News Forum - The WHO rename monkeypox to avoid racist stereotypes

Thaiger

In a bid to avoid racism and stigmatisation, the World Health Organization (WHO) is renaming monkeypox, mpox. The WHO will use mpox as a synonym for monkeypox. Both names will be used simultaneously for one year while monkeypox is phased out altogether. The move comes after the United Nations voiced concerns over the way the virus was being reported by the world’s media after an outbreak in May earlier this year. The UN believes the reporting appeared to “reinforce homophobic and racist stereotypes and exacerbate stigma.” The latest surge in monkeypox infections was among men who had sex with other […]

The story The WHO rename monkeypox to avoid racist stereotypes as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"Generally, it seeks to avoid associating any disease or virus with a country, region, animal or ethnic group"...

So what name are they working urgently on to rename chickenpox? Or is that not important because of the lack of sexual demographic affected?

• Like 4

What is racist about a Monkey? This is just pandering to the racists in the world. As for the stigma to homosexuals then once again the western world is pandering to unjustified sensitivities and are likely to be unable to pass on accurate information about the disease. If Monkeypox is mainly spread by the exchange of blood or other bodily fluid and mainly affect groups such as drug addicts sharing needles and homosexuals then that is a scientific fact and not one to hide. It informs these social groups to be more careful and lessens the fear of other social groups. It seems the all inclusive western world can’t make up its mind. Let’s be all inclusive but let’s not offend certain groups. Let’s mark them out for special treatment. 

As @Viggen840stated, what about Chickenpx (CPox) or even Birdflu (BFlu). Swine Flu and of course Mad Cow disease. Mind you, that last one may have been named after a few women I’ve met during my life 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Stop monkeying around!  Stop spanking the monkey! 

There are way too many monkeys in the ghetto! (this one is racist) 

He's got that monkey on his back (heroin addicts)  and  I hit her monkey hard last night

Many derogatory slang words associated

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Stop monkeying around!  Stop spanking the monkey! 

There are way too many monkeys in the ghetto! (this one is racist) 

He's got that monkey on his back (heroin addicts)  and  I hit her monkey hard last night

Many derogatory slang words associated

Poor old Monkeys. They are one of our closets evolutionary ancestors as well. We should be kinder. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Soidog said:

what about Chickenpx (CPox) or even Birdflu (BFlu). Swine Flu and of course Mad Cow disease

Put it all down to political correctness; a disease that is going to be the death of life as we know it.

• Like 2

Just now, Viggen840 said:

Put it all down to political correctness; a disease that is going to be the death of life as we know it.

100% right there. The only issue I’d pick up on is the phrase “going to”. I think it’s already happened. I’m even starting to notice it in Thailand. 😔

• Like 2

Because monkeys are humanoid animals, its common to refer to racially distinct foreigners as 'monkeys'. Blacks in Africa call white people monkeys, believe it or not. Japanese call the white race, monkeys. The notion isn't as inherently defamatory as it sounds: the observation is, they are like us, yet not. Which is what we see, when we look at nonhuman primates, so it's a natural connection, in the human mind, referring I suppose to an 'uncanny valley' effect. Then once we are familiar with the foreign race in question, the former observation of similarity plus difference, devolves into the abusive. 

I have met people who don't like to look at chimps because they are familiarly human, but mixed with animal characteristics, in a way makes people feel uncomfortable. First contacts between the Japanese and European sailors, elicited the same feelings, at least among the Japanese, that Europeans had an unsettling mixture of familiar and unfamiliar features, including a stronger body odour, they thought nonhuman. Not to justify racial abusive Ness, but people are oversensitive about racial things, these days

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Karolyn said:

Europeans had an unsettling mixture of familiar and unfamiliar features, including a stronger body odour

You aren’t confusing the dear old Japanese with the Thai Health Minister are you? 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The WHO rename monkeypox to avoid racist stereotypes 

Which group of monkeys did complain about this, then?

And which group of monkeys thinks it is valuable, to follow up on this? The p.c. world is loosing focus, methinks

• Like 2

On 11/29/2022 at 12:07 PM, Guest1 said:

Africanus niger (Linnaeus 1735)? But more likely Europaeus albae, presuming what Africanus niger wants, on its behalf? 

(Zoologists will understand the reference) 

Edited by Karolyn
  • Haha 1