News Forum - Percentage of HIV infections rising among young Thais

Thaiger

In a worrying new trend, the percentage of AIDS infections has been rising among young Thais. According to the director of the Disease Control Department’s Division of AIDS, nearly two thirds of new HIV infections are in young people.  The director, Dr Cheewanan Lertpiriyasuwat, said this was much higher than the global average of around 30%. One HIV/AIDS prevention organisation, M Plus, has said that out of 250 new HIV infections detected in the northern city of Phitsanulok, more than 60 per cent were in students. According to the AIDS Epidemic Model, about 6,500 Thai citizens are likely to have […]

The story Percentage of HIV infections rising among young Thais as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

The president, Apiwat Kwangkaew, believes some people may have stopped coming for antiretrovirals because they were worried about the stigma attached to anti-AIDS medication. 

Stigma from meds? ie: dying is preferable?

The stigma from HIV infection & HIV medication is the direct result of poor education and also a lack of access to alternative medication. Successful treatment with a once daily tablet reduces the viral load to undetectable levels (VL<75) and that means transmitting HIV to another person is impossible and the infected person’s immune system can rebuild so there will be no progression to AIDS. That is how the world can stop the spread of HIV. For HIV infected people that have difficulty sticking to regime of a daily tablet there is a bi-monthly injection available. There are PREP (pre exposure) tablets available for uninfected people that engage in high risk behavior. 

• Like 2

I was told yesterday that STI infections in the UK,  in the over 65's have gone up 20%

My ex-missus told her 83 year old mother to take a condom out with her  - just in case she pulls!

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Fanta said:

The stigma from HIV infection & HIV medication is the direct result of poor education and also a lack of access to alternative medication. Successful treatment with a once daily tablet reduces the viral load to undetectable levels (VL<75) and that means transmitting HIV to another person is impossible and the infected person’s immune system can rebuild so there will be no progression to AIDS. That is how the world can stop the spread of HIV. For HIV infected people that have difficulty sticking to regime of a daily tablet there is a bi-monthly injection available. There are PREP (pre exposure) tablets available for uninfected people that engage in high risk behavior. 

Thais - Saving Face -Shyness -Denial - poor education, we have a "blow out."

The Thai health department did manage to bring it under control with the last generation, hopefully they can do it again. 😒

• Like 1

2 hours ago, palooka said:

Thais - Saving Face -Shyness -Denial - poor education, we have a "blow out."

The Thai health department did manage to bring it under control with the last generation, hopefully they can do it again. 😒

We have 2 good comparisons

My wife knows 2 people with HIV in Thailand, and both said they were not treated very well when seeking medical advice, there was a stigma

Then one of her very close friends in Vancouver got HIV and we helped them right from the start

It was mind blowing how incredible and caring every single medical professional the girl had to deal with here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Didn't the government is providing free condoms to its people, especially the younger generations to avoid such incidences?

The issue is people don't see HIV as a death sentence anymore, which is a good thing

But it has made younger people less vigilant towards safe sex

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 9:41 AM, Fanta said:

https://jermwarfare.com/podcast/david-rasnick-hiv-aids
Watch this House of Cards documentary film about AIDS and you will be shocked. Firstly there is no accurate test for HIV, and in fact there is no proof that HIV actually exists. The scientist accredited with isolating the virus is now I considered by much of the scientific community as being wrong. In 1990 the pharmaceutical industry needed another earner to keep their industry in the money, and AIDS was chosen for that. Everyone thinks about Freddie Mercury when it comes to AIDS, but he died of a poor hedonistic lifestyle, poor diet and AZT poisoning, AZT being the approved medication which ended up killing everyone who took it! You will find a lot of similarities between the current Covid vaccine rollout and how AIDS was dealt with. In this world you have to think on your feet about what you put into your body and what you believe. Follow the money.

3 hours ago, Cg66 said:

https://jermwarfare.com/podcast/david-rasnick-hiv-aids
Watch this House of Cards documentary film about AIDS and you will be shocked. Firstly there is no accurate test for HIV, and in fact there is no proof that HIV actually exists. The scientist accredited with isolating the virus is now I considered by much of the scientific community as being wrong. In 1990 the pharmaceutical industry needed another earner to keep their industry in the money, and AIDS was chosen for that. Everyone thinks about Freddie Mercury when it comes to AIDS, but he died of a poor hedonistic lifestyle, poor diet and AZT poisoning, AZT being the approved medication which ended up killing everyone who took it! You will find a lot of similarities between the current Covid vaccine rollout and how AIDS was dealt with. In this world you have to think on your feet about what you put into your body and what you believe. Follow the money.

