News Forum - Could Thailand’s Southeast Coastal Gem Khanom Be the Next Koh Samui?

Thaiger

The search for the next big resort destination in Thailand is an absolutely big ask. An expansive country with 77 provinces and an amazing array of diverse geographical locations, Instagram-worthy aspects, and distinctly different nuances. Out of this brazen travel chaos, the endearing term ‘same same, but different’ was born and remains highly relevant. Yet, one of the simple truths of emerging destinations remains the adage “you can’t stay there if you can’t get there”. Potential is one thing but reality bites when getting to it is just too painful for words. Here in Thailand, one of my favourite places […]

The story Could Thailand’s Southeast Coastal Gem Khanom Be the Next Koh Samui? as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

While there are benefits of Khanom, it's bad for tourists because there is no public transportation. Tourists are literally stuck at their hotel, and nothing is walking distance. Also, very few English speakers. It is a Thai holiday destination. 
More tourists means the costs will soar, and it will ruin the peace & tranquility. Please do not come here.

Edited by BSD
Correction

“Could Thailand’s Southeast Coastal Gem Khanom Be the Next Koh Samui?”

- No, probably not and better that way. I’ve been there three times and I think it would lose a lot of its appeal if development really kicked off. Even in the last ten years there have been a lot of changes, mostly for the better but it’s almost at a tipping point now. You used to be able to walk a mile along the beach in Khanom and come across two or three people, but that’s getting harder. 

I don’t think Khanom will take off anytime soon. Getting around is hassle unless you have your own wheels, and the main road is just a bit too far from the beach, unlike say Bankrut or Thung   Wua Laen - similarly positioned in the second tier but developing a lot faster in the last 10 years or so.

Just an aside, but I met a lot of odd expats there too, folks I wouldn’t want to have as neighbors. There are one or two weirdos in every town of course, but Khanom seems to have more than the usual.

6 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

been a lot of changes, mostly for the better but it’s almost at a tipping point now. You used to be able to walk a mile along the beach in Khanom and come across two or three people, but that’s getting harder. 

I don’t think Khanom will take off anytime soon. Getting around is hassle unless you have.

Just an aside, but I met a lot of odd expats there too, folks I wouldn’t want to have as neighbors. There are one or two weirdos in every town of course, but Khanom seems to have more than the usual.

Got any stories to share about these weirdos ? 🙂 What was wierd about them?

10 minutes ago, socal said:

Got any stories to share about these weirdos ? 🙂 What was wierd about them?

No especially entertaining stories with a punchline or anything like that.  I could probably frame it like this: walking along the shore of a quiet beach, it seems normal to greet people coming the other way, which I do. I encountered chatterboxes, a guy talking to noone but himself, and a chap who changed direction and walked with me. I also startled some folks with my greeting, as if they’d never been spoken to by a fellow human before.

The one “normal” chap I met was at a beachside restaurant down by the Aava Resort. No other customers there. I say normal, but he did ask a lot of questions. Saw him the next day and he had no recollection of meeting me, almost like he’d been reprogrammed in the morning. Very odd.

Not sure if this is a factor, but if I were buying land, I’d want to check out the neighbors as well as the neighborhood.

I always wish my wife was from down that way

I never had any interest in buying land in her village when I was younger and my wife is extremely family oriented so she'd never have interest living in another part of Thailand except her home

But if she lived down south nears these local beaches I would have snapped up beachfront right at the start of our relationship

I have a friend down there and the prices he talks about available 15-20 years ago would have been 100% doable for me

But she was born in rice paddies........sigh( which i love now actually)

On 12/28/2022 at 12:40 PM, socal said:

Isn't it kinda different out there ? Crime and such ? 

I put Khanom crime in Google and it looks like it. 

https://www.ucanews.com/news/life-is-cheap-in-thailands-murder-capital/95029

We've been here for 5 years solid, and really haven't seen or heard about any crime. I'm sure it's here, but not obvious. Of course, if you're using Google, where a large percentage of results are based on your search history. Try clearing your cache/cookies and try again.