News Forum - POLL: Thai politics unchanged, honesty and transparency wanted

Thaiger

A new poll shows that most people in Thailand don’t believe that politics have really changed much. They like responsible honest politicians and hate people who break promises and abuse authority. They want their political parties to be honest and transparent with a clear goal. Corruption is the biggest issue they want tackled. Poll respondents said that they think that Thailand can further itself as a democracy by having transparent elections, not limiting people’s freedom of speech, and fighting to follow the ways of a true democracy. The Suan Dusit poll was conducted last week, between the dates of December […]

The story POLL: Thai politics unchanged, honesty and transparency wanted as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

38 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

A new poll shows that most people in Thailand don’t believe that politics have really changed much. They like responsible honest politicians and hate people who break promises and abuse authority. They want their political parties to be honest and transparent with a clear goal. Corruption is the biggest issue they want tackled.

I think all would agree that the Thai people would like to have better politicians; it is inconceivable that they would want worse ones.

However...

It is with great sadness that I would argue that they will need to take to the streets again to have their views accepted and respected, and that if/when they do, it'll lead to bloodshed like '92 or '10. Simply put, I seriously doubt that the Bangkok Elite will cede power in any meaningful way unless they don't seem to have a choice. Moreover, if/when they do take to the streets, I wonder who, on a national level, will be the voice of restraint and reason. Finally, can anyone name a potential statesman who could rise above the fray and lead a healing process? I can't.

The Thai people, bless their souls, have sacrificed before to attain some political freedoms. The question they'll face is that the same people who ordered the streets cleared last time are still in power today.

I keep hoping the best for the Thai people, but end up witnessing the worst.

• Like 3

The word "Politics" itself is corruption to the tip of the root. The difference is in the intensity and how deep it is rooted in a country.  

No one wants honest politicians, the public approach it as a spectator sport, and they play by proxy, through supporting a team with the best candidate. There is a reason liars go far during elections. People want a basketball star how jumps highest, they want a politics star who tells the best lies out of his mouth.