News Forum - Angry Thai man condemns foreigner for not wearing a mask on BTS

Thaiger

An angry Thai man, claiming to be a police officer, gave a foreign man a mouthful of abuse for not wearing a mask on the BTS Skytrain in Bangkok. The irate man blamed the unflustered foreigner for bringing Covid-19 into the country. The angry exchange was recorded and uploaded to the Twitter account @kinnifers. The video was recorded by a mask-wearing friend of the maskless foreigner. In the video, the angry Thai man said… “I’m an officer, see (unzipping his jacket to show the reflective vest with a Royal Thai police symbol). Are people from your country like this? Thai […]

The story Angry Thai man condemns foreigner for not wearing a mask on BTS as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I am amazed that we haven't seen stories like this more often.

The Military Government made it quite clear that Covid came from 'Foreigners', the Minister of Health remarked negatively on more than one occasion about foreigners, and the anti-Covid campaign was along the lines of 'Protect yourself from the Foreign Disease'.

Times are tough for the Thai people, and when times are tough...

...blame the 'Others'.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

The Military Government made it quite clear that Covid came from 'Foreigners', the Minister of Health remarked negatively on more than one occasion about foreigners, and the anti-Covid campaign was along the lines of 'Protect yourself from the Foreign Disease'.

...blame the 'Others'.

It was made quite clear that this was a Chinese virus:-

I seem to recall that in January 2020 there were 6,000 tourists in Pattaya from Wuhan.

On 13 January 2020, Thailand reported that a Wuhan resident who travelled to Bangkok on 8 January had tested positive for the SARS-CoV-2 virus. This was the first COVID-19 case detected outside China.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/country-case-studies/thailand-c19-case-study-20-september.pdf?sfvrsn=d5534183_2&download=true

The first Thai case was a woman returning from Wuhan.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1841199/first-thai-infected-with-coronavirus

• Like 6

According to the update, 4,914 people have been infected.

And the rest. Probably in our Province alone we have these figures.  Running riot through the local schools at the moment but they are being sensible and if you test negative for three days running you are deemed fit to return to society.  Luckily it is the milder versions. 😀

• Like 3

There are two issues presented: One is wearing of mask on BTS and the other is foreign involvement in spread of Covid.

BTS asks people to wear masks. Public health asks people to wear masks. Some foreigners respond, with why? There is no law, so you can't make me.  This is  selfish and disrespectful attitude. Locals do not share the westerner's concept of individual  interest before community. BTS is subject to operator standards, same as not wearing bikini or going topless on BTS. In this case, the BTS can get very crowded, and BTS makes the rules, so wear a mask.

In respect to foreign spread, yes westerners were responsible for spread of Covid in tourist resorts. The fact that they are believed to have been infected in the EU by Chinese visitors is another issue. (The origin of Covid for Koh Samui and Phuket was believed to be that Italian tourists brought the infection, infecting other Europeans and locals.) Chinese were thought have introduced in the areas they visited. 

The reality now is that Covid 19 is endemic so spread is local. However, Thais can and do watch the news and are aware of the new super Covid strain isolated in South African HIV patients and new Chinese strains and  many are worried. Just as westerners  have gone nuts about Covid19 with their riots and crazy conspiracy claims, so too are some Thais susceptible to similar. For peace of existence, just wear a mask in crowded Thai locations. I do it and so do most of the foreigners around me. We just don't wear when walking in open area like beach or uncrowded zone. Easy compromise and to be honest with all the unvaccinated Russians  around coughing up  a lung I wish they wore the masks.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Angry 1

After years of propaganda about how deadly covid is (its not) and how wearing face masks help (it doesnt) I am amazed this doesnt happen more often as well.  The problem with government propaganda and disinformation is that at some point it bubbles over and causes real harm.   

• Like 7

1 hour ago, MrNovax said:

After years of propaganda about how deadly covid is (its not)

You've obviously not had a relative, close friend or loved one die from Covid, otherwise you may think differently.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Haven't worn a mask in Thailand for ages. The only place I did was going in Superrich to change some cash a couple of months ago. Never experienced any problems BTS and all. 

There's always one local nutter around. 

I'd probably have laughed at the guy if he'd had a go at me... 

How about a story on the countless thai people that couldn't care less if a foreigner wears a mask or not, but there's no clickbait in that is there. 

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

How about a story on the countless thai people that couldn't care less if a foreigner wears a mask or not, but there's no clickbait in that is there. 

I'd say they would be very few

I don't think they care if you are following the rules, when it is not mandated

But I do think the vast majority do care in a situation like this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

...blame the 'Others'.

There was a similar article in the Bangkok Post today which warned of new strains of Covid and how people need to be aware of foreigners bringing them in to the country. I guess the SARS  Cov-2 virus only mutates outside of Thailand. That reminds me, about a year ago, wasn’t there a report which suggested a new variant had been found in Thailand and the government went out of their way to explain it may have been discovered in Thailand but not sourced in Thailand. Talk about sensitive 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MrNovax said:

After years of propaganda about how deadly covid is (its not) and how wearing face masks help (it doesnt) I am amazed this doesnt happen more often as well.  The problem with government propaganda and disinformation is that at some point it bubbles over and causes real harm.   

That’s such a tasteless and disrespectful post to the many people who have died around the world from the virus. You should be ashamed of yourself posting such nonsense. 

