News Forum - 9 year olds smoke cannabis on Pattaya Beach in Thailand

Thaiger

Netizens are concerned about the safety of children after pictures of a group of 9 and 10 year olds smoking cannabis from a bamboo bong on Pattaya Beach in Chon Buri province, eastern Thailand, went viral on social media. Thailand delisted cannabis as an illicit narcotic in June to allow the public to utilise the plant’s medicinal properties. But without much prior planning, little to no legislation to regulate marijuana use – or to protect young children from using cannabis – was implemented. One clear rule is that cannabis cannot be sold or used by anyone under 20 years old. […]

The story 9 year olds smoke cannabis on Pattaya Beach in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Where are the parents in allowing these Thai children to do this?  No legislation will change this behavior by Thai children.  I'm quite sure a few of us on this forum went against our parents wishes and smoked cigarettes and/or drank alcohol under age.  Some of us most likely got caught as well and got punished.

I'm sure most Thai parents don't allow their children to smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol under age (or I would hope so).  Society should frown upon this behavior and schools should reinforce.

Legislation is in place to not sell ganja to kids as it is for cigarettes and alcohol.  What else can be done?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Netizens are concerned about the safety of children after pictures of a group of 9 and 10 year olds smoking cannabis from a bamboo bong on Pattaya Beach in Chon Buri province, eastern Thailand, went viral on social media. Thailand delisted cannabis as an illicit narcotic in June to allow the public to utilise the plant’s medicinal properties. But without much prior planning, little to no legislation to regulate marijuana use – or to protect young children from using cannabis – was implemented. One clear rule is that cannabis cannot be sold or used by anyone under 20 years old. […]

The story 9 year olds smoke cannabis on Pattaya Beach in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Is this any different to kids experimenting with tobacco? Given that precocious kids do before they are teenagers... 

• Like 1

Congratulations Thailand on your latest achievement by delisting cannabis. It is a good KPI achievement for those who strongly back-up the process. This is only the tip of the iceberg......more to surface soon

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

image.png.6fd8d0f3cf50dd4368bd3c7ca9e0c80f.png

Looks like the kid also has a tattoo. where is the law against that? These kids are destined to be gang touble kids. Don't blame the shops that sell weed. Blame the parents.

• Like 3

This isn't due to the legalisation of cannabis - this just emphasises the need for proper childcare in Thailand. There are thousands of children at risk still in this country.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

image.png.6fd8d0f3cf50dd4368bd3c7ca9e0c80f.png

Looks like the kid also has a tattoo. where is the law against that? These kids are destined to be gang touble kids. Don't blame the shops that sell weed. Blame the parents.

if they have parents

no social care schemes worth mentioning in Thailand

4 hours ago, cowslip said:

if they have parents

no social care schemes worth mentioning in Thailand

And whose fault is that? I’ll have a stab at the Thais. Certainly not my fault. 

• Like 1

Big problems looming in the future in Thailand due to the lax control of cannabis, my son started smoking dope when he was 16 I couldn’t get him to stop he is now 38 and not in a good place mentally he has only by his own admission ever touched the ‘green’ but is now practically unemployable. 

18 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Congratulations Thailand on your latest achievement by delisting cannabis. It is a good KPI achievement for those who strongly back-up the process. This is only the tip of the iceberg......more to surface soon

Stupid is what stupid do... this is about Thai parents not cannabis... 

55 minutes ago, Smiler said:

Big problems looming in the future in Thailand due to the lax control of cannabis, my son started smoking dope when he was 16 I couldn’t get him to stop he is now 38 and not in a good place mentally he has only by his own admission ever touched the ‘green’ but is now practically unemployable. 

Personal choice... my son died of a fentanyl overdose... no one made him do it... sad but true

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smiler said:

More to than that I would think with your son. That is nonsense as smoking weed doesn't make you unemployable (unless drug tests), but lack of motivation and the need to succeed does, and could be bad choice of friends. Did your son go to school past high school? And how much were you ever round to help guide him and push him into a trade or help set something up for him if you could? Where are you from and where is your son at? USA is a dog eat dog world as that is where I am from, but one needs to keep motivated. 

My son here is my best friend and I always supported him in everything from sports to activities in school, and he is a normal kid about to graduate University, and he lives at home. And he knows I do like a spliff every so often and he does have the freedom to try it if he wants, but I do not say either no or yes as up to him as long as he keeps it all in check as I do keep tabs on him. But he doesn't it and won't. He doesn't really like to drink either, but he knows he can if he wants, but just not allowed to drive after. So your statement of Thainland has problems looming in the future about opening up about weed is incorrect, that is all about alcohol here if anything, and lastly parenting. But yes, being a parent is never easy.

1 hour ago, Skip said:

Personal choice... my son died of a fentanyl overdose... no one made him do it... sad but true

Sorrry to hear that.

12 hours ago, Soidog said:

And whose fault is that? I’ll have a stab at the Thais. Certainly not my fault. 

Don't see how your comment is relevant to anything I posted.

10 hours ago, Smiler said:

Well according to a lot of people on this thread, blame the parents.

1 hour ago, cowslip said:

Don't see how your comment is relevant to anything I posted.

Hi said there were no social care schemes in Thailand. That’s what I commented on. As in the fact that these failures are failures of Thai society overall. 

Still have no idea why you are talking about - "And whose fault is that? I’ll have a stab at the Thais. Certainly not my fault. " - so why has that got to do with anything?

11 minutes ago, cowslip said:

Still have no idea why you are talking about - "And whose fault is that? I’ll have a stab at the Thais. Certainly not my fault. " - so why has that got to do with anything?

Don’t worry mate…