News Forum - People of China protest on streets over mainland’s zero-Covid policy

Thaiger

The people of China appear to have had enough of the mainland’s zero-Covid policy.  Incredibly, the usually deferential Chinese people were on the streets calling for their nation’s leader, President Xi Jinping, to stand down. It wasn’t anarchy on the mainland streets over the weekend but it wasn’t far off as hundreds of people in several major cities clashed with police in Beijing, Shanghai, Wuhan, and Chengdu, over the government’s continuous unsustainable policy. China continues with its zero-Covid policy three years after the pandemic arose while the rest of the world has learned to live with it. Restrictions on travel […]

The story People of China protest on streets over mainland’s zero-Covid policy as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

One group was heard chanting…

“We don’t want masks, we want freedom. We don’t want Covid tests, we want freedom.”

Yeap, humans are only humans everywhere.

• Like 1

So if not enough prison space they can always wrap razor wire around these naughty neighborhoods and then recondition the naughty ones or harvest their organs and do away with them secretly never to be heard from again. XI and CCP are nothing but devils and why would XI care if he beat Mao's record for folk that perished under his rule if a huge country wide anti push came up against him. I love to see these good Chinese people waking up to see that their XI ruler is not a rose but a thorn that cuts and controls, and every move that he makes including Covid is the wrong one. Good luck to them.

• Like 2

This is all lies. Western propaganda spread by the Washington Post and the BBC. Everyone in China fully supports the Zero Covid Policy and loves the dear leader Xi.

Thought id save a certain member some time and post for him 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I sympathize with the Chinese Covid containment strategy in large part because I understand the impact a full outbreak of the infection would have. Based upon the  experience of other countries,  China with its 1 billion population could see its economy seize up, and its health care system collapse. As its economy slowed, western economies would be crippled and we would see worldwide supply chain delays again. China does not have the capacity to take care of the projected  millions of critical care patients. China government does not want to have a situation where millions of its  citizens die with many left to suffer, abandoned on the streets.

There is a stark explanation of the critical care issues facing China, which explain in large part why China has the draconian approach it has.   Published: 31 March 2020 Covid-19 in China: ten critical issues for intensive care medicine Li Li, Shijin Gong & Jing Yan   Critical Care volume 24, Article number: 124 (2020) 

Chinese people are  difficult to manage because of their large numbers.. They can be explosive  when gathered which explains why PRC must use its measures.  For all the westerners criticizing, keep in mind how poorly some of your own countries cared for critical care patients and then take into consideration that China's rural areas do not have a comprehensive health care system that can handle tens of thousands of  critical care patients. If rural people are ill, food production will be impacted. Consider what happens if China has famine caused riots. On the positive side for  westerners, no Chinese tourists keeps Thailand easy for you, so don't wish for a quick fix.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

I sympathize with the Chinese Covid containment strategy in large part because I understand the impact a full outbreak of the infection would have. Based upon the  experience of other countries,  China with its 1 billion population could see its economy seize up, and its health care system collapse. As its economy slowed, western economies would be crippled and we would see worldwide supply chain delays again. China does not have the capacity to take care of the projected  millions of critical care patients. China government does not want to have a situation where millions of its  citizens die with many left to suffer, abandoned on the streets.

There is a stark explanation of the critical care issues facing China, which explain in large part why China has the draconian approach it has.   Published: 31 March 2020 Covid-19 in China: ten critical issues for intensive care medicine Li Li, Shijin Gong & Jing Yan   Critical Care volume 24, Article number: 124 (2020) 

Chinese people are  difficult to manage because of their large numbers.. They can be explosive  when gathered which explains why PRC must use its measures.  For all the westerners criticizing, keep in mind how poorly some of your own countries cared for critical care patients and then take into consideration that China's rural areas do not have a comprehensive health care system that can handle tens of thousands of  critical care patients. If rural people are ill, food production will be impacted. Consider what happens if China has famine caused riots. On the positive side for  westerners, no Chinese tourists keeps Thailand easy for you, so don't wish for a quick fix.

Agree with a lot of what you say and it makes sense, but only pre-vaccination days. If China had deployed quality vaccines for the past two years then they would be as protected as anyone else and the numbers of critical patients in hospital would surely be manageable. China has attempted to use a lockdown strategy rather than a vaccine strategy to manage Covid. Always a flawed approach once it became clear this wasn’t a virus like Ebola and is here to stay.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vigo said:

Absolutely agree with what you have written but in the west measures such as lockdowns were only really employed until the majority had been vaccinated. After that some precautions remained for a while but essentially the countries opened back up because the situation was never going to get better.

China should be doing the same. Xi however has refused all offers of quality western vaccines although no doubt will have gotten them himself. Zero covid is a totally flawed concept unless you are going to try to keep your borders closed indefinitely and lockdown becomes permanent.

Even then you will still get cases because no border on the planet is totally secure.

• Like 4

I think we all know zero covid strategy  won't work. The other problem in China is the very low uptake of the vaccine (combined with a vaccine that had questionable effectiveness).  I am sorry Chinese people live like prisoners. I couldn't handle that. However from my selfish perspective, good that they are kept like this because it means I can live better for a little bit longer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Poolie said:

No-one lives like prisoners, well except prisoners of course, in China. Have you ever been? Clearly not. Dont believe the hype.

If there are restrictions of travel, including intra city movement forbdding people from leaving an area, then yes those are prisoner type conditions. There is no denying that tens of millions of Chinese cannot leave their small district or are forcibly sent to "treatment centers".

No I have not been to China during Covid becuase of travel restriction. I have been to China prior and not that my visa was  specifically limited to a specific city. I also recall being under surveillance. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Poolie said:

There aren't.

They aren't.

There isn't.

Don't believe the hype.

And yet these people who are protesting are forced to live in substandard dormitories which are a hotbed of covid infections.

Sounds a lot like an open prison to me. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Poolie said:

No-one lives like prisoners, well except prisoners of course, in China. Have you ever been? Clearly not. Dont believe the hype.

Try speaking out about the CCP and see how quick you become a fully fledged prisoner. How you can support those bunch of murdering tyrants is beyond me. Must be love! 

• Like 2