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

I wear a mask if I’m on the BTS or on a bus or in a Taxi. Not because I believe it helps a great deal in regard to spreading the virus, although every little helps, But because the local people do and I feel you should respect that. I don’t however feel that it’s necessary or in anyway justified to wear it in a large open space or even in a relatively open space of a large shopping mall. Confided spaces, particularly ones with limited natural ventilation are worth wearing a mask in. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

The old saying 'When in Rome do as the Romans do' comes to mind.

It's all about showing respect when you are in someone else's country.

I don't wear a mask when I am in Australia but I do when I am in Thailand in busy or crowded locations as a mark of respect for the people around me.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I was curious about the statement "Some said that wearing masks was not a law or a mandate anymore in Thailand". There was an article some weeks ago about the mandate being lifted "soon", but I've not heard anything further.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mazz11 said:

The old saying 'When in Rome do as the Romans do' comes to mind.

It's all about showing respect when you are in someone else's country.

I don't wear a mask when I am in Australia but I do when I am in Thailand in busy or crowded locations as a mark of respect for the people around me.

I have seen many of these cases where foreigners come into a country and think they can do anything they want and do not respect local laws, practices and cultures and even religion. Money or colour do not make you superior. RESPECT makes you worthy.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JED1 said:

I was curious about the statement "Some said that wearing masks was not a law or a mandate anymore in Thailand". There was an article some weeks ago about the mandate being lifted "soon", but I've not heard anything further.

The mandate making it compulsory to wear masks at all times was lifted, but with conditions.
It is still mandated to wear masks on public transport, cinemas, crowded places, and gatherings where social distancing cannot be maintained, or in poorly ventilated places. 

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40017023

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2403630/masks-rule-to-stay-for-public-transport

Large shopping malls for example no longer enforce wearing masks, but you may find you're not allowed to enter a bank without a face mask. Common sense should be applied.

Wearing a mask on public transport such as the BTS is still mandated, and the Thai man was correct to berate the foreigner for not wearing a mask.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wear a mask in shops, the supermarkets, malls etc., not because I think it does any good for me, or others, but out of respect for the Thais, as they are still wearing them.  I will stop when they stop. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

“Everyone seems to be a physician now”!! I’m in Bangkok now and have see hundreds of Thais not wearing mask, even getting onto the train and subway. Foreigners as well. It’s pretty much optional in all the places I’ve been to. If I’m asked to wear one in an establishment or see a sign I need to wear one I will-following the countries-the city laws. But if the establishment or place I go into says it’s optional “than mind your own business”!! 

Thank You

Marvin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MrNovax said:

I absolutely agree . The measures taken have not improved the situation, but created a lot of paranoia. There has been many studies about the efficiency or none efficiency of the masks in preventing the virus from spreading, one way or another . One thing however is for sure, hardly anyone uses them as they are supposed to do with regard to the way and the time they are worn . Going into the third year of the corona era we should now be more knowledgeable and critical .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Although I think this Thai cop is a piece of work and has zero right to berate the foreiner as is not his job or his position, the foreigner should be aware of his or her surroundings and see that the majority at 99.9% wear masks. I recently rode the sky train and airport link, and if have 100 foreigners 99.5 were not wearing masks. It sort of made me ticked off because I do know covid is heavily around and I do know 3 people who just had it last week. I wear them, and the reason is I really want to try to protect myself and my family as much as I can. I simply do not want to ingest someone's cough or a sneeze and bring that stuff home. And I have had covid twice now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

“Everyone seems to be a physician now”!! I’m in Bangkok now and have see hundreds of Thais not wearing mask, even getting onto the train and subway. Foreigners as well. It’s pretty much optional in all the places I’ve been to. If I’m asked to wear one in an establishment or see a sign I need to wear one I will-following the countries-the city laws. But if the establishment or place I go into says it’s optional “than mind your own business”!! 

Thank You

Marvin

The Thai biggest moral majority on public transport wear them. I was just in Bangkok in and out over the last month on several occasions. Not all on the street but go down to Pattaya then  it is even less out in the open. Fact is covid is hot and spreading here now again and masks do work to some point

42 minutes ago, Donald said:

One thing however is for sure, hardly anyone uses them as they are supposed to do with regard to the way and the time they are worn .

You obviously don't live in Thailand.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Haven't worn a mask in Thailand for ages. The only place I did was going in Superrich to change some cash a couple of months ago. Never experienced any problems BTS and all. 

There's always one local nutter around. 

I'd probably have laughed at the guy if he'd had a go at me... 

Exactly.

Exactly. (and maybe also a little racist..??)

Same me.

Again, exactly.

When I got back in September, I was one of the few not wearing a mask at the airport, all fine. My Thai private taxi driver was waiting for me at the meeting point, he was wearing a mask. We walked to the car, and as soon as we got in, he took his mask off, threw it on the floor and he said, and I quote: "stupid mask. Thai people are stupid". That's the Thailand I love.

• Thanks 2

The Thai World does not start and stop in Bangkok. or indeed in any Capital City.  Perhaps people need to be reminded every now and again that more people live outside the two big cities of Bangkok and CM than live in them. Making assumptions about a whole country and its people using the well known, and false,  'Capital City Syndrome' always leads you down the wrong road.  

• Like 2