News Forum - Airports of Thailand streamlining procedures, adding staff

Thaiger

With the first real high season since the Covid-19 pandemic getting underway, Airports of Thailand is streamlining procedures and adding staff. Minister of Transport Saksayam Chidchob inspected Thailand’s main hub, Suvarnabhumi Airport, to evaluate how prepared the airport is for a sharp increase in tourists. One major focus for airport readiness for an influx of tourists is crowd bottlenecking at immigration. With added staff and a streamlined passport control procedure, Saksayam reports that waiting times at immigration for arriving international travellers should be down to 15 minutes or less. Immigration officers have been trained to process each passport presented by […]

The story Airports of Thailand streamlining procedures, adding staff as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I find this article utterly incredible. This is an operation use to handling two to four times as many passengers and yet they are making it sound like they are finding new ways to deal with the volume. Resourcing at the airport should be fully understood and with adequate planning easily implemented. This isn’t progress, this is business as usual. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

I find this article utterly incredible. This is an operation use to handling two to four times as many passengers and yet they are making it sound like they are finding new ways to deal with the volume. Resourcing at the airport should be fully understood and with adequate planning easily implemented. This isn’t progress, this is business as usual. 

You apparently didn't travel or read a newspaper in 2021

All countries had very similar issues where travel ramped up quickly and they didn't have enough staff back

Toronto Airport was virtually untraveable for months 

I only took direct flights and only carried on for months because things were so bad at a lot of airports

If I couldn't do the above I postponed those trips for later 

Horror stories all over Europe 

My son arrived on the 26th of this month at 1250hrs and was not out of arrivals area before 1340hrs  .

He said delays at immigration were the problem changing wIting times every 10 mins are so .

So please tell me where this approx 45mins from arrival till exit comes from .

30 minutes ago, Gaz116 said:

My son arrived on the 26th of this month at 1250hrs and was not out of arrivals area before 1340hrs  .

He said delays at immigration were the problem changing wIting times every 10 mins are so .

So please tell me where this approx 45mins from arrival till exit comes from .

1250 to 1340 is only 50 minutes 🙄

The actual time in front of IO is only about 3 minutes max. I blame all these eager tourists coming over and slowing the system down ( but keep coming Thailand needs the money👍 )

15 hours ago, Marc26 said:

You apparently didn't travel or read a newspaper in 2021

All countries had very similar issues where travel ramped up quickly and they didn't have enough staff back

Toronto Airport was virtually untraveable for months 

I only took direct flights and only carried on for months because things were so bad at a lot of airports

If I couldn't do the above I postponed those trips for later 

Horror stories all over Europe 

I did both in 2021 and experienced the chaos you refer to. However, what airports are doing is not streamlining procedures. All they are doing is staffing to adequate levels to deal with the demand. Streamlining operations is where you remove stages of a process. Automate stages of a process or put other measure in place like conflict predictions in the process. This is basic getting the right number of staff in place. As the airport already has years of experience in dealing with current numbers then knowing the right staffing levels is easy. They just need to do it. Nothing streamlining about that. Simply making it out to be some wonderful piece of work by the government minister when it’s not. 

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

However, what airports are doing is not streamlining procedures.

AOT is slowly training new staff and removal of the TM6 has certainly speeded up Immigration.

The bottleneck is almost always security screening and this needs streamlining.  Do away with shoe and belt removal for a start.  From leaving the check in counter to airside can take an hour at BKK and and that is unacceptable.

Some airports have streamlined their systems, CNX for example, and pax move thru (each way) fairly fast now.  I was almost the last pax off a SIN arrival and dreading a long Q, but no, there were only 3 ahead of me and I was landside within 15 minutes of deplaning.

6 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

AOT is slowly training new staff and removal of the TM6 has certainly speeded up Immigration.

The bottleneck is almost always security screening and this needs streamlining.  Do away with shoe and belt removal for a start.  From leaving the check in counter to airside can take an hour at BKK and and that is unacceptable.