What a certifiable whackjob

It blows my mind there are functional people walking around that think like this.

Like it blows my mind you have been employed and lived a normal life and still spout this nonsense

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marc26 said:

What a certifiable whackjob

It blows my mind there are functional people walking around that think like this.

Like it blows my mind you have been employed and lived a normal life and still spout this nonsense

HIV is a retrovirus and there are thousands of them. Never in the history of the world has a retrovirus caused an infection. Watch the documentary before you comment. AIDS medications have cost the USA a quarter of $1 trillion dollars. 90% of those on AIDS medications have done worse than those on no medication at all. Most of those have died of liver failure caused by their medications. Do some research before excepting the narrative that made the drugs companies a fortune.

46 minutes ago, Cg66 said:

HIV is a retrovirus and there are thousands of them. Never in the history of the world has a retrovirus caused an infection. Watch the documentary before you comment. AIDS medications have cost the USA a quarter of $1 trillion dollars. 90% of those on AIDS medications have done worse than those on no medication at all. Most of those have died of liver failure caused by their medications. Do some research before excepting the narrative that made the drugs companies a fortune.

Mate, you are insane. Can someone do something about this unsubstantiated nonsense please. A worldwide crisis back in the 80’s and 90’s and this nut job is saying it’s not real. Anyway you should go, that’s Elvis knocking on your door! 

7 hours ago, Cg66 said:

I will repeat

You are a whack job 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Soidog said:

Mate, you are insane. Can someone do something about this unsubstantiated nonsense please. A worldwide crisis back in the 80’s and 90’s and this nut job is saying it’s not real. Anyway you should go, that’s Elvis knocking on your door! 

8 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I will repeat

You are a whack job 

It’s easier to fool someone than to get them to admit they’ve been fooled. You haven’t researched any of the links I’ve sent, have you? You’re just repeating the narrative that was fed to you by the Pharma industry. Lazy brains seem to lurk here. Why bother thinking for yourself when others can tell you what to think? did you want that swampland in Florida?

6 minutes ago, Cg66 said:

It’s easier to fool someone than to get them to admit they’ve been fooled. You haven’t researched any of the links I’ve sent, have you? You’re just repeating the narrative that was fed to you by the Pharma industry. Lazy brains seem to lurk here. Why bother thinking for yourself when others can tell you what to think? did you want that swampland in Florida?

I have seen first hand the effects of HIV in the 1980’s. I don’t need to look at some conspiracy theory links you have sent. You obviously seem to think all independent health agencies around the world are all conspiring with the Pharma industry. No single individual has decided to be a whistle blower. Every sick patient and devastated family have all gone along with “the narrative”.

I genuinely feel sorry for people with a mindset like yours. The world must be a painful place where you question everything and then dive on to the internet to find like minded people. I’m sure you can also find people who still believe the world to be flat and the moon made out of cheese. Conspiracy theorists can never answer basic questions relating to how the millions of people engaged in the conspiracy can possibly be kept on message.  

HIV is real. Covid 19 is real. The world is a sphere. Man has landed in the moon and  Elvis is dead. Prince Philip wasn’t an alien and the pyramids weren’t built by aliens either. Do something useful with you life and stop believing all this nonsense. It does you no good in the end. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Poolie said:

Now, now boys. Temper, temper. It's nice to be nice.

Listen when someone is posting clear misinformation nonsense

They need to be called out appropriately 

The guy is a whackjob, plain and simple 

As adults, it's our duty to call out crap like that so they might keep their trap shut with such nonsense the next time

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Poolie said:

Now, now boys. Temper, temper. It's nice to be nice.

This is also goes to a deeper issue in our society today where morons denigrate experts 

The medical advancement in combating and treating HIV is one of the biggest medical achievements in our lifetime 

It went from a deadly disease with no treatment to medication making it now just a chronic disease(akin to diabetes) in just 2-decades

So it's important  to shut down morons who spout lies and nonsense 

• Like 1