News Forum - New Zealand passes law to prevent future generations from buying tobacco

Thaiger

New Zealand has passed a law that prevents future generations from buying tobacco. The particular ban on purchasing tobacco is just one law that is part of the country’s new cluster of regulations that focus on curbing smoking. The law passed in Parliament yesterday and is now considered one of the strictest measures taken against buying tobacco in the world. According to the Straits Times, other laws in the cluster include bans on selling tobacco to anyone born on or after January 1, 2009. If that law is broken, it will be punishable by a fine of up to NZ […]

The story New Zealand passes law to prevent future generations from buying tobacco as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

If you are a kiwi then take out all your savings and buy tobacco. It will soar in value in the coming years. Better than Gold I would imagine.

Surely it will be reversed before it comes to this? A ban is so incredibly backwards.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Wackamole said:

Surely it will be reversed before it comes to this? A ban is so incredibly backwards.

The current and outgoing Labour government is making laws which will likely be reversed by the Nationals.

Meanwhile drug use, meth, ice etc flourishes and will likely replace tobacco and alcohol as cheaper alternatives.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

So the answer is grow your own? 

I think the answer is a) quit smoking, b) move to another country or c) buddy up with as many old folk as you can. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

I think the answer is a) quit smoking, b) move to another country or c) buddy up with as many old folk as you can. 

How about start smoking cigars? I love a good cigar sometimes. I would pick C. 

• Like 1

Yes Nanny, I am sorry Nanny, I won't do it again Nanny.... As an ex-smoker of more decades than I care to remember I understand the addictive nature of nicotine - I vape these days, but still sometimes crave the real thing. But prohibition never works - it just drives the demand underground.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

How about start smoking cigars? I love a good cigar sometimes. I would pick C. 

I was a cigar smoker for many years, mainly of an evening with a beer.  The TG said I could have her or cigars, not both.  Been married 12 years now.

37 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

But prohibition never works - it just drives the demand underground.

Correct.  Will be interesting to see what Big Tobacco have to say (and do) about it.

2 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

I was a cigar smoker for many years, mainly of an evening with a beer.  The TG said I could have her or cigars, not both.  Been married 12 years now.

Correct.  Will be interesting to see what Big Tobacco have to say (and do) about it.

Hahahaha. Yeah good choice. Better to let her smoke the cigar. : )

My wife doesn't care what I do as long as it is not everyday or even several times a week, and they (family) don't see it or smell it. If I do smoke, I will always wait until late night when everyone is in bed and retired to their rooms to get my little buzz. A cigar is once in a blue moon for me but I do like them alot.

• Haha 1