Some airports have streamlined their systems, CNX for example, and pax move thru (each way) fairly fast now.  I was almost the last pax off a SIN arrival and dreading a long Q, but no, there were only 3 ahead of me and I was landside within 15 minutes of deplaning.

I agree KR that the example given regarding the removal of the TM6 is streamlining, although that was done back in July of August I believe. It’s certainly not a recent initiative related to this article or visit by the Minister. 

I also totally agree about the changes that need to be made such as removal of shoes. Some weeks ago I posted a comment on this very issue. It’s 21 years ago that Richard Reed tried to blow up a Transatlantic flight and we are still taking our shoes off. New tech is about to be introduced at some U.K. airports where the plan is to do away with the 100ml liquid rule in hand luggage. 

There have also been some big improvements to a number of regional airports across Thailand in the last couple of years. None of these could be classified as streamlining operations to improve the recent problems at airports. That’s plain old piss poor management I’m afraid and to try and spin it as though Ministers and airport management are doing incredible innovative things to “streamline” operations is, as I, spin! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Toronto's solution was just to get rid of security they have had in place for 20+ years!!

If you entered Toronto from US to connect in Canada you had to clear customs and then go through security again

Since everyone was missing their flights, they just scrapped that security!

Which seems a bit wild to me................I guess was never really needed

22 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Airline security seems odd to me when compared to other terrorist transport options. Clearly a bomb on a plane is essentially terminal for the aircraft and all passengers and crew. But what about high speed rail for example? You can get on a train holding well over 500 people and place several large bombs in suitcases in various carriages, get off the train and then remotely detonate. Yet I never go through any form of suitcase checks on my bags or my person. Not even random checks or sniffer dogs are evident and certainly not body and bag scanners. What is it the airlines are protecting? Is it the passengers or the multi-million pound aircraft? 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 4:27 PM, Faz said:

1250 to 1340 is only 50 minutes 🙄

I think some people were waiting for 3+ hours in UK, and then there are  US airports like LAX and MIA where people can die while waiting. 🤥  I remember a decade back, when arrival in Phuket could take  an hour+

42 minutes ago, Vigo said:

I think some people were waiting for 3+ hours in UK, and then there are  US airports like LAX and MIA where people can die while waiting. 🤥  I remember a decade back, when arrival in Phuket could take  an hour+

Immigration wouldn’t know how to streamline anything. They may have removed the TM6 form but we now have to have our fingerprints taken. This is something that isn’t smooth as many people don’t place their fingers in the right place. Not only is this done on arrival, but their fancy new machines are used in departure also. This is in addition to their photograph being taken and their passport checked. Not to mention the TM30 reporting that hotels and private residencies have to report on.

I wouldn’t mind if there was a different level of checks for people who arrive with a proper visa compared to visa exempt. A person who applies for a tourist visa already supplied lots of information with scans of passports and pictures of themselves along with details and proof of airline booking. How much more information do they need for heavens sake. 

Totally paranoid and little if anything to do with criminal activity.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Toronto's solution was just to get rid of security they have had in place for 20+ years!!

If you entered Toronto from US to connect in Canada you had to clear customs and then go through security again

That can cause major drama and missed connections for transit pax especially in busy airports like Sydney where they even search toiletries and put everyone through a body scanner.

Australia's Border security procedures are among the most stringent and not at all pleasant.

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

That can cause major drama and missed connections for transit pax especially in busy airports like Sydney where they even search toiletries and put everyone through a body scanner.

Australia's Border security procedures are among the most stringent and not at all pleasant.

Believe me we know

We've almost missed 2 flights having to go through that 2nd security when landing in Toronto 

I just find it fascinating/bizzare they just got rid of it

We probably never needed it.....

When you land you are herded into customs then herded down a sealed walkway and end up in the domestic terminal

You've never had a chance to be anywhere else since you went through security and got on the plane in the US