Confused about Non-Immigrant O visa

5 hours ago, Guest1 said:

The tourist visa is assumingly in these days the easiest to get. But it needs transfer in to Non O, and again, transfer into an extension of stay. Two times service (fees) of a visa agent

If I can add some clarity to @samiam123 situation.

He is in Canada and the Thai Embassy in Ottawa do not issue the Non O Visa for the purpose of retirement, only the Non Imm O-A Visa, which requires proof of the equivalent of 800K BHT.

@samiam123 is therefore suggesting to enter Visa exempt (without a Visa) then apply for a change of status from 'Tourist' to 'Non Immigrant', (Non O) via an agent.
As you correctly state he will then have to apply for the 1 year extension (again through an agent).

This will be two separate agent fees.

22 minutes ago, Faz said:

He is in Canada and the Thai Embassy in Ottawa do not issue the Non O Visa for the purpose of retirement, only the Non Imm O-A Visa, which requires proof of the equivalent of 800K BHT.

Thats what I am saying, a OA "guy" has the 800k, he even had to show it in his home country.

Wasn't knowing that the Thai embassy in Canada is either trying to get just people with minimum 800k into Thailand, knowing about the 800k in/out the account scam, or wanna make that even more profitable for the visa agents, mostly "law firms", and immigrations, to add even more fees onto this process.

Thanks for the info.

7 hours ago, Faz said:

If I can add some clarity to @samiam123 situation.

@samiam123 is therefore suggesting to enter Visa exempt (without a Visa) then apply for a change of status from 'Tourist' to 'Non Immigrant', (Non O) via an agent.
As you correctly state he will then have to apply for the 1 year extension (again through an agent).

This will be two separate agent fees.

This is not a Canada specific thing.  I presume it's the same for all the G20 countries.  The person I know that does this is American.  They are only doing the 1 year renewals, so I am not sure what the initial 3 month application costs when doing it through a visa agent.  Whatever it is, you only have to do that one time.  After that then it's 12,500 baht a year to get the 12 month renewal.  That is a small price to pay to avoid having to put 800,000 baht into a Thai bank account.  I think it also avoids (for the time being) having to get annual medical insurance that works inside Thailand, which is another thing you will have to do if you apply outside the country.

Edited by samiam123

The Non Imm O-A Visa is only available from Thai Embassies in your Country of nationality or permanent residency. It is not available within Thailand.
The mandatory Health Insurance is required for both the Visa application and any extensions of stay from an O-A entry.

https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/1649-common-visa-types-explained/#comment-5560

7 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

If one of these "agents" were to deposit 800,000 baht into your account what is stopping you from withdrawing it.  

They obviously won't deposit 800,000 THB into your account, they simply know someone in the Immigration Office who through the means of a donation can waive the 800K requirement for you. 

6 hours ago, ctxa said:

They obviously won't deposit 800,000 THB into your account, they simply know someone in the Immigration Office who through the means of a donation can waive the 800K requirement for you. 

ThaigerTalk does not and will never condone such illegal practices although we have no power to stop it happening and many people utilise these 'services'.   Discuss these non-legal methods all you like though beware of the ramifications if you are caught up in such schemes.

7 hours ago, ctxa said:

No, they do that. They put 800k into the account, it shows in the bankbook, it gets in the statement and after the guy from the agent gives you a transfer slip to another account. 

I'll try to ask someone I know,if I can do a discret picture of the bankbook.

7 hours ago, bushav8r said:

If one of these "agents" were to deposit 800,000 baht into your account what is stopping you from withdrawing it.  

They usually ask for bank books and debit card. So you don't have your passport (to show in the bank who you are) or your bankbook or the Atm card. Seems they forget about the online banking.

Come on, you doing that because you wanna stay in the country. Which you quickly would have to leave, if the 800k arent in place. And that is a bit difficult, by not having the passport at hand.

On 7/7/2021 at 7:23 PM, BlueSphinx said:

And when married to a Thai national or with Thai dependant children you can on top of that also apply for an additional 60-days extension for Family reasons

Can anyone advise how often you can obtain the 60 day marriage extension? Once per year?

29 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

No, they do that. They put 800k into the account, it shows in the bankbook, it gets in the statement and after the guy from the agent gives you a transfer slip to another account. 

For the change of status from Tourist to Non Immigrant status the 800K is only required to be in the bank on the date of application, so what you suggest is possible, but highly improbable.
VE-TV to Non O Retirement.pdf

However, for the 1 year extension, the 800K has to be in the account for 2 months prior to the application, then for the following 3 months after the extension is granted. You can then withdraw up to 400K, but must leave 400K in the account, before topping up to 800K 2 months before the next application submission.
35-2561 (2019 (changed clause 2.22 of 327-2557 ENG.pdf

If an agent had only 10 such clients, he'd need a kitty of 8M BHT tied up for a year, every year and a further 800K for each and every client they take on beyond that. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ctxa said:

Except they're not authorised to 'waive' any requirements.
Only if an officer of the rank of Inspector at a local Immigration office deems the foreigner has legitimate reason for not meeting the criteria, he may forward the application to the Commander (only regional offices have Commanders) for further consideration.

''Sir, I don't have 800K'' is hardly a legitimate reason!

