessell spent the next two weeks fighting for his life while unconscious on a ventilator after suffering from an acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). The sexagenarian made a bit […]

The story Scottish man fights for his life in Thai hospital as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Travel Insurance including Covid Cover should by now be Mandatory before being allowed to leave your country to travel overseas. It's ridiculous that people travel overseas, get sick or injured and then have to resort to Go Fund Me pages to get help. Wake up people, have the travel insurance to cover these things and stop being a nuisance others to cover your costs. 

6 hours ago, Chazz76 said:

Travel Insurance including Covid Cover should by now be Mandatory before being allowed to leave your country to travel overseas. It's ridiculous that people travel overseas, get sick or injured and then have to resort to Go Fund Me pages to get help. Wake up people, have the travel insurance to cover these things and stop being a nuisance others to cover your costs. 

What if you are too old or have pre-existing medical issues and to get cover costs more than your annual income? 

Insurance is a calculation based on cost and risk. If your car insurance quote for you £20k car was £10k a year, would you still buy it? 

In this particular case then I think there is little excuse. This is a younger guy, annual worldwide travel would have cost him maybe £40-£70. This is not always the case though. 

I always have travel insurance but I’m in my 50’s and no medical issues. Not sure I’ll be buying it when I’m 70? It would help if the insurance companies offered more affordable and tailored options for people.