News Forum - Phuket was Thailand’s top tourist spot this year

Thaiger

The world-renowned island province of Phuket was Thailand’s top tourism spot in the first 10 months of  2022. From January to October, Phuket drew 2.32 million international tourists to its shores, followed by Chonburi with 975,026 tourists, Surat Thani with 606,812 tourists, Songkhla with 581,808 tourists, and Chiang Mai with 496,111 tourists. Deputy government spokesperson Tipanan Sirichana said today that Phuket generated the most tourism income out of any province, with 127.9 billion baht. This was followed by Chonburi with 13.2 billion baht, Surat Thani with 7.5 billion baht, and Chiang Mai with 4.2 billion baht, and Songkhla with 3.6 […]

The story Phuket was Thailand’s top tourist spot this year as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

There is myself and at least one other Brit I have come across during the last month here in Phuket.

It is great being a minority culture here. 😀

Phuket is great 🎄

How could any other location compete with the government touting Phuket above every other location in the country?  It seems like the government itself has a hand in Phuket as much as they shove it to the front of every thing and every place.

Personally, I'm tired of hearing about the place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrStretch said:

How could any other location compete with the government touting Phuket above every other location in the country?  It seems like the government itself has a hand in Phuket as much as they shove it to the front of every thing and every place.

Personally, I'm tired of hearing about the place.

It can feel like that sometimes, but I much prefer Phuket to Chiang Mai. I visited Chiang Mai to see what all the fuss was about and I'm still lost as to why people rave about it.

7 hours ago, Poolie said:

It can feel like that sometimes, but I much prefer Phuket to Chiang Mai. I visited Chiang Mai to see what all the fuss was about and I'm still lost as to why people rave about it.

My favorite part of CM is I've always felt they don't do the fake kiss your ass a lot of Thailand does 

They don't make a fuss over you 

And there is not a lot or any areas that are all tourists/expats 

It seems it is always a mixed crowd

And for a Thai perspective 

My wife and son and MIL and his GF have all remarked how polite the Thais are in CM

13 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Each to their own. I found that the early closing and, I'd call it, indifference shown was a little off-putting.

Try not wearing your “I love dear leader Xi” T-shirt next time. Maybe they will be less indifferent 😂

Only joking @Poolie  

Phuket provides an excellent safe cheap hot tropical island paradise -type lifestyle with fine healthcare, nightlife and wild life. Only reasons I’m there; 
Bangkok Nightlife / Hotel & Krabi Weekends aside. Minimum interaction with anybody here bar Wife Son Friends.

An otherwise wretched despicable country……

No Interest in Thai People Culture Tourists Food Politics Islands Govt Customs History Drugs Roads Traffic Cities Sea Rivers Markets Temples Golf Forests Religion ……

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Poolie said:

Those who know, know. If you can't see it, you never will.

That is not a negative comment - as always, it is horses for courses.

I hate Phuket.....based on Patong, too many tourists, rip offs, taxi mafia etc. I love Khao Lak and the beautiful beaches around Phuket.

Chiang Mai has an olde world charm and the extended province offers delightful scenery. Whilst I prefer Chiang Rai and Pai, I do visit Chiang Mai at least once a year.

22 hours ago, Chaimai said:

Those who know, know. If you can't see it, you never will.

That is not a negative comment - as always, it is horses for courses.

I hate Phuket.....based on Patong, too many tourists, rip offs, taxi mafia etc. I love Khao Lak and the beautiful beaches around Phuket.

Chiang Mai has an olde world charm and the extended province offers delightful scenery. Whilst I prefer Chiang Rai and Pai, I do visit Chiang Mai at least once a year.

Out of interest, why do you love Khao Lak

I've only been once and only for 2 days this May when very quiet still

Now I loved our beach, very long and big with some local beach restaurants and bars

But I was turned off by very limited walkable area for bars/restaurants

It seemed everything was up on that big main road

45 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Out of interest, why do you love Khao Lak

I've only been once and only for 2 days this May when very quiet still

Now I loved our beach, very long and big with some local beach restaurants and bars

But I was turned off by very limited walkable area for bars/restaurants

It seemed everything was up on that big main road

The quietness is part of it, together with the beauty of the beach and sea. On my first two visits I stayed at the Golden Coconut resort about a kilometre from the beach. During the Covid period I managed to get the JW Marriott for 1,700 Baht a night so I stayed there a couple of times - right on the beach, excellent breakfast etc, etc. Pam's restaurant 'nearby' is excellent. But you are right, you need to go further afield for bars and a wider selection of restaurants - only a 10 minute motocy ride to Ban Niang? 

Walking on the beach is good exercise, stopping off at Memories (beach bar) for a mango smoothie - or a beer.

The area is totally tourist dependent and last January JW Marriott was at 25/30% occupancy (which was OK), the previous March I went and was the only person staying at Golden Coconut and the town of Ban Niang was desolate - no bars open and only two massage shops, it was like a ghost town.

12 hours ago, Chaimai said:

The quietness is part of it, together with the beauty of the beach and sea. On my first two visits I stayed at the Golden Coconut resort about a kilometre from the beach. During the Covid period I managed to get the JW Marriott for 1,700 Baht a night so I stayed there a couple of times - right on the beach, excellent breakfast etc, etc. Pam's restaurant 'nearby' is excellent. But you are right, you need to go further afield for bars and a wider selection of restaurants - only a 10 minute motocy ride to Ban Niang? 

Walking on the beach is good exercise, stopping off at Memories (beach bar) for a mango smoothie - or a beer.

The area is totally tourist dependent and last January JW Marriott was at 25/30% occupancy (which was OK), the previous March I went and was the only person staying at Golden Coconut and the town of Ban Niang was desolate - no bars open and only two massage shops, it was like a ghost town.

I would happily go back with my wife for a long weekend

We stayed at Avani +, which was really nice

And I liked the Outrigger Hotel was next door with a good bar on the beach and a local Thai restaurant right on the beach as well

But I do prefer a more walkable area of town..............

• Like 1