News Forum - Police ordered not to name nationalities, arrest Swedish man with gun and meth

Thaiger

Naming the nationality of perpetrator happens in every country. We take umbrage of the fact it happens in Thai media because we identify with the perpetrator as being an outsider. In our home country the way the news is reported isn’t pause for a second thought because it’s one of them (an outsider) committing the offence, not one of us (member of the ethno/cultural mainstream). Next time you go home you may view the news through different eyes, or not.

2 hours ago, Khunmark said:

Naming the nationality of perpetrator happens in every country. We take umbrage of the fact it happens in Thai media because we identify with the perpetrator as being an outsider. In our home country the way the news is reported isn’t pause for a second thought because it’s one of them (an outsider) committing the offence, not one of us (member of the ethno/cultural mainstream). Next time you go home you may view the news through different eyes, or not.

Not sure which country you are from, but this isn’t the case in the U.K. unless it’s pertinent to do so. The media in the U.K. wouldn’t dare to do so for being called out as racist or even worse, assuming the person was foreign, only to find they were in fact a U.K. citizen. 

The UK and many other Western countries go too far the other way. We report such nonsense as “British-Pakistani” or “African-American”. Well which is it? Are you British or Pakistani, African or American? Garbage! 

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

The UK and many other Western countries go too far the other way. We report such nonsense as “British-Pakistani” or “African-American”. Well which is it? Are you British or Pakistani, African or American? Garbage! 

Why is it "garbage" 

It usually does give pertinent information

So many times you hear a "Canadian" was killed in Mexico only to find out it was a Mexican who immigrated to Canada and has a long line of gang related arrests

It makes quite a difference.............by saying "a Canadian" we can think it may be a tourist killed in Mexico, which is concerning and news you want to know

And there is always "a Canadian" arrested for some scam or gang related crime to find out they are either an Inidan who immigrated to Canada or an "Inidan Canadian" where so many of them are scum gangsters

So the description does make a difference

56 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

So many times you hear a "Canadian" was killed in Mexico only to find out it was a Mexican who immigrated to Canada and has a long line of gang related arrests

So you want to reinforce racial steretypes?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cowslip said:

So you want to reinforce racial steretypes?

when some Mexican or Indian gangster gets a Canadian passport and commits crimes, then yes

The reporter knows that if they lead with "Canadian shot in Mexico" it will get more eyeballs because people will be concerned that a tourist got shot

You lead with Mexican-Canadian shot in Mexico, or just Indian-Canadian doing anything wrong, then it is most likely criminally related...................

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Why is it "garbage" 

It usually does give pertinent information

It makes quite a difference.............by saying "a Canadian" we can think it may be a tourist killed in Mexico, which is concerning and news you want to know

And there is always "a Canadian" arrested for some scam or gang related crime to find out they are either an Inidan who immigrated to Canada or an "Inidan Canadian" where so many of them are scum gangsters

So the description does make a difference

As I have said before on this thread. There are of course occasions where the nationality is more relevant and pertinent to the news article. Often, where a serious crime or a death has occurred, the embassy of those involved will be engaged, or it is likely to make international news. Where I draw the line, and I believe most progressive media would also draw the line, is in trivial, inconsequential news stories. Headlines such as:

German man hits a noodle stall.

Englishman complains about the smell of durian in hotel room. 

American man complains to police about being overcharged for lottery ticket. 

These are petty minor issues in which calling out nationalities have no relevance whatsoever and simply perpetuate the “locals v outsiders”. It drives division and helps no one, including young Thais who already have their head filled with such nationalistic claptrap on a daily basis.

Headlines such as:

Canadian man caught with 1kg of drugs.

British man falls from balcony

French man accused of molesting a child

are more worthy of noting the nationality. Foreign embassy’s will likely get involved. International media may also get involved. A guilty court ruling will likely end in deportation. That said, it would do no particular harm to remove the nationality as it changes little. 

Replacing “British man aged 65 falls from balcony”,  with “Man aged 65 falls from balcony” doesn’t change the facts of the story at all. It still allows people to question if older people are more vulnerable to such incidents (or is it only foreigners who can fall from balcony's?). It still allows people to question building standards and the role of the hotel in the accident (or is it only foreigners who need better building standards and Thais shouldn’t complain?). By calling out the nationality, it allows the stereotype negative bias to perpetuate. 

That’s why it’s garbage. In fact It’s dangerous garbage.  

31 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

when some Mexican or Indian gangster gets a Canadian passport and commits crimes, then yes

The reporter knows that if they lead with "Canadian shot in Mexico" it will get more eyeballs because people will be concerned that a tourist got shot

You lead with Mexican-Canadian shot in Mexico, or just Indian-Canadian doing anything wrong, then it is most likely criminally related...................

The problem Marc is that you can’t be both an Indian and a Canadian when it comes to legal matters. Phrases such as British- Indian or African-American are still used by people who are forth or fith generation British or American. Born in the country, educated in the country. They are British as much as me or American as much as you. 

When it comes to people who immigrate to a country then the description should be Indian immigrant. Or Indian born. When you mix the description such as British-Indian and your justification is that it singles them out as scum, then by default, you also stigmatise anyone who is ethnic Indian and law abiding. If you are born in Britain and hold a British passport, you are British. The fact your culture, choice of religion, choice of dress code or choice of food may be Indian changes nothing in the eyes of the law. 

