News Forum - Restaurant in Japan urges Thai tourists to flush tissues down the toilet

Thaiger

The owner of a restaurant in Japan urged Thai tourists to flush their used tissues down the toilet when using his bathroom. The appeal surprised many Thai people as used paper towels are not allowed to be flushed down the toilet in Thailand. A Thai woman, married to a Japanese restauranteur on Hokkaido Island, sent a message to the admin of the Hokkaido Fanclub Facebook on December 3 urging Thai tourists not to flush tissues down their toilet when visiting. The woman said… “Please help me spread this information about how to dispose of used tissues in Japan, especially in […]

The story Restaurant in Japan urges Thai tourists to flush tissues down the toilet as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

20 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The owner of a restaurant in Japan urged Thai tourists to flush their used tissues down the toilet when using his bathroom

This seems rather vague, not that I have ever visited Japan.
Does 'used tissues' refer to toilet paper, sanitary towels, and/or hand towels?
A sewerage system can handle toilet paper, not certain about the rest.
Do the Japanese not use the bum squirter installed in most Thai toilets?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Do the Japanese not use the bum squirter installed in most Thai toilets?

No, there aren’t any ass blasters in Japan. Just the bidet type contraptions.

I’ve never heard any request to flush tissues down the toilet here, either. 

A lot of odd people and insistent rule-driven ideologies in Japan, especially the further north and east you go. That may be an issue here, too.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

No, there aren’t any ass blasters in Japan. Just the bidet type contraptions.

I’ve never heard any request to flush tissues down the toilet here, either. 

A lot of odd people and insistent rule-driven ideologies in Japan, especially the further north and east you go. That may be an issue here, too.

Surely that should be - 'That may be a tissue here, too' 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

I was blown away at how regimented they were

Landed ar Haneda 1st time ever in Japan

Went downstairs to get a bus to Shinjuku 

I found the bay for Shinjuku 

I kid you not I was the only one waiting and the I was about 2 feet from the line marking

And the girl was on the microphone standing in front me asking me to move the 2ft,  and I was still the only one there!

At they franchise bar The Hub

You order your beer and then pick it up about 3 feet to your right 

The guy poured the beer where I ordered it, I reached out to grab it and he motioned me to wall over the 3 feet, where he would also walk over to hand me the beer!   😀

I found it quite amusing really. ...

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I kid you not I was the only one waiting and the I was about 2 feet from the line marking

And the girl was on the microphone standing in front me asking me to move the 2ft,  and I was still the only one there!

The guy poured the beer where I ordered it, I reached out to grab it and he motioned me to wall over the 3 feet, where he would also walk over to hand me the beer!   😀

First it will amuse. Then the hopeless act  of asking  "why"?. Then resistance, maybe anger .

Eventually the rules and order become comforting.

Like 5 stages of acceptance.

5 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Ah, the comforts of ritualized public order 😁

There are some bright spots though. If you mention “Osaka” (especially south Osaka) to a Tokyoite, you’ll get nervous laughter and some uneasiness. 

They regard Osaka as chaotic because a lot of folk there regard these kinds of rules with disdain.

4 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Ah, the comforts of ritualized public order 😁

There are some bright spots though. If you mention “Osaka” (especially south Osaka) to a Tokyoite, you’ll get nervous laughter and some uneasiness. 

They regard Osaka as chaotic because a lot of folk there regard these kinds of rules with disdain.

My favorite movie in the world is Lost in Translation 

And I couldn't believe I was basically living out a scene from that movie about 20mins from landing in Japan for my 1st time

It was hilarious 😂 

• Like 1