News Forum - Zookeeper seeks compensation after being bitten by wild monkeys

Thaiger

A zookeeper is demanding compensation from Khao Kheow Open Zoo in Chon Buri after she got bitten by wild monkeys at work. The animal keeper said she paid nearly 100,000 baht for treatment but got only 3,000 baht from her employer in return. A 54 year old woman named Mon, who worked at Khao Kheow Open Zoo, yesterday filed a complaint with the non-profit organization Pavena Foundation for Children and Women. Mon explained that the wild monkeys living outside the zoo would often get into the zoo, annoy visitors, and attack staff. Mon said she was attacked twice within two […]

The story Zookeeper seeks compensation after being bitten by wild monkeys as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

A monkey stole a snack from a child, so she tried to protect the visitor and threw a rock at it.

That quote refers to the first incident. I don't really see how throwing a rock at a monkey, snack or child can offer retroactive protection, so I guess she wanted to contribute to a future solution.

14 stitches is quite impressive, but unless throwing rocks (explicitly or even implicitly) is part of the job-description any compensation by the zoo would have to be voluntary. It wasn't compensated the first time around, so the smart thing to do would have been to play it safe next time. Instead, for the next incident the same person used a catapult to invite an assault leading to over twice as many stitches. (Still, the consistency on both sides can be admired.)

Even if the incidents don't quite qualify as a work-related, it would be the right thing to do for the zoo to offer a substantial compensation. In addition, both parties (the zookeeper and the monkeys) should be offered some anger management therapy. Barring that, some protective tasers make sense (but they're mostly illegal now, so the government would first need to introduce more exemptions).

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

A zookeeper is demanding compensation from Khao Kheow Open Zoo in Chon Buri after she got bitten by wild monkeys at work.

What job were the wild monkeys actually doing?
I bet they weren't just wild, but probably livid.

My first encounter with this type of monkey was on Bali decades ago and that one time turned me against to not be a fan of them one little bit. And I was pretty fearless, young and strong back then and they still were too much for my liking. Sorry - but Euthanize them all. 

• Like 2