47 minutes ago, Soidog said:

The problem Marc is that you can’t be both an Indian and a Canadian when it comes to legal matters. Phrases such as British- Indian or African-American are still used by people who are forth or fith generation British or American. Born in the country, educated in the country. They are British as much as me or American as much as you. 

When it comes to people who immigrate to a country then the description should be Indian immigrant. Or Indian born. When you mix the description such as British-Indian and your justification is that it singles them out as scum, then by default, you also stigmatise anyone who is ethnic Indian and law abiding. If you are born in Britain and hold a British passport, you are British. The fact your culture, choice of religion, choice of dress code or choice of food may be Indian changes nothing in the eyes of the law. 

I am not disputing any of that and of course, my stance could be seen as racist

But I do think newspapers deliberately say "Canadian" because they know it will get more clicks

There was a recent "Canadian" arrested in Thailand and it was all over this site

Of course it was a Canadian Indian scammer............

By the way, I think there are plenty of Immigrants that come to countries and do become that countries citizens but I also believe there are many more that do not, in spirit

(And mostly I think people who immigrate and have kids born in their new country are more apt to become citizens, in sprit, of that country)

Honestly, even with Canadian passports, I think calling me or my wife "Canadian" would not be accurately describing us.

8 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

But I do think newspapers deliberately say "Canadian" because they know it will get more clicks

I agree, that’s why it needs to stop or be used where appropriate. 

9 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Honestly, even with Canadian passports, I think calling me or my wife "Canadian" would not be accurately describing us.

Again I’m sure that’s true. But if you are a Canadian citizen, then in the eyes of the law you will be treated as such. Including not being deported if found guilty of a crime. 

Basically, many Western countries have immigration laws that are far too lax. I think Canada in particular seems to open its doors to anyone who no one else will have. We’ve seen a few recently including the Myanmar transgender beauty Queen.

Canada is possibly worse than the U.K. when it comes to allowing controversial people in and allowing illegal migrants to stay. I’m not for that at all. Kick people out who don’t enter legally. If you can’t ascertain which country they are from, then hold them in an offshore prison until they own up. Failure to declare your nationality and/or produce a passport should result in severe punishment and an immediate pause on asylum application.  

33 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Again I’m sure that’s true. But if you are a Canadian citizen, then in the eyes of the law you will be treated as such. Including not being deported if found guilty of a crime. 

Basically, many Western countries have immigration laws that are far too lax. I think Canada in particular seems to open its doors to anyone who no one else will have. We’ve seen a few recently including the Myanmar transgender beauty Queen.

Canada is possibly worse than the U.K. when it comes to allowing controversial people in and allowing illegal migrants to stay. I’m not for that at all. Kick people out who don’t enter legally. If you can’t ascertain which country they are from, then hold them in an offshore prison until they own up. Failure to declare your nationality and/or produce a passport should result in severe punishment and an immediate pause on asylum application.  

I also think Canada gives passports too easy and doesn't make people adhere to their passports once given

I think if you get a passport you should have to live in Canada for an x number of years to keep it

Yes, that is the requirement for PR, but I still think living in Canada only 3 out of 5 years is not enough

And I know many Thais who did that and then immediately moved back to Thailand

I don't think that is the spirit of Immigration

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I also think Canada gives passports too easy and doesn't make people adhere to their passports once given

I think if you get a passport you should have to live in Canada for an x number of years to keep it

Yes, that is the requirement for PR, but I still think living in Canada only 3 out of 5 years is not enough

And I know many Thais who did that and then immediately moved back to Thailand

I don't think that is the spirit of Immigration

Yes, completely agree

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

Basically, many Western countries have immigration laws that are far too lax. I think Canada in particular seems to open its doors to anyone who no one else will have. We’ve seen a fe Kick people out who don’t enter legally. If you can’t ascertain which country they are from, then hold them in an offshore prison until they own up. Failure to declare your nationality and/or produce a passport should result in severe punishment and an immediate pause on asylum application.  

Canada has a pricey buy your way in option that a lot of Chinese , Indian , Vietnamese ect take.

The kids of a lot of these ppl like to get into the local drug trade. They even started a successful crime syndicate called the United Nations gang. It's called that because of their diverse background 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_(gang)

20 minutes ago, socal said:

Canada has a pricey buy your way in option that a lot of Chinese , Indian , Vietnamese ect take.

The kids of a lot of these ppl like to get into the local drug trade. They even started a successful crime syndicate called the United Nations gang. It's called that because of their diverse background 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_(gang)

More fool the Canadian Government for allowing such things to happen. They aren’t alone however. The U.K. has been allowing dodgy characters from all over the world to buy access to living in the UK and buy businesses and invest. I’m not sure what it will take to stop these things taking place ? 

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

More fool the Canadian Government for allowing such things to happen. They aren’t alone however. The U.K. has been allowing dodgy characters from all over the world to buy access to living in the UK and buy businesses and invest. I’m not sure what it will take to stop these things taking place ? 

It's all politics. I doubt its going to change anytime soon. 

I could be wrong but Australia is a little different compared to the other Commonwealth states 

• Like 1