News Forum - Body of Canadian man washes up on beach in southern Thailand

Thaiger

The body of a 63 year old Canadian man washed up on a beach on the mainland of Surat Thani province in southern Thailand yesterday evening. He went missing from Koh Pha Ngan island six days ago. At 8pm, officers from Khanom Police Station rushed to Khanom Beach after a decaying body was discovered on the shore in front of the Khanom Power Plant in Thong Nian subdistrict. Police identified the man as 63 year old Albert Floyd Newotta, of Canadian nationality, who was last seen at Phagnan Villa Hotel in Koh Pha Ngan in southern Thailand on Tuesday, December 13. […]

The story Body of Canadian man washes up on beach in southern Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It is really sad to see that many tourists who are coming to Thailand are either ending their life here or ending up as illegal asylum seekers. Hope the authorities do something to either control this or eradicate completely. 

17 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

It is really sad to see that many tourists who are coming to Thailand are either ending their life here or ending up as illegal asylum seekers. Hope the authorities do something to either control this or eradicate completely. 

I agree it’s sad when anyone dies, particularly if it was due to an avoidable accident. I doubt many are asylum seekers, perhaps you mean refugees. Even if they were asylum seekers or refugees, as Thailand did not sign the 1951 convention on refugees then their life in Thailand would be very difficult. 

53 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I agree it’s sad when anyone dies, particularly if it was due to an avoidable accident. I doubt many are asylum seekers, perhaps you mean refugees. Even if they were asylum seekers or refugees, as Thailand did not sign the 1951 convention on refugees then their life in Thailand would be very difficult. 

What I mean by illegal asylum seekers are those came in as tourists and sneak through the system ending up in overstaying with their own intention

6 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

What I mean by illegal asylum seekers are those came in as tourists and sneak through the system ending up in overstaying with their own intention

Sure. I thought you were referring to asylum in the political sense from say Myanmar. 

I think for many Westerners, Thailand can be an intoxicating place and not just with alcohol. The fine weather (sometimes). The party atmosphere and the beautiful girls attention that make some guys think they’ve turned in to George Clooney, can all lead to some poor decision making.  

All that said, there are worse places in the world to be homeless. I do question the mental health of some people I have seen who look essentially homeless in Thailand. I’m sure some of the older people are suffering from dementia or other illnesses that need help. 

• Like 1