News Forum - Thailand bans Ugandan visa overstayer for 5 years

Thaiger

Immigration police arrested a woman from Uganda yesterday morning in Pathum Thani province for overstaying her visa by 90 days. She is banned from entering Thailand for the next five years. At 9am yesterday, Superintendent of Pathum Thani Immigration Pol. Col. Charoenpong Khantilo reported the arrest of a foreign visa overstayer. Pathum Thani Immigration Police arrested 40 year old Mrs. A (pseudonym), of Ugandan nationality, under suspicion of “staying in the kingdom of Thailand without permission.” Mrs. A overstayed by 90 days. Mrs. A came to Thailand to work as a language teacher but continued working in the kingdom despite […]

The story Thailand bans Ugandan visa overstayer for 5 years as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Okay. I have really had enough of this. Is there really no news worthwhile reporting on. Just for a moment digest the "highlights" of the article. Big joke, which really seem to deserve the nick name, reported the arrest of a criminal who's crime is overstaying in the land of smiles by a whopping 90 days. With real crime like murder, rape, big time scams, corruption on all levels breaking all records does it really make sense to highlight the deadly crime of overstay. But, of course it takes two to tango. A political elite that has lost complete touch with reality and the media that supports them in their dillusion.

10 minutes ago, Donald said:

Okay. I have really had enough of this. Is there really no news worthwhile reporting on. Just for a moment digest the "highlights" of the article. Big joke, which really seem to deserve the nick name, reported the arrest of a criminal who's crime is overstaying in the land of smiles by a whopping 90 days. With real crime like murder, rape, big time scams, corruption on all levels breaking all records does it really make sense to highlight the deadly crime of overstay. But, of course it takes two to tango. A political elite that has lost complete touch with reality and the media that supports them in their dillusion.

Don't read it. I don't and I survive. You'd be surprised how many media junkies there are in the world today. Well, unless it's the football results, I dont take any of it in. 😃

Totally agree @Donald . The problem in Thailand is that investigative journalism simply isn’t allowed. Hence we are stuck with stories which just about make news, or more likely glorified gossip. 

There is news in relation to one of the many deputy PM’s who is held in murder charges. Issues around Rohingya migrants stuck in a boat out at sea. Yet another Thai bus accident hurting a number of tourists (one for TAT to mention when booking) and a vote in the UN relating to Myanmar. All topical regional news items. 

15 minutes ago, Donald said:

And the US doesn't report news on over stayers unlawful presence, then?

26 minutes ago, Faz said:

I think that’s the problem @Faz  Nearly ALL modern news media is lazy and few report on meaningful stories. It’s either gossip or some other sensationalism. It would be great if for once, some news agency broke the mould 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Faz said:

Can you show 1 example of US news reporting on overstays?

The US news has plenty about Immigration problems (migrants coming from Central America / Mexico, India workers not getting a Green Card in a timely fashion, and DACA people), but not "overstay" per se. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Haole.TH said:

Can you show 1 example of US news reporting on overstays?

Are you so naive!
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/11/australian-man-baxter-reid-who-overstayed-us-visa-by-90-minutes-released

If curbing illegal immigration is the goal, as politicians in the United States and Europe argue, then no wall or border fence will stop the West’s largest source of such immigrants. They are not the subject of televised debates or of long stories highlighting their plight. Many are invisible, making them hard to count, and little attention is paid to them. Yet focusing on them might yield better results than focusing on those fleeing violence and persecution.

The group in question? Visa overstays.

These immigrants, who enter countries legally on student, tourist, or work visas and then stay past their visa’s expiration date, are often overlooked in the discussion of illegal immigration. But in the past 10 years, visa overstays in the United States have outnumbered border crossings by a ratio of about 2 to 1
https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2019/04/real-immigration-crisis-people-overstaying-their-visas/587485/

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Totally agree @Donald . The problem in Thailand is that investigative journalism simply isn’t allowed. Hence we are stuck with stories which just about make news, or more likely glorified gossip. 

There is news in relation to one of the many deputy PM’s who is held in murder charges. Issues around Rohingya migrants stuck in a boat out at sea. Yet another Thai bus accident hurting a number of tourists (one for TAT to mention when booking) and a vote in the UN relating to Myanmar. All topical regional news items. 

Problem is Soidog the press in Thailand is not free. Publish a story the hiso do not like and you are looking at jail time.

Hence we get stories about minor stuff those with influence and power are happy for us to get. 

52 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Problem is Soidog the press in Thailand is not free. Publish a story the hiso do not like and you are looking at jail time.

Hence we get stories about minor stuff those with influence and power are happy for us to get. 

Yes I agree @Rookiescot, never going to get a Panorama or 60 Minutes type news.  However, all of the stories I listed were published in the Bangkok Post but topics that didn’t find their way on to here 😔😔

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes I agree @Rookiescot, never going to get a Panorama or 60 Minutes type news.  However, all of the stories I listed were published in the Bangkok Post but topics that didn’t find their way on to here 😔😔

Panorama in Thailand? The carnage would hold a fascinating beauty like a car crash.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Faz said:

First of all the answer is No. Most definitely not. And secondly not all expats in Thailand are US citizens. But making a big show of people overstaying as where they some hard core criminals that need to be caught and paraded on the news is pathetic and childish. And whoever seem to think that should be alright needs their head checked. Again, everybody should comply with the requirements of the country they want to live in, but everything should be handled in a way that is proportional.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donald said:

First of all the answer is No. Most definitely not. And secondly not all expats in Thailand are US citizens. But making a big show of people overstaying as where they some hard core criminals that need to be caught and paraded on the news is pathetic and childish. And whoever seem to think that should be alright needs their head checked. Again, everybody should comply with the requirements of the country they want to live in, but everything should be handled in a way that is proportional.

I agree. It's all low hanging fruit that's being picked on all fronts.

Big Joke took one incident that occurred a couple of months ago to convince the public and his superiors that he should be given free reign to pursue his pet project of old. It has led to people being arrested whose worst misdeed was to accidentally step on a budding tomato plant while gardening. I recall a foreign Asian was arrested for overstay and his crime apparently was selling somewhat overpriced lottery tickets (which resulted in a couple of headlines). That's hardly characteristic of a tactic working to prevent real crimes (after hundreds of similar pick-ups). If there's a high correlation between overstay and crime, where are the real criminals that were dug up? If the success rate is about 0 (and it seems to be), resources should be invested more wisely.

News dispensers are picking low hanging fruit mostly because they can't afford to do much more than skimming Facebook/twitter/other news dispensers and copying statements produced by government PR-outlets. Foreign-owned news sited additionally avoid very sensitive topics to protect themselves and their (foreign) employees from having their work permits being overly scrutinized (and possibly rejected for not playing along). That's understandable, but there's not even a pure Thai news outlet that comes close to being recognized as critical and investigative. As far as I know, no news agency got buried because the hi-so said so, so it mostly seems to be a financial and cultural thing to just "play along".

• Like 1