News Forum - Woman allegedly nabs 100,000 baht in money and valuables from dating app match in Pattaya

Thaiger

Another crime involving a dating app has occurred in Thailand, this time in Pattaya. A woman allegedly nabbed money and valuables worth 100,000 baht from a man she met via a dating app.  The poor man targeted, Jack, told Pattaya City Police yesterday he thought he had met a nice woman named ‘Plaeng.’ Jack said that he and Plaeng talked for a week before they agreed to meet in Pattaya.  But Jack was in for a few surprises. He said that when Plaeng arrived at his hotel room, she “wore a face mask all the time and did not appear […]

The story Woman allegedly nabs 100,000 baht in money and valuables from dating app match in Pattaya as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

But Jack was in for a few surprises. He said that when Plaeng arrived at his hotel room, she wore a face mask all the time and did not appear to look like her profile photos

And it was at that stage that he decided to leave her alone in the room with his phone and thousands of bths lying around. Is it really possible to be that stupid? Or is there more to that story?

32 minutes ago, Manu said:

And it was at that stage that he decided to leave her alone in the room with his phone and thousands of bths lying around. Is it really possible to be that stupid? Or is there more to that story?

I really hope that there is more to this story because honestly, how stupid can someone be.

11 minutes ago, Mazz11 said:

I really hope that there is more to this story because honestly, how stupid can someone be.

Yeah, that was exactly my thought when i read this article.

Looks like only 30% of the story is out from him. Rule of dating stranger is....just don't trust them. Looks like some understanding personal business dealings between them. Apparently one party looses more than it supposed to be or never get the value for the investment....

7 hours ago, Manu said:

Did you actually read the story?

She took the phone and transferred money via app. 

Not saying the guy wasn't an idiot for not meeting in a public place, but there wasn't loads of money lying around. 

It is a one sided version of what probably happened, that is my guess.

It seems strange to me to meet for the first time in a bedroom, what is wrong with a coffee shop for instance if as the guy claims she was a decent woman and not an online sex worker.

He claims he left his phone behind, the money in his account should have been safe as for example my Bangkok banking app is set up to recognise my face as security but before we get to the app the phone needs to be unlocked by a six digit pin.

It could be the woman (if it did turn out to be a woman) somehow got him to transfer the money to her account and then did a runner, he might have been too embarrassed to tell the truth.

The police are probably having a good old laugh over it as they must see this every day and can also read between the lines of his report.

People like this make me laugh.