News Forum - Tourist police warn travellers of Thai scams

Thaiger

6 hours ago, Soidog said:

Well stick all you like. You mentioned the Cambridge Dictionary definition. Well here it is:

scam
noun [ C ]

UK  
an illegal plan for making money, especially one that involves trickingpeople:

The policeman tried to “Trick” me in to giving him money by falsely claiming I was speeding. His plan was also illegal. 

He attempted to Scam me. 

I agree it is a scam if they stopped you from speeding when you weren't

I would bet a lot of money you actually were 5555

And I would also agree they'd have no real evidence of it

32 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I agree it is a scam if they stopped you from speeding when you weren't

I would bet a lot of money you actually were 5555

And I would also agree they'd have no real evidence of it

😂😂. I’m not going to claim I never speed, but on this occasion I wasn’t. It’s a well know section south of Udon heading towards Khon Kaen. 

A few years ago I was driving to Rayong and got stopped by the police near Korat. I was banged to rights and somewhat surprisingly they had a proper covert speed camera set up and I was clocked doing 105km. Think the limit on that section of road was 80km. 500 baht paid and on my way and able to speed for the rest of the journey !!  

35 minutes ago, Soidog said:

😂😂. I’m not going to claim I never speed, but on this occasion I wasn’t. It’s a well know section south of Udon heading towards Khon Kaen. 

Yes it was well known they did the same thing on the way to Krabi from Patong

They would step out and pull people over

I got "scammed" in Cancun Mexico

I was speeding, but so was everyone else

They pulled me over and their "trick" is taking your license and telling you to go to police station next day

But they ask for cash to give it back

They wanted $300usd

I ended up giving them $50usd

Another time in Mexico, driving to airprort at like 4am, my wife and I went through a checkpoint that was empty

The two cops didn't speak one word of English. So I slowly said goodbye and just drove off after a 3mins awkward attempt at bribing me 5555

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

The two cops didn't speak one word of English. So I slowly said goodbye and just drove off after a 3mins awkward attempt at bribing me 5555

That works well in Thailand also. I was with an Aussie friend when we got stopped. We both pretended to only speak German. The copper tired his best to play charades and we just kept looking dumb (came naturally of course! ).  After a couple of minutes he realised he was wasting his time and waved us on😂😂

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

500 baht paid and on my way and able to speed for the rest of the journey !!  

This is interesting, I heard that in Thailand once you have been caught speeding and pay a fine you cannot be charged again for the rest of the day. 

Is this correct? 

8 hours ago, Mazz11 said:

This is interesting, I heard that in Thailand once you have been caught speeding and pay a fine you cannot be charged again for the rest of the day. 

Is this correct? 

I’ve been told this by a number of Thai friends and it seems to be the case. However, I’m unable to quote a particular law and it may be more a “custom and practice”? I personally wouldn’t wish to put it to the test and the law may only apply within the confines of the same police jurisdiction? In short, I really couldn’t confirm this as a fact.

It seems so utterly illogical and inconceivable that such a law would exist and so there is a high probability that it’s true !! 

• Thanks 1