News Forum - Indian pervs arrested after harassing tourist in Mumbai

Thaiger

On 12/3/2022 at 12:11 AM, Marc26 said:

She should have been more aware of where she was and her surroundings 

She probably should have been. Some years ago in Nepal I talked with one woman who had been raped in India but bizarrely excused it on the grounds of the sexualised images that Indians see of Western women, and two other women travelling together who described their experience of getting on a bus in India as "a mass of hands trying to get into their clothes and bags".  

4 hours ago, Skip said:

So it is her fault... and it was just a scare with no harm done... you ARE part of the problem

fine fine. I AM part of the problem

On 12/1/2022 at 2:35 PM, Marc26 said:

I didn't have any issues at all in India as a tourist...........it was quite pleasant, actually

Perhaps because you were not accompanied by an attractive blonde girl. I did travel for months there some years ago with my ex blonde gf, I am still wondering how I did manage not to have a single fight, plenty of heated situations and bad words exchanged though. Obviously, it is a small minority, the problem is that a small minority of 1.4 billion people, it is far too many.

On another note, I am wondering how this is making a news on an online news outlet related to Thailand.

1 hour ago, Manu said:

Perhaps because you were not accompanied by an attractive blonde girl. I did travel for months there some years ago with my ex blonde gf, I am still wondering how I did manage not to have a single fight, plenty of heated situations and bad words exchanged though. Obviously, it is a small minority, the problem is that a small minority of 1.4 billion people, it is far too many.

On another note, I am wondering how this is making a news on an online news outlet related to Thailand.

I can understand 

My Thai wife lived in Milan for 2 years 

She said guys would yell out of windows to her on a daily basis 

I guess we've been "trained " in North America 

That would never happen (nowadays)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Skip said:

So it is her fault... and it was just a scare with no harm done... you ARE part of the problem

I agree with the sentiment of what you are saying @Skip . Women should be free to walk around without the fear of unwanted attention and harassment and even assault she endured. This woman did nothing that should be regarded as wrong. 

This topic however is one of those top social issues which divides. It is almost impossible to have a debate on a forum as the points made are often subtle and it’s difficult to translate that to text. 

The reason why this is a difficult topic is that it’s not a simple black or white issue. The truth is that there are millions of times a day when men and women do want to attract each others attention. When they do want to get a bit closer to each other. The problem is with people who either won’t take No for an answer, or don’t have the social capacity to pick up on the body language and unspoken feedback that says, I’m uncomfortable and please leave me alone. Add to this what many countries excuse as “cultural differences” and it becomes a multidimensional issue. As with most social issue in life, education, good parenting and enforcement of laws are key.