News Forum - Navy ship sinks in Thailand: ‘There weren’t enough life jackets on board’

Thaiger

In a race against time, the Royal Thai Navy continues their search today for missing crew members from the HTMS Sukhothai which sank off the coast of Thailand on Sunday night. So far, the navy’s HTMS Kraburi has brought ashore the bodies of six crew members found floating in the sea. The navy is still searching for 23 missing sailors. Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Thai Navy Choengchai Chomchoengphaet confessed yesterday that “there weren’t enough life jackets on board” the HTMS Sukhothai when it plunged to the bottom of the sea on Sunday night. The navy chief said that 30 sailors […]

The story Navy ship sinks in Thailand: ‘There weren’t enough life jackets on board’ as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

CIC should be fired along with everyone else involved in sending ships to sea with inadequate safety gear.  The ships Officers, if alive, should be prosecuted for negligence at the very least. 

• Like 2

I am shocked, and I don't mean drama type, but truly astounded. It speaks to the complete lack of safety standards throughout Thailand. however, the shocking part  are the words of the admiral who dismissed the need for lifejackets. I am sorry, but I do not think this man is fit for leadership and supervisory role. I think in any navy, if a fleet officer said this, he would be gone before the end of the day. words really fail me with this man and his gang of incompetents who seem to have more in common with the speed boar operators then professional mariners.

• Like 2

Sad that anyone has to submit their whole livelihood to the military while "serving".  Thailand like the U.S. has not been invaded since 1941.  These out of date rules in Thailand for men having to serve are just wrong IMO.

They feed you, house you, train you, cloth you, and force you to do their bidding in the name of "serving" your country.  FFS, this is 2022, buy some armed drones or other high tech defensive weapons and evolve from the idea that only "soldiers" can do the job.  Way too costly and inefficient humans are

Like any job, people should have the right to be protected and have safety equipment available when necessary.  But when you are unable to buy your own safety equipment, you are handing your life over to others who may or may not be doing their job, even though they are in control of your life in the military.

Well this was on the news a couple days ago and all of Thailand folk who watched the news saw it. My daughter told me. Reminds me of the Titanic but not wooden doors. Too abd for those sailers. Supposedly the Captain did no go down with the ship. That day in question had way too many boats go down. Maybe fault should be placed on precurser warning systems first.