5. In the case where an alien applicant does not meet the full qualifications stipulated by the criteria herein or in other cases not specified in this Order but a competent officer equivalent to or higher than inspector is of the opinion that the alien has legitimate reason for staying in the Kingdom of Thailand, the application shall be forwarded to the Commander of the Royal Thai Police or an authorized competent officer for further consideration of the alien's application.
138-2557 (2014) Docs for extensions - ENG.pdf

What about the Special Tourist Visa (STV)?

Singapore Residents (Singapore citizens and Permanent Residents) including their spouses and legitimate child/children (not over 20 years of age) who wish to stay in Thailand for a period up to 90 days (can be extended 2 times, 90 days each).

‘Taken from Thailand Singapore Embassy site …

*** with effective period from 1 October 2021 to 30 September 2022 ***

Maybe available in USA?

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

ThaigerTalk does not and will never condone such illegal practices although we have no power to stop it happening and many people utilise these 'services'.   Discuss these non-legal methods all you like though beware of the ramifications if you are caught up in such schemes.

Furthermore the 800K is mostly required for retirement, (and maybe marriage 400K or the 65K thing), but anyway the thing is, if someone at age 50 who wants to retire doesn’t have a measly 800K in the bank… 

… I wholeheartedly believe he is gonna have a very hard time living in Thailand.  So probably by a using an agent, not only you’re doing something ilegal and risking yourself, you’re also also only fooling  yourself and may struggle a lot as a consequence of not having that money. 

@Samiam you've contradicted yourself in your posts and obviously confused; 

On 2/9/2022 at 4:01 AM, samiam123 said:

what someone I know living there advised me to do is just come into the country on a 30 day on arrival tourist visa and then pay $12,500b to a visa agent to get me the Non-Imm O

On 2/10/2022 at 11:43 PM, samiam123 said:

The visa agent charges around 12,500b for the 12 month renewal.  I don't know what they charge for the initial 3 month application.

There are two separate application involved, the first being the Non Imm O.
The fee of 12,500 BHT may vary between agents, but about mid range.
800K is only required in a Thai bank on the date of submitting the application.
Requirements for Non O application here;  VE-TV to Non O Retirement.pdf

Once you have a Non Imm O you can apply for a 1 year extension.
The fees for this are typically in the 25-30,000 BHT range.
The 800K must have been in the bank for 2 months prior to the date of submission.
Requirements for 1 year extension from a Non O here; 35-2561 (2019 (changed clause 2.22 of 327-2557 ENG.pdf

Then of course you'll discover other possible complications involved when using an agent!

16 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Singapore Residents (Singapore citizens and Permanent Residents) including their spouses and legitimate child/children (not over 20 years of age) who wish to stay in Thailand for a period up to 90 days (can be extended 2 times, 90 days each).

Maybe available in USA?

Sorry, but what does the STV have to do with this topic?

• Cool 1

12 minutes ago, Transam said:

Why do you call 800,000bht "measly"....?  🤔

Well, it’s not that much money. Specially provided you only need to prove you have that money, it won’t go anywhere.

Besides, the equivalent in whatever currency to 20K EUR in the bank is about the absolute minimum for an unmarried Thai (or otherwise “foreigner”) to get a Schengen tourist visa… Any less than that and they will most likely be rejected. 

Edited by ctxa

1 minute ago, Faz said:

Sorry, but what does the STV have to do with this topic?

As asked by person in their post …...

I am confused & need help. I am 52 & want to come to Thailand for 9 months.

so I do believe it’s On Topic 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

As asked by person in their post …...

I am confused & need help. I am 52 & want to come to Thailand for 9 months.

so I do believe it’s On Topic 

You replied to a 7 month old post and never quoted the OP, which was Spengler.

7 months later we're answering a different member @samiam123 about the Non O!
Do catch up with the thread.

• Cool 1

2 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Maybe available in USA?

??? This is for residents of Singapore, why would anyone living in the USA be entitled?

13 hours ago, Faz said:

@Samiam you've contradicted yourself in your posts and obviously confused; 

There are two separate application involved, the first being the Non Imm O.
The fee of 12,500 BHT may vary between agents, but about mid range.
800K is only required in a Thai bank on the date of submitting the application.
Requirements for Non O application here;  VE-TV to Non O Retirement.pdf

Once you have a Non Imm O you can apply for a 1 year extension.
The fees for this are typically in the 25-30,000 BHT range.
The 800K must have been in the bank for 2 months prior to the date of submission.
Requirements for 1 year extension from a Non O here; 35-2561 (2019 (changed clause 2.22 of 327-2557 ENG.pdf

Then of course you'll discover other possible complications involved when using an agent!

The person I know actually doing this told me they are paying 12,500b for the 12 month renewal. Sounds to me like your visa agent is charging you too much.

Edited by samiam123

7 hours ago, samiam123 said:

Sounds to me like your visa agent is charging you too much.

Never used an agent.
I quite often deal with the issues and problems from using an agent though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2021 at 9:38 AM, BlueSphinx said:

However, meeting that insurance requirement is neither difficult nor costly (if you know how).  I have PM-ed you a Guideline document, explaining in full depth how to go about in meeting that requirement.

If you need additional info or have questions, feel free to contact me.  Success!

Please could you guide on the insurance requirement for the 1 year Non O visa. 

38 minutes ago, JoeLondon said:

Please could you guide on the insurance requirement for the 1 year Non O visa. 

Welcome to the forum Joe.
Your meaning the Non O applied for at the Thai Embassy London, yes.

Only the 1 year multi entry Non Imm O-A Visa has any Insurance requirements.

The Non Imm O single entry Visa has no Insurance requirements.

• Like 1