News Forum - VIDEO: Taxi meter rises suspiciously quickly in Bangkok, Thailand

Thaiger

10 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Of course it's relevant, it is the reason one is allowed to operate at the airport and one is not

Every airport in the world charges fees/concessions to operate there

Thailand is no different

OK. CM cannot..

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Every airport in the world charges fees/concessions to operate there

I don’t believe any fees are charged in the U.K. to taxis who operate from and to the airport. The only thing they are charged is drop off fees which is the same as any private car dropping someone off. The taxis have to pay that but are allowed to pass that charge on to the customer. Taxis don’t pay the airports to operate in to or out of the airport. 

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

I don’t believe any fees are charged in the U.K. to taxis who operate from and to the airport. The only thing they are charged is drop off fees which is the same as any private car dropping someone off. The taxis have to pay that but are allowed to pass that charge on to the customer. Taxis don’t pay the airports to operate in to or out of the airport. 

And that's a concession......

It makes them less competitive vs a ride share if they ride share doesn't have to pay it and can charge less

That's always been the case in any of these protests 

And they all have mostly been resolved by making the ride shares pay or making them pick up in a non curb-side space 

Which will happen at some point in Thailand as it has everywhere once ride shares became prevalent 

I prefer taking ride shares when I travel for business for expense/receipts purposes 

But airports all over the US have different rules, mostly based on these fees

I hate having to walk with my luggage to a chaotic area looking for my ride share car

So unless the ride share is able to pick me up curb side I take a taxi

6 hours ago, Marc26 said:

It makes them less competitive vs a ride share if they ride share doesn't have to pay it and can charge less

A ride share does have to pay. Everyone has to pay, even I do if I drop a friend off at the airport.

I agree everything should be equal in terms of charges and concessions. Companies like Grab would kill the normal taxi companies unless they changed their ways in Thailand. With Grab you don’t have to fight to have the meter on. You don’t get a refusal to pick you up at the side of the road because they don’t like your destination. That’s already established while you are sat in the air-con in the coffee shop. If they do t line it they do t accept your ride. There’s no haggling over toll fees. If you leave your bag you know who the driver was and can call them. If it’s a woman travelling alone, they are much safer as there’s a record who she travelled with.

Grab and Uber’s operating model is the future and normal taxi companies need to adopt it or lose a lot of business.  

yet only 500 of the 2,500 taxis registered at Don Mueang Airport are actually in service,

Simple solution is to CANCEL their registration for service by notification.

Then follow up enforcement against the 2,000 registered taxis NOT supplying a service.

ie prevention of access to the airport for pickups.

Guarantee a reaction.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been in many countries with rigged meters.  I am not sure how it works nowadays -- if all meters are pre-rigged or just many ... but the problem is quite pervasive including in Bangkok.  If you know that you are vulnerable to such treatment then it's better to sign up for Grab or Bolt taxi -- which have their own problems like differential rate schemes, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken BKK taxis from airport for years never a problem until encountering that jerk with a rigged meter in November. Chiang Mai airport taxi has fair fixed rates if you want somethinthing else just an easy walk out the parking lot to Mahidon (airport road). 

App services are not allowed to pickup at the airport there..