News Forum - Free tune-up offered for all vehicles before New Year’s Eve

Thaiger

Thailand is trying a new angle to increase road safety during the upcoming busy New Year’s holiday. Before people climb into their cars and make long-distance journeys they might not make in their day-to-day life, the government is helping to provide free comprehensive tune-ups for all vehicles. By partnering with public and private businesses, the Land Transport Department is launching a “Free Vehicle Check for Safe Driving” campaign. Major automakers and distributors will take part in the campaign. The Thai Automotive Industry Association, Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association, and the Thai European Business Association will all participate as well. All motorbikes, […]

The story Free tune-up offered for all vehicles before New Year’s Eve as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I take my car to have the compulsory test once a year in Phuket and then pay the annual "road tax". (The window sticker thingy).

I am always surprised at the low level of the test, I see the headlights are tested for alignment, the brakes are tested on a roller, the emissions from the exhaust pipes are tested, the whole thing takes around seven minutes.

Why is a complete test not done as is the case for example in the UK where the tests take more than one hour including a comprehensive examination of all the parts which are safety critical?

I do of course have my car serviced by a Toyota main dealer within the correct limits so I know my car is safe but this is not compulsory nationwide.

But the safety check described in this article is at least useful and a step in the